Starting to warm up to Jinks

Harry

“I just love the energy he brings,” running back DeAndre Washington said. “Sometimes we don’t always have the best practices, but the one thing we can count on is coach Jinks keeping us amped up on the sidelines.”

Washington said he knew of Steele’s powerhouse reputation, but didn’t realize Jinks’ association with the Knights until he was hired by Tech.

“I see how he was able to win at Cibolo Steele,” Washington said, “because he’s a hard-working dude, he’s dedicated and he loves his job. I’m glad to have him.”

Now that he’s a college coach, Jinks says he’s wanting to do well not only for himself and Tech, but for those he represents — Texas high school coaches. Jinks has been the lead recruiter for about one-third of the players committed to Tech for next February’s class, something he attributes to his relationships with high school coaches.

“The Texas high school football coaches have been an unbelievable resource,” he said. “There’s a lot of guys out there in the state of Texas that want to see Mike Jinks be successful, because I’m one of them.

“All those high school guys want to be the next one, so anything you can do, the more guys like myself that go off and are able to have some success, the more doors can be opened.”

read more:  http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2013-08-21/kingsbury-techs-appeal-persuaded-jinks-leave-highly#.VlM8Qr9WeFY

“I just love the energy he brings,” running back DeAndre Washington said. “Sometimes we don’t always have the best practices, but the one thing we can count on is coach Jinks keeping us amped up on the sidelines.”

Washington said he knew of Steele’s powerhouse reputation, but didn’t realize Jinks’ association with the Knights until he was hired by Tech.

“I see how he was able to win at Cibolo Steele,” Washington said, “because he’s a hard-working dude, he’s dedicated and he loves his job. I’m glad to have him.”

Now that he’s a college coach, Jinks says he’s wanting to do well not only for himself and Tech, but for those he represents — Texas high school coaches. Jinks has been the lead recruiter for about one-third of the players committed to Tech for next February’s class, something he attributes to his relationships with high school coaches.

“The Texas high school football coaches have been an unbelievable resource,” he said. “There’s a lot of guys out there in the state of Texas that want to see Mike Jinks be successful, because I’m one of them.

“All those high school guys want to be the next one, so anything you can do, the more guys like myself that go off and are able to have some success, the more doors can be opened.”

read more:  http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2013-08-21/kingsbury-techs-appeal-persuaded-jinks-leave-highly#.VlM8Qr9WeFY

I'm telling you. 

• Upvote 3

I agree! May not be the splash hire but checks the other boxes! U tube video looks to be an impressive guy!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'll take one of him, with a side of the best DC we can buy. That is all. 

Let us not forget having a great DC, RV. If Mac, Dickey, Skladany and Dickey's one great DC had anything in common - and had right - was that you gotta have the sort of defense that can do more than stop offenses, it should be able to create turnovers and put its own points on the board. I want a DC that has that sort of philosophy and the resume to back it up.

• Upvote 3

Jinks played quarterback at Converse Judson High School and at Angelo State. He was head coach at San Antonio Burbank for one season before going to Steele.

He coached the West team at last week’s U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

In a story last week in the San Antonio Express-News, Jinks said he hated the offseason because speculation the last few years about when he would leave Steele. On the other hand, Jinks said he would love the challenge of recruiting.

“I’m a competitor,” he told the Express-News. “If I became a college coach, it would be to become a head coach someday. I don’t want to be a position coach for the next 15, 20 years.”

Kingsbury says that he wants coaches with ambition on his staff.

During a December interview with the A-J, Kingsbury said, “I want guys who want to be a head coach. I think that’s how you get the best work. I want them to want to have my seat.”

read more:  http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2013-01-09/reports-tech-hires-successful-san-antonio-area-hs-coach-assistant#.VlNyr79WeFY

This is my first post.  My name is Doug Rush and I am the head baseball coach at Tomball High School.  I grew up in Denton and played on the North Texas club baseball team in 82 and 83 and on its varsity program in 84 and 85.  We were not very good but we were not given a chance to be either.  I graduated from North Texas in 1986.  I coached at Denton High until 1992 before I left to pursue head coaching opportunities.  I love Denton and I love The Mean Green despite the terrible way they treated baseball in the 80's.

Anyway, I am a personal friend of Mike Jinks.  We coached together and ran around together when he was right out of college and we were coaching at Killeen Ellison High School.  I am telling you right now that the moment I met him I knew he was destined for greatness.  He was a great quarterback at Converse Judson and a legendary quarterback at San Angelo State.  And yes he loves to throw the football for you guys that were inquiring.  Mike will light up a room with his personality.  The kids he coaches love him.  He is a great football mind and he has all the intangible to be a GREAT head college football coach.  And Mike wants the U.N.T. football job. I believe he will be incredible at recruiting, at assembling a staff, at promoting the city of Denton, and  at promoting our university. He is a humble but confident guy and he never meets a stranger.  Other coaches would love to work for him because he would be a guy you work with and not for. 

I sure hope he gets the opportunity to at least interview because I think he has a great plan in place for when he gets his opportunity. 

