Jinks vs. Withers?

Harry

Jinks vs. Withers?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Jinks vs. Withers?

• Mike Jinks (Assistant at Texas Tech)
    • Everitt Withers (Head Coach at JMU)

Both names have come up as possibilities.  Withers has more college football experience and head coaching experience.  Jinks brings Texas ties and high school experience to the table.  Which way do you go if you are North Texas? 

Care to expound on your thoughts there?  I have an idea of what you are referring to but it would be interested to hear it.

Withers has been a college coach over 25 years, coached in the NFL,  and has been a Defensive Coordinator at four P5 universities. He's currently the head coach at James Madison where he's had a winning record every year he's been there.  

Mike Jinks - 3 years RB coach at Texas Tech. 

Jinks' vs Withers' resume isn't even close.  

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Withers has been a college coach over 25 years, coached in the NFL,  and has been a Defensive Coordinator at four P5 universities. He's currently the head coach at James Madison where he's had a winning record every year he's been there.  

the one issue I see is Withers has ZERO Texas ties.  also, just because hes bounced around from NFL to College doesn't mean hes a good fit for North Texas. 
in UNT's case, it doesn't mean he's light years ahead of Jinks.  Jinks very well might not be the right fit, but what he does have over Withers is the state of Texas.
one thing is for sure, there are more kids that know about Jinks in Texas than they do of Withers.  

Edited by meangreen08
  • Upvote 3

Jinks texas ties are priceless when it comes to recruiting. Would take him hands down 

• Upvote 2

Texas ties are overrated. Didn't do Dodge much good. 

dodge biggest down fall wasn't texas ties. It was not having college assistants. And he didn't have 3 years experience seeing how a big 12 program was ran

Frank Wilson... Jinks is a mirror image if Wilson.  Wilson is mainly known in LA, more experience.

yes since lsu is lighting up score boards with all those 5 star recruits and nunber one running back in the nation. No thanks 

• Upvote 5

Agree. Dodge's Texas ties were huge in getting us the talent that won the HOD bowl.

Exactly.  So we've seen a well-known, experienced coach come in here and ONLY win with the recruits that a Texas name brought in.  Unless it's somebody with national name recognition, then we need somebody with Texas ties.  So whether it's a coordinator or position coach at a big school (as we've been told) or an up-and-comer from the FCS ranks, we'd better get the right guy for once.  Because I'm well convinced that we've had "the right guy" at the wrong job, if that makes any sense, these last 2 hires.  Dodge and Mac are great guys with great philosophies overall, just not the right coaches for the place and time.  So I don't care which it is (lower level HC or upper level AC/OC/DC), as long as they can get the right guys AND coach the hell out of them.

• Upvote 3

dodge biggest down fall wasn't texas ties. It was not having college assistants. And he didn't have 3 years experience seeing how a big 12 program was ran

yes since lsu is lighting up score boards with all those 5 star recruits and nunber one running back in the nation. No thanks 

I know.. Its not like the guy recruited Odell Beckham, La'El Collins, Zach Mettenburg and Jarvis Landry in 2011 alone....

https://lsu.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?coach=2148&sport=1&year=2011

Forgot to mention that LSU has the #1 ranked recruiting class for 2016 and a top 5 class in 2015.. Frank Wilson has been the recruiting coordinator at LSU longer than Jinks has been in college football.

I don't have any idea which players Wilson is personally responsible for recruiting, but recruiting takes on a completely different challenge when you are calling on a player wearing LSU colors, vs calling on a player wearing North Texas colors. I also perceive it as a situation where you are being "called" by coaches vs "calling on" coaches. 

Wilson may have a lot of "national" contacts, but those contacts were established for the purpose of a High School coach getting his player(s) into a SEC school. How many of those same coaches are trying to get their players into North Texas? I guarantee that if Wilson were to make contact with all the same coaches that he's made contact with as a SEC recruiting coordinator, the conversation will go much differently when he's contacting them as the North Texas head coach.

Jinks is young, energetic, positive, a hard worker, and I don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say that he's made a ton of contacts amongst Texas coaches. 

With McCarney we've already seen how well a coach has done who's experience has mostly been out of Texas.....even with all his "skins". Obviously not enough coaches and players were impressed. 

In fact North Texas got their first lesson about that when they hired Rod Rust back in 67. His only experience in Texas, both before and after, was his tenure as the North Texas coach. The knock on him was that he was a great X and O's coach, but he couldn't recruit. In fact his longest tenure ANYWHERE was here at North Texas. Another tribute to the competency of our administrators. 

Anyway,  I don't see how we could go wrong with a highly motivated, hard working, Texas born coach who's gotten the same amount of college coaching experience in as Art Briles before his first gig as a head coach.

And if Jinks is not available, then what ever happened to Coach Thompsen as a possibility?

• Upvote 2

I don't have any idea which players Wilson is personally responsible for recruiting, but recruiting takes on a completely different challenge when you are calling on a player wearing LSU colors, vs calling on a player wearing North Texas colors. I also perceive it as a situation where you are being "called" by coaches vs "calling on" coaches. 

Wilson may have a lot of "national" contacts, but those contacts were established for the purpose of a High School coach getting his player(s) into a SEC school. How many of those same coaches are trying to get their players into North Texas? I guarantee that if Wilson were to make contact with all the same coaches that he's made contact with as a SEC recruiting coordinator, the conversation will go much differently when he's contacting them as the North Texas head coach.

Jinks is young, energetic, positive, a hard worker, and I don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say that he's made a ton of contacts amongst Texas coaches. 

With McCarney we've already seen how well a coach has done who's experience has mostly been out of Texas.....even with all his "skins". Obviously not enough coaches and players were impressed. 

In fact North Texas got their first lesson about that when they hired Rod Rust back in 67. His only experience in Texas, both before and after, was his tenure as the North Texas coach. The knock on him was that he was a great X and O's coach, but he couldn't recruit. In fact his longest tenure ANYWHERE was here at North Texas. Another tribute to the competency of our administrators. 

Anyway,  I don't see how we could go wrong with a highly motivated, hard working, Texas born coach who's gotten the same amount of college coaching experience in as Art Briles before his first gig as a head coach.

And if Jinks is not available, then what ever happened to Coach Thompsen as a possibility?

In 2011, after his first full year at LSU, he recruited Odell Beckham, La'El Collins, Zach Mettenburg and Jarvis Landry in 2011 alone. I think that answers your question if the guy can bring in talent.  Completely agree comparing UNT to LSU.  I'm not saying that we're LSU, I'm just saying what has Tech done lately??  Be an average Big 12 team while LSU is a top 20 program and top recruiting class every year.  

Wilson mainly recruits LA, not nationally. I'm actually a big fan of us going back to recruiting guys from MS, AL, LA, KS.  I'm friends with most of the Dodge players, so I'm slightly bias.  

I just think that its funny that a guy who's much more qualified, not to mention when they have the same story.....