UTEP's Sean Kugler on UNT

Harry

Switching gears to North Texas

"Talking about our upcoming opponent, North Texas. They're probably a lot like us."

"They're a wounded animal; but wounded animals are dangerous. They have a 1-10 record and their coach, who I respect, was fired after the fifth game. That puts everyone in tough position with the coaching staff and the players."

"There's a lot of mixed emotions and have been through that situation; it's not fun. I think they'll be playing for their job. When you're in that situation, anything will go."

"We can expect anything in that game. We can expect trick plays and for them to pull out all the stops to win."

"Offensively, probably middle to lower of the pack as far statistical categories."

"But the one thing they always try to do in North Texas football is try to establish the run. They run the ball extremely well and average 161 yards per game with a 4.4 average per carry"

"They have a very capable running back in no. 26, (Jeffery) Wilson. He's got 774 yard and averages 5.5 per carry. They have physical cats up front that are guys who have been playing for a while."

"Their center is 6-foot-3, 320 pounds in no. 50, and their right guard is 6-4, 300."

"No. 9, who I felt was their best player last year, I don't feel any differently this year. Carlos Harris, their receiver, is their go-to guy. He played with some different quarterbacks, but he still has seven touchdowns this year and a 12.2 average. He's been a steady player for them the last three years."

"They have a little explosive receiver that also returns kicks for them, (Darvin) Kidsy. He's got two touchdowns receiving, he's got one touchdown throwing and they'll use him in some gadget-type situations. Then they have a solid tight end in Marcus Smith."

"I think they've been playing better on offense since they made this switch to DaMarcus Smith at quarterback. He's a junior college transfer, and a big kid. He's 6-1, 220 and solidly built. This guy has 982 yards passing with eight touchdowns and five interceptions. He's got a long 54-yard run and averaging 4.5 yards running the ball. He's another athletic quarterback that can pull the ball and be dangerous in that aspect."

"Defensively, it's statistically not great as far as numbers."

"They've been struggling in the running game, third downs and red zone touchdowns."

"But they do have some solid football players. They run a quarter scheme and in that scheme the safeties have to be your leading tackler and most explosive tacklers. And that's the case with them."

Their strong safety leads the team in tackles with 98. Their free safety is second on the team in tackles with 96.

"They do have a disruptive defensive end that can create some havoc in no. 30, (Jarrian) Roberts.  He leads their team in tackles for loss, sacks and quarterback hits; he's got 10-career sacks."

They have an outside linebacker, (Fred) Scott that has made a lot of plays for them. Then they have a cornerback that has 10-career interceptions and leads the team in interceptions this year with two."

"So they have capable players. It is their senior day and we're anticipating a weather game. It's probably going to be a high of 45 with rain. So both teams have to protect the football and run the football."

read more:  http://www.minerrush.com/2015/11/24/9793518/monday-lunch-with-kugler

Well yeah, but it's also nice that he has it spot-on.  And he probably remembers half of the ones that stood out anyway, because this is the 3rd straight year playing them now that we're conference mates.  His analysis of the stats is exactly how I'd call it, too.  Right now we're favored by 2.5, which is weird.  I know it's just the line and not actually what we're expected to win by, but I'm surprised to see us favored at all.  I guess even with this awful season, they're still considering the decent home advantage at Apogee.

• Upvote 1

they will beat UNT by 3 TDs

I think its a possibility but I could see things going our way too. I thought UTSA would destroy us and I was thrilled we won. UTEP lost to UTSA by 3 TDs so anything can happen. Garbage weather is a big equalizer and we run better. Their injuries are pretty bad, especially at running back, according to the El Paso Times. Hopefully it plays into out favor.

With fans like '90 how can we lose.

I'll be there.

Will you?

I think its a possibility but I could see things going our way too. I thought UTSA would destroy us and I was thrilled we won. UTEP lost to UTSA by 3 TDs so anything can happen. Garbage weather is a big equalizer and we run better. Their injuries are pretty bad, especially at running back, according to the El Paso Times. Hopefully it plays into out favor.

I don't think we will be able to score against their defense. It will be interesting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1