Willie Fritz interested in leaving Georgia Southern for Iowa State

Harry

Georgia Southern coach Willie Fritz has expressed interest in the Iowa State job, sources told CBS Sports.

The 55-year-old Fritz has guided the Eagles to a 16-6 record in two seasons as coach in Statesboro, Ga. The Eagles are currently 7-3 coming off an overtime loss at Georgia.

In his first year as head coach, Fritz led Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt title. Because the program was still transitioning to FBS, it was not allowed to play in a bowl game.

The Eagles lead FBS in rushing for the second straight year. Fritz runs a power run option scheme at Georgia Southern but has vast experience in running various kinds of offense.

“They have the ability to become more of a passing team,” said a source close to Fritz. “Part of Willie's thought process was they had so much success with option football, why go away and make a drastic change? I think he has the ability to go to more of a spread attack.”

read more:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25388043/willie-fritz-interested-in-leaving-georgia-southern-for-iowa-state

Going forward 4-5 years it will be interesting to compare the new North Texas coach to whomever is coaching at Georgia Southern whether it's Fritz or his replacement. The difficult realization for me is that history indicates the comparison will not even be close.

It seems that the only public interest we have had is coaches coming out and saying they have no interest in the job. I hope the mystery candidate not in the FOI request is for real cause I don't think I can handle getting an inside receivers coach from a DII school as our next head coach.