If recruiting is indeed the #1 priority for this hire...

Harry

I said it in the MTSU game chat. But, I know Briles would solve our QB situation we have been in for 2 years, You don't get offensive coordinator of the year by luck in a conference like the Big 12. We also need to hope we can change up the rest of the coaching staff. We are getting killed in just about everything on the field, especially our defense.

UNT is a garbage job for someone trying to move up without many options.

So what do you propose we do?  Crawl up in  the fetal position and start crying for mommy? 

Since things are so dire here by your account, why are you even spending time on this board?  Not to sound paranoid, but your posts make me wonder if you aren't a fan of another team posing as a North Texas fan.  You certainly have little positive to say about anything UNT related ever.

4. One has to wonder if this doesn’t give coaches pause

UNT has really struggled, which could case potential replacements for Dan McCarney to consider how hard it will be to turn the program around.

-Brett Vito

UNT is a garbage job for someone trying to move up without many options.

So, what's up with the "4." to start your post, do you have your quotable quotes numbered?

• Upvote 6

So what do you propose we do?  Crawl up in  the fetal position and start crying for mommy? 

Since things are so dire here by your account, why are you even spending time on this board?  Not to sound paranoid, but your posts make me wonder if you aren't a fan of another team posing as a North Texas fan.  You certainly have little positive to say about anything UNT related ever.

yzPM_M2SvSxjNeSnLHoQxqUQwbb6ev0ycEw6BBaR

lifeconfusions%20-%209.gif

• Upvote 2

I'm going to break form and talk crap here. How the h.e.l.l is this a garbage job when it has the money, facilities and DFW is a national recruiting area? Even if you have an A.D. that's lost, with the three aforementioned pieces in place you can overcome that. Sorry, but I'm calling bullsh on that.

• Upvote 5

Mike Jackson did pitch in on the fire RV banner.. So I doubt he's another team's fan based on that.

I'm not defending him for that statement being made about UNT being a garbage job. There are plenty of Sun Belt/MWC teams that would want our facilities, coaching salary, recruiting hot zone, and conference spot. (Go ask Idaho if they want to trade) That is something that no true bleed green man should ever say with all of our pro's smacking him straight in the face.

As long as the current AD is in place, this IS an absolute garbage job.

And here is a dirty little secret. College coaches know this. 

I expect the coaching hire to be EXTREMELY underwhelming. 

Only a fool thinks getting paid this kind of money to teach 18 year olds to play a game is a 'garbage job'. 

I get that you don't like RV.  That's fine, he can survive your hatred.  But to translate that into a hatred for your alma mater is crazy.

• Upvote 5

Listen, coaches talk to each other. I can guarantee that prospective coaches have spoken to Mac. I don't think mac would be vindictive towards UNT but I do believe he would be honest regarding working for RV, recruiting to UNT, etc... There are some coaches that may shy away from the challenge but we don't need those type of coaches. We need a coach who looks at the "challenges" and tells them to kiss his ass and then gets to work in building this program back up, leaves for a P5 in a few years and then we re-load.

• Upvote 2

UNT is not a garbage job. We paid McCarney more than all but three other CUSA schools and there is talk the salary could go as high as $1 million or even $1.5 million for the next coach. We have a new stadium. We're in the largest metropolitan area in the South, the 8th largest in the U.S. and the 5th largest TV market. We're the fifth largest university in Texas.

Yes, we have a long history of losing and an AD who is doing a lousy job. But a coach coming here has far more advantages than he's going to find in places like Ruston, Jonesboro and Statesboro. This is an attractive G5 job.

I think we are actually the 4th largest metro area in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Listen, coaches talk to each other. I can guarantee that prospective coaches have spoken to Mac. I don't think mac would be vindictive towards UNT but I do believe he would be honest regarding working for RV, recruiting to UNT, etc... There are some coaches that may shy away from the challenge but we don't need those type of coaches. We need a coach who looks at the "challenges" and tells them to kiss his ass and then gets to work in building this program back up, leaves for a P5 in a few years and then we re-load.

They may talk to Mac, but I am guessing they understand that if someone gets fired, especially after getting stomped by an FCS team like it was Cowboys, they will likely have a slanted perspective on the situation.

• Upvote 2

BINGO!!! We need a coach that will be hired away in 3-4 years to a better gig, because he has turned around UNT. With higher pay  for the asst.coaches hopefully they get promoted to the head coach. Look at Bowling Green, Boise, Houston have all had a good run with coaches getting hired away!