Doug great to hear from you and thanks for sharing the info on Coach Jinks.  I was at UNT about when you were (graduated in '90) and was saddened when they dropped baseball.   The good news is there seems to be some momentum to bring it back again.  Hopefully this will provide an opportunity to reconnect with former players such as yourself down the road.

I am hearing really good things about Coach Jinks and your comments on him as an alum, former UNT letterman and coach carry some weight.  Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.

This is my first post.  My name is Doug Rush and I am the head baseball coach at Tomball High School.  I grew up in Denton and played on the North Texas club baseball team in 82 and 83 and on its varsity program in 84 and 85.  We were not very good but we were not given a chance to be either.  I graduated from North Texas in 1986.  I coached at Denton High until 1992 before I left to pursue head coaching opportunities.  I love Denton and I love The Mean Green despite the terrible way they treated baseball in the 80's.

Anyway, I am a personal friend of Mike Jinks.  We coached together and ran around together when he was right out of college and we were coaching at Killeen Ellison High School.  I am telling you right now that the moment I met him I knew he was destined for greatness.  He was a great quarterback at Converse Judson and a legendary quarterback at San Angelo State.  And yes he loves to throw the football for you guys that were inquiring.  Mike will light up a room with his personality.  The kids he coaches love him.  He is a great football mind and he has all the intangible to be a GREAT head college football coach.  And Mike wants the U.N.T. football job. I believe he will be incredible at recruiting, at assembling a staff, at promoting the city of Denton, and  at promoting our university. He is a humble but confident guy and he never meets a stranger.  Other coaches would love to work for him because he would be a guy you work with and not for. 

I sure hope he gets the opportunity to at least interview because I think he has a great plan in place for when he gets his opportunity. 

He is quickly becoming that under the radar coaching prospect that comes out of no where to nab the job. I'll admit I have a list of 40 names that I started developing the coach tracker from. He one of the very few I didnt have. He checks off most of the boxes. Everything you read and see about him impresses. While maybe not being a splash hire, he could certainly be the right hire. 

• Upvote 3

thank you for sharing this with us Mr rush. This makes me really hopeful he gets the job. I think he could do great things at UNT. 

• Upvote 1

"Doug great to hear from you and thanks for sharing the info on Coach Jinks.  I was at UNT about when you were (graduated in '90) and was saddened when they dropped baseball.   The good news is there seems to be some momentum to bring it back again.  Hopefully this will provide an opportunity to reconnect with former players such as yourself down the road.

I am hearing really good things about Coach Jinks and your comments on him as an alum, former UNT letterman and coach carry some weight.  Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us."

Harry.  Thanks.  Trust me I am keeping up with the progress on re-starting baseball.  It is something I think is long overdue at U.N.T and I am really happy to see it in the plans.  But I will save that discussion for another time.  I really want to promote Mike Jinks --- he is a real good fit in my opinion. 

• Upvote 6

"He was coaching high school two years ago.. I don't want to go down this road again"

UNTflyer I understand what you are saying.  As a high school coach I am a little biased.  I think there are some really good high school coaches that would make excellent college coaches and there are presently 3 or 4 coaches coaching big time division 1 football that were Texas high school coaches not that long ago. 

North Texas was burned by the Todd Dodge hire. I understand that.  By the way, I was in attendance at a couple of games in Dickey's last year when it seemed like 90% of the fan base was demanding that Todd Dodge be hired. No one wants to admit that now.  I personally think Dodge would have been successful eventually but was learning as he went.  Plus, it always bothered me that he did not move to Denton.  I think the head football coach ought to live in Denton.  BUT, I don't think the Dodge hire is something that should keep Jinks out of the loop.  I can guarantee you if you spent 5 minutes in a room with him you would want to suit up and play.  He will get players to U.N.T. and he will do a good job coaching them.  I am pretty sure Briles was only an assistant at Tech for two or three years before scoring the Houston job.  I am biased but I think Mike has worked his way up the hard way and will do a good job.  He didn't have anyone's coattails to ride on for an instant D-1 job right out of college.  He is ready.

• Upvote 6

Dodge also didn't have ANY college experience. A lot of people can agree that Dodge should have started out in college football coaching as an assistant, before working as a head coach. Jinks at least has some college experience and he has been coaching in the P5's (especially the Big 12, which is better for a Texas recruiting standpoint). I don't think it's fair to classify him in the possible Dodge category IMO. He is not my first pick to be honest, but I do think he carries the qualities of a good HC.

Dodge also didn't have ANY college experience. A lot of people can agree that Dodge should have started out in college football coaching as an assistant, before working as a head coach. Jinks at least has some college experience and he has been coaching in the P5's (especially the Big 12, which is better for a Texas recruiting standpoint). I don't think it's fair to classify him in the possible Dodge category IMO. He is not my first pick to be honest, but I do think he carries the qualities of a good HC.

I don't get it either.  Dodge's biggest problem was bringing his entire HS staff with him.  Seems as though the circumstances are different. 

As you said, he is getting experience at this level now. What does he have to show for it? Well, DeAndre Washington leads the Big12 in rushing yards. 

That says a lot for a team that doesn't have a ground & pound philosophy. TTU's QB has thrown for more yards than any QB. 500 more than Boykin, 700 more than Mayfield. 

I would be pleased with this hire. 

• Upvote 4