Idaho (11/23/15)

CMJ

Cannot believe Reese turned the ball over 9 times and free throws were awful. Combs had a chance to put us up at the line and missed both. 

The refs made the game even more miserable than it already was.

If we  do if we do not win our next two our season might we well be over. We have some really good freshman, but it's not clicking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Fundamentals cost UNT that game. Simple plays. 

Why keep Brice on the floor at times when he is no threat to score?

Our bigs have no idea what to do with the double team. Too much dribbling 

Combs struggles in low post defense

Brown is a damn fine player. Reminds me of a Big East guard. 

We have no clue in the half court. We can score when we push it, but otherwise we struggle. 

Free throw block out! Come on. 

Idaho was well prepared and took us out of our game. 

The rules have changed to try and increase scoring. Sadly, it's just going to slow down the game, especially early in the season while kids adjust.

You would've fouled out in 2 minutes with these rules. We might as well just watch these guys play in bubble wrap bc no contact is allowed. Or maybe we put sensors on the players that buzz when an opposing player touches them so the ref can blow the whistle. 

Ive honestly never seen a team get called for more charges than North Texas. Our basketball team runs over more defenders than the football team does. 

• Upvote 3

You would've fouled out in 2 minutes with these rules. We might as well just watch these guys play in bubble wrap bc no contact is allowed. Or maybe we put sensors on the players that buzz when an opposing player touches them so the ref can blow the whistle. 

Ive honestly never seen a team get called for more charges than North Texas. Our basketball team runs over more defenders than the football team does. 

if they don't allow contact, I may be gone after a minute.

• Upvote 1

The rules have changed to try and increase scoring. Sadly, it's just going to slow down the game, especially early in the season while kids adjust.

It was awful to watch for both sides. I felt for both teams because it made the game so slow. I did not feel like I was actually watching a basketball game most of the time. Slow and boring.

The charge call on Reese is what did us in. It was not a charge and should have been an and 1 to put us up, but instead it spiraled out of control from there. We should have won but  so much went wrong it doesn't even matter. The player were really upset at the end. Combs slammed the ball down and was ticked off. Hoping they use this to come out and dominate tomorrow I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This sounds like the worst officiating crew ever. What's it like at the game? 

The officiating was absolutely atrocious.I know there are new rule changes but damn.

We were the better team tonight and got out coached down the stretch. We were in the double bonus with 14 minutes to go in the 2nd half and Brice got 2 touches. And he can knock down free throws. 

Very exciting game to watch and this team is Benford's best team and it's not even close. Should be a very entertaining season. Come check em out tomorrow night vs Samford. The entire atmosphere is actually worth the drive for the out of towners. 

Also, good attendance tonight. Officiating tonight though, ugh.  

It was awful to watch for both sides. I felt for both teams because it made the game so slow. I did not feel like I was actually watching a basketball game most of the time. Slow and boring.

The charge call on Reese is what did us in. It was not a charge and should have been an and 1 to put us up, but instead it spiraled out of control from there. We should have won but  so much went wrong it doesn't even matter. The player were really upset at the end. Combs slammed the ball down and was ticked off. Hoping they use this to come out and dominate tomorrow I guess.

It was nothing close to a charge. The Idaho player was a foot and a half inside the restricted circle. It should have been an and 1 and that very well would have sealed the game. Complete BS. Send those pitiful refs to the unemployment line. 

• Upvote 2

Seems all I've heard about is the greatness of Ja'Michael Brown. First time I've seen him in action and he looked horrific against an unathletic backcourt. Scoreless in a ton of minutes, at least 3 unforced turnovers, gambling with lazy defense swiping from behind.

J-Mychal Reese with the 1/9 assists/turnovers ratio. So much for the killer PG tandem. 

Combs looked good and played his ass off. Brice is a real asset on the defensive end.

Bottom line we blew a game against a far less athletic/talented team. Same old story.

• Upvote 1

Seems all I've heard about is the greatness of Ja'Michael Brown. First time I've seen him in action and he looked horrific against an unathletic backcourt. Scoreless in a ton of minutes, at least 3 unforced turnovers, gambling with lazy defense swiping from behind.