Only a fool thinks getting paid this kind of money to teach 18 year olds to play a game is a 'garbage job'. 

I get that you don't like RV.  That's fine, he can survive your hatred.  But to translate that into a hatred for your alma mater is crazy.

Its all relative--our job isn't garbage because of what we pay and where we are located, compared to a lot of our SBCUSA peers. Its garbage, if you compare it--wrongly, I might add--to P5 schools, just because its apples to oranges.

Our history over the last 35 years is pretty much garbage--that has a lot to do with funding, facilities, scheduling, and conference affiliation in that timeframe. But we have rectified the funding part and the facilities, for sure. And the conference affiliation, while not great, is still the best we have ever had for football in the modern era. Scheduling is absolute hot garbage, though, and it affects every part of your program--recruiting to play at home, in today's world, against SMU, Army, FCS spares, and CUSA teams is tough enough, but when UTSA, Rice, and UTEP all play teams at home that are P5s, makes ours even worse. That, to me, would be correctable, with the right AD. So in that reality, our AD is pure garbage compared to any peer, just because his hires absolutely have sucked hugely in the main sports, while the OOC scheduling has been just brutal, considering that we have Apogee and The Super Pit as venues.

The UNT head coaching job will be hard, no matter what, but it doesn't qualify as a garbage job. It might be more of a blue collar job, though. You better work hard, sell hard, and look past multiple sins of the university's leadership and its lack of fans. It equates to being a truck driver. You have to just take what you are given, fight all the issues that affect you (traffic, weather, lack of comfort, long hours), and keep your eyes on the task ahead to deliver the goods. Unfortunately, we have had coaches in the past 20 years that lost sight of their main job because all of the "issues" that are inherit with the UNT job became too much to handle and they eventually fell apart. Except for Dodge--he was given keys to the 18-wheeler, even though he was only experienced at driving school buses. Ironically, he was the one coach here that didn't succumb to the "issues" around the job, but failed because he didn't know how to drive the truck. As we like to say, only at UNT...

• Upvote 2

UNT is not a garbage job. We paid McCarney more than all but three other CUSA schools and there is talk the salary could go as high as $1 million or even $1.5 million for the next coach. We have a new stadium. We're in the largest metropolitan area in the South, the 8th largest in the U.S. and the 5th largest TV market. We're the fifth largest university in Texas.

Yes, we have a long history of losing and an AD who is doing a lousy job. But a coach coming here has far more advantages than he's going to find in places like Ruston, Jonesboro and Statesboro. This is an attractive G5 job.

Facilities and money aren't a cure all.  Moreover if Ruston, Jonesboro and etc are worse jobs how come we can't get one of the head coaches who have had success at those places to leave to come here?  Answer: it because UNT is not much better than those job when factor in RV, alumni apathy and student apathy.   Even during the Heart of Dallas Bowl season I couldn't give my seats away except for the Rice game.  I wear UNT gear almost everywhere I go and only once has anyone asked me how the team was doing.  Is that because they already know? I doubt based on the coverage we get in the local media, even during few good season we have had.  Most likely it because they don't care even if they know some basic facts about UNT.  Want to conduct your own experiment?  Ask a student of alumni you know that isn't on this board have they been to a UNT game this year or even last year.  I love my school and my closet is full of UNT gear instead of Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Maverick, Dallas Stars, Longhorns, or Texas Rangers gear.  I am sick of leadership making half ass attempts at turning the program around.  And until I see them hire a bonafide coach with a winning record as a head coach at the FCS or FBS level I think it is crazy to expect things to improve especially with King RV at the helm.  I walked away from following the Dallas Cowboys after Bill Parcells was run out of town because it was the latest indicator that Jerry Jones ego trumps putting together a winning front office culture.  That is exactly what is going on at UNT the only difference that UNT can get rid of RV.  I like to dream big but our Athletic Department doesn't.   The 25th largest university in the USA needs to spend like one of the big boys and they need to partner with the alumni to do that.  And I mean really reach out.  Bold statement like "We ARE a big boy school" and we can beat upper P5 school but we need X amount of money from our local alumni to get the kind of coach that recruit some the players these P5 schools really want.  Houston is going up to 3 million dollars to try to keep their coach and we are crowing about maybe 1.5 million to come fix a toxic dumpster fire with the guy largely responsible for it still in charge?  So the next time we are lucky enough to schedule Houston and they mop the field with us, I want you come back to this forum and read my "negative" comments again.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1