Idaho (11/23/15)

CMJ

Lol.

Just because I haven't "seen them play" doesn't mean I don't know the talent, specifically the lack of talent at the 4 and 5. 

Have you been through the schedule, son? 

And weren't you the same person that said we would beat every team we played in the Mean Green Classic?

Assist to TO ratio from our point guards has been really bad, especially for the level of competition we have played so far. The only inside offensive threat is Combs, and he is undersized for our conference (although a player I definitely am happy UNT has). 

While there are some pieces, this is far from a complete team. 

I'm thinking about coming up for the N Iowa game. I doubt anything that happens when I see this team live will change my opinion. 

Oh, and just about all of the talent evaluators kinda agree with me. Just check and see where we are predicted to finish in CUSA if you don't believe me.

I said we should sweep the MG Classic. I stand by tha comment. Idaho was not a talented team. We should win the next 2. There is talent on the roster. Last night was a coaching blunder. We scored 12 points on the last 13 minutes. In those 13 minutes we were in the double bonus and still only dropped in 12 points. That's coaching. How the game was called we should've shot 30 FT from that point on, but Benford was doing Benford things. 

Most of us want Benford gone. But we should still look at this team realistically while rooting for this team. We need success this season because we have 3 freshmen studs on this roster that we can't afford losing to transfer. 

The next coward that -1's me better be ready to come my house and play me one on one in my driveway on a 6 FT goal.

It is a plastic goal and purple and red? 

• Upvote 1

We all knew he could create the monster, but no one ever expected him to control him. Between this and the Kramdrew ugliness, it's been a tough couple of weeks for message board family trees.

I love the name Kramdrew...perhaps Ryan Gooding or Ben Munthe could also become a thing as well, on here.

But then again, I'd probably get included in this with the title UNTjim9095, which is really confusing and not that funny...

• Upvote 4

I said we should sweep the MG Classic. I stand by tha comment. Idaho was not a talented team. We should win the next 2. There is talent on the roster. Last night was a coaching blunder. We scored 12 points on the last 13 minutes. In those 13 minutes we were in the double bonus and still only dropped in 12 points. That's coaching. How the game was called we should've shot 30 FT from that point on, but Benford was doing Benford things. 

Most of us want Benford gone. But we should still look at this team realistically while rooting for this team. We need success this season because we have 3 freshmen studs on this roster that we can't afford losing to transfer. 

Yes we were the more talented team, but Idaho's pace of play was not something our guys could handle. We struggle mightly in the halfcourt game. Part of that problem was because Brice was out there adding more cloggage to the lane. Like @GMG24 said get 4 guards out there and open the floor up more. We are so good at running the floor why not see what a small guard oriented offense could do. Reese and Brown get in the lane pretty much when they want. Surround them with shooters and lets go. Sure you sacrifice on the defensive end, but that may be okay. 

• Upvote 1

It is a plastic goal and purple and red? 

So let me get this straight. We lose, at home, to a team with little talent and have big coaching blunders, yet you expect this to be different than the previous 3 years?

Also, maybe the reason we didn't go inside is that we don't have an inside threat?

Just a thought...

• Upvote 1

BTW, how many seats in The Super Pit had actual butts-in-seats yesterday evening?

Attendance was reported at 1,756, which seemed spot on, maybe even on the light side.  I thought we easily had around 2,000 last night.

• Upvote 1

I'll add my observations.  Absolutely horrible officiating, calling it close is ok, making a ton of bad calls and non-calls is just bad.   However, it was that way for both teams, so no excuse.  

NT lost a very winnable game by careless turnovers and poor free shooting. 

Combs continues to be a force, got to get him the ball more down low.  Got to improve on free throws, or he is going to continue to get mugged.

Other bigs as expected are not ready for prime time.   Brice however, can become a game changer with more playing time and better stamina.

Our point guard tandem looked anything but good in this game, although Reese had a good shooting game. 

Sad to see, Harris is back to his old antics.  Talent without any self control is a enormous waste. 

I liked what I saw of Johnson 

Although none of the freshmen were particularly good against Idaho, I do think it is easily the best class that Benford has recruited.  

Benford was badly out-coached in this game.  Idaho dictated the pace, and won with IMO a lot less talent. 

I think playing the opening 2 games against next to no competition, hurt the team against Idaho.

Disappointing game, but I think this team could gel into the best Benford team by far.  Not saying much, but this team does have some athletes.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

I adimittedly get pretty lax with capitalization, too...but damn man...I think here maybe an edit would be appropriate

I gave you all 17 negative votes for this post...and in a game to 10 I'd drop 20 on your ass. 

oops lol fixed it. My apologies, although the little Brown kid, has the best first step we have seen from any guard in a LONG time.  If he can learn to control the ball during that look out he is your PG without a doubt.  Reese wants to score too much to be a true PG. 

This is not true at all. Sure they're good players, but there are no players on this roster that an actual good coach and recruiter could not replace. 

Combs? Sure he could be "replaced" but that's a hard sell IMO. If JJ was here sure I could say anyone could leave but, we passed up Scott Cross last time around. The guy who coached a team who just beat Ohio State on the road, the guy who wanted this job.  The guy who RV didn't even call to interview. Oops

• Upvote 1

Combs? Sure he could be "replaced" but that's a hard sell IMO. If JJ was here sure I could say anyone could leave but, we passed up Scott Cross last time around. The guy who coached a team who just beat Ohio State on the road, the guy who wanted this job.  The guy who RV didn't even call to interview. Oops

Yeah, sure a good coach could replace him. In year 1? Probably not. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying a good coach could win here with these players or with his own players. A new coach would only get two years of Combs, and we'd hope by year 3 he's able to build a roster to offset the loss of an all-conference guy like Combs and still have a good team.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

We all try so hard to get behind Tony and he just makes it so damn hard.

Whoever criticizes North Texas fans should have to watch this game and the Alabama Huntsville game over and over again in eternity.

Before the season starts every year I always think: "Hmm.. Look at these recruits. Maybe he finally got the recruits that can cover for Benford's coaching incompetence." Then every year it becomes very clear that we have a bunch of good or at least decent CUSA level players who just look like they haven't been coached the fundamentals of basketball. It's disappointing. 

• Upvote 1

I never heard one thing about Cross wanting the NT job.

• Upvote 2

You can easily see the transition in competition from NAIA to NCAA Division I. The officials were calling tick tack fouls and were absolutely terrible, but we had too many wasted opportunities at the end to put the blame solely on the referees.

The crowd looked good, more than 2,000. I wonder if that 1,700 number was the reported attendance for both games? There was nobody at the Samford/Troy game.

• Upvote 1

You can easily see the transition in competition from NAIA to NCAA Division I. The officials were calling tick tack fouls and were absolutely terrible, but we had too many wasted opportunities at the end to put the blame solely on the referees.

The crowd looked good, more than 2,000. I wonder if that 1,700 number was the reported attendance for both games? There was nobody at the Samford/Troy game.

These are still our non-NAIA "cupcake games." Just wait until the transition to real Division I talent.