J-Mychal Reese with the 1/9 assists/turnovers ratio. So much for the killer PG tandem. 

Combs looked good and played his ass off. Brice is a real asset on the defensive end.

Bottom line we blew a game against a far less athletic/talented team. Same old story.

This is all true, especially the last part.

Brown will get much better. 

• Upvote 1

Here are my uncollected thoughts on the game, just got home. I sat right behind the bench.  

1. Brice can help change games but he was on the floor FAR to long.

2. I like the Brown kid at PG and Reese at 2 guard (or rotate them at PG) we need more scorers in

3. Harris, Deckie, Holston, and Ward all have pretty decent looking shots need these guys SHOOTING

4. Our bigs (besides Combs) will again be the death of us. Other teams bigs have nothing to worry about because outside of Combs non are scoring threats.  We are much to young at that position to be competitive IMO. 2 of them I forget names, can hardly catch the dang ball.  I like the size, but they just move to slow. Brice is slow, and it's magnified when he is tired. He allowed 4-5 EASY post entry passes tried leaning on the guy, who spins and shoots a virtually uncontested shot. 

5. A fellow MS coach that I brought even asked what the heck was up with substitutions (regarding big guys) 

6. I want to see a lineup that features, Reese, Harris, Holston, Deckie, and Combs. Yes we are undersized, but three guys with incredible leaping ability, and you make them guard you on the other end. 

The officiating was absolutely atrocious.I know there are new rule changes but damn.

We were the better team tonight and got out coached down the stretch. We were in the double bonus with 14 minutes to go in the 2nd half and Brice got 2 touches. And he can knock down free throws. 

Very exciting game to watch and this team is Benford's best team and it's not even close. Should be a very entertaining season. Come check em out tomorrow night vs Samford. The entire atmosphere is actually worth the drive for the out of towners. 

Also, good attendance tonight. Officiating tonight though, ugh.  

It was nothing close to a charge. The Idaho player was a foot and a half inside the restricted circle. It should have been an and 1 and that very well would have sealed the game. Complete BS. Send those pitiful refs to the unemployment line. 

where were you sitting? 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

Apparently Benny was absent from coaching school the day that they stressed saving timeouts for the final minute in close games. Disappointing once again.

ahh thank you, I KNEW I was forgetting one of my main points. 

Here are my uncollected thoughts on the game, just got home. I sat right behind the bench.  

1. Brice can help change games but he was on the floor FAR to long.

2. I like the brown kid at PG and Reese at 2 guard (or rotate them at PG) we need more scorers in

3. Harris, Deckie, Holston, and Ward all have pretty decent looking shots need these guys SHOOTING

4. Our bigs (besides Combs) will again be the death of us. Other teams bigs have nothing to worry about because outside of Combs non are scoring threats.  We are much to young at that position to be competitive IMO. 2 of them I forget names, can hardly catch the dang ball.  I like the size, but they just move to slow. Brice is slow, and it's magnified when he is tired. He allowed 4-5 EASY post entry passes tried leaning on the guy, who spins and shoots a virtually uncontested shot. 

5. A fellow MS coach that I brought even asked what the heck was up with substitutions (regarding big guys) 

6. I want to see a lineup that features, Reese, Harris, Holston, Deckie, and Combs. Yes we are undersized, but three guys with incredible leaping ability, and you make them guard you on the other end. 

where were you sitting? 

Post player is pretty bad, but the fouls forced our hand. I wish we would shoot more, but Benford wants them to take it inside. I wish he would Harris to get loose and play his game. Harris can be really dangerous offensivly, u think mr eel like he is being held back some. Harris is our best players treating his own shots. 

Apparently Benny was absent from coaching school the day that they stressed saving timeouts for the final minute in close games. Disappointing once again.

they have cut the time outs big time with the new rules change. Also you cannot advance the ball on a timeout so Tom es honest it would not have helped much. 

• Upvote 1