Samford (11/24/15)

CMJ

We are technically 2-2. Those wins counted on the record and will sit there in the W column all season long whether you don't like it or agree with it. 

can we add the midnight madness scrimmage? Sure we lost, but we also won. That's one more for Benford! 

I like the turn around so far this season. 

Noticed from the Idaho came, as soon as a player made mistake they were benched. I know this happened in the early Benford years. Apparently it is still happening. 

That went away last year, but now it's back. He does not let them loose. When they feel comfortable taking shots they make shots. We shot poorly from beyond the arc tonight, but most of that was due to poor offense and hesitation. Tomorrow all the coaches should sit and allow the players to take a few chances shooting the ball. Watson, Davis, Thomspon etc... All would shoot 3 or 4 feet from behind the three point line. They would pull up right in their opponents face. These players need to have the same freedom.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

What makes me mad is I really do think this is a more talented team than last year.  They just don't have any chemistry.

That's to be expected. You can't roll in all these new faces and expect them to look like a team. 

Bigger programs can do it that way bc they replace great talent with great talent. Almost all of the good mid majors cultivate their talent for 3 or 4 years. How many times do you see a JR/SR laden mid major team making runs in the NCAA tourney? There is almost one or two every year. Bedford can find talent, but he can't keep it here. He doesn't really have a system either.  There is plenty of talent on the floor for North Texas, but there is no system for that talent to run. It's all about the fast break. No half court offense. No solid defensive principles. 

Anyone whose been around winning basketball programs knows that you can win with either supreme talent or a team that has great chemistry combined with a solid system.  From my experience I've been around one of the winningest coaches in the state of Texas and our teams were built off the later. I played ball with guys for 6 to 7 years. We knew what everyone was thinking on the court. It was constantly great communication. 

• Upvote 2

We are technically 2-2. Those wins counted on the record and will sit there in the W column all season long whether you don't like it or agree with it. 

0-2 in the regular season. Those wee exhibitions against terrible opponents, whether they count for the record or not.

I guess I could take solace in the fact that we didn't lose by 59 points...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Seriously guys, I checked this board for one reason, one reason alone, and that was to see a quality dumpster on fire pic. Y'all let me down. Hang your heads in shame

I think we need to elevate beyond just a dumpster fire.  A dumpster fire might be enough for most schools, but we aren't losing like most schools.  Most schools win at least a game in their OWN tourney that was setup with the goal of getting the team some easy wins.

I'd really like to know what is keeping us from letting Benford go.  It can't just be money.

Gawd almighty l we lost to Samford at home?  They went 14-19 last year with 4 road wins..geez.

You can either jump on this bandwagon and try and encourage a change, or keep wasting your time and money attending games encouraging things stay the same.   

Either one.

Rick

I don't know... Getting the family out of the house, off the TVs, phones, etc., watching inexpensive college basketball, cheering for and supporting my school with my kids is not a waste of my time or money. Win, lose, or draw, it's money and time well spent. 

• Upvote 4

I don't know... Getting the family out of the house, off the TVs, phones, etc., watching inexpensive college basketball, cheering for and supporting my school with my kids is not a waste of my time or money. Win, lose, or draw, it's money and time well spent. 

I wish I felt the same. I just can't... I get way too emotionally involved. It's not fun for me if my team loses and it's especially not fun when you are already playing a team no one has heard of in front of 1,500 people. The last game I went to we were playing the New Mexico Technical Institute for the Blind or some such and there were maybe 500 people there. We were barely holding them off too. To me, it was a total beating and I'd much rather spend my time elsewhere. I can see why attendance is so low with the quality on the court. You have the Mavericks in the same metroplex and 3 other college teams that play much better quality basketball to go watch(UTA, SMU, TCU). When you are competing for people's hard earned money and time you have to put a better quality on the court. 

• Upvote 1

Hey,...if you have absolutely nothing else to do then it may be for you and the family.  To each his own.   But for this program it does nothing but give this administration validation that things are just fine the way they are.  

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

There aren't many like you and your family...as proven by the 80% empty seats around you at the Super Pit most nights.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think watching Combs is reason enough to attend the games.  If Mitchell had half his motor he would be a star in the NBA.  

This a young team that will get better, but with major faults.  Both losses were due to very erratic point play and poor defense under the basket.  Brice and Fuller will get better, and NT has a lot of quickness at point.  Reese struggled at A&M and I wonder if Benford and staff are going to be able to develop him any more.  Nether Brown or Reese could handle a very basic press by inferior athletes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

outside of watching the occasional football and basketball game on tv.... and voicing my displeasure of the direction of the entire program... UNT isn't getting a dime from me... apparel, donations, ticket purchases... none of it.   

I care, but I won't support this brand of athletics. 

I'm not really surprised the team is sitting at 2-2 right now.  Given the churn in the roster, building chemistry was a concern I had.  Some of the turnovers are related to people not being in the places other players are expecting them to be.  The ally-oop pass for the dunk was thrown too high.  Again, I think that has more to do with chemistry more than anything.

Hopefully this gets better by the time conference play comes around, otherwise we'll be hunting for a bottom position in the conference tournament again this year.

• Upvote 1