You Go Girls!

UNT 90 Grad

not in one of the big three. Softball has I believe. Tennis too??

I remember softball beat Baylor last year, now that you mentioned it.

Imagine if Jalie can get this team to win 20 games. I know, I won't get ahead of myself on one win, but IF they do win 20 or so games, a victory over the #17 team in the nation on the road would be a huge tourney resume boost.

• Upvote 1

WOW. I did not at all see this coming.  This program was 5-24 last season. And the cupboard was not loaded. What it means in the long term remains to be seen, but it is fair to say that despite last weeks loss, this is a incredible start for coach M. That should go a loong way to get the girls believing they can win every game.

• Upvote 3

I watched almost the entire game and, just like Charlie Brown, I kept waiting for the ball to be taken away.  Great game!  The announcers commented that we only had 9 girls available because we have 4 transfers from Big12 schools who have to sit out this year.  At the end of the game we had 3 who had fouled out, and if I'm not mistaken included all of our Post players.

Go Mean Green!

WOW. I did not at all see this coming.  This program was 5-24 last season. And the cupboard was not loaded. What it means in the long term remains to be seen, but it is fair to say that despite last weeks loss, this is a incredible start for coach M. That should go a loong way to get the girls believing they can win every game.

Three NT players fouled out (Tac, Mabodu, & Frierson). With an already short bench, it really seems to make the feat even more impressive.  NT went up to Oklahoma in 2012 and almost won it then as well (71-68).

Edited by UNTFan23

OU Daily

Oklahoma women's basketball: Sooners 'panic' against North Texas, pick up first loss of the season

http://m.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-women-s-basketball-sooners-panic-against-north-texas-pick/article_130ada00-8cdf-11e5-9925-5368e61d8d4f.html?mode=jqm

OU took 1:10 longer to convert its first field goal, a three-pointer from fellow guard Derica Wyatt, one of the team’s three made shots from beyond the arc. North Texas led 10-5 then.

But Oklahoma (1-1) never caught the Mean Green (1-1), who walked out of Norman with a 61-57 victory. From the first to final whistles, the best coach Sherri Coale’s squad could do was tie the game twice late in the fourth quarter. However, turnovers and fouls squandered any chance the Sooners had at the lead.

“We just got really, really frustrated and then we panicked,” Coale said. “When you don't have energy, there's an abyss and in the abyss, tonight, grew panic from our team.”

The cure for panic? Taking the floor with energy, according to Coale, something OU didn’t do Monday.

“We weren't being the aggressor at all,” Little said. “North Texas came out and punched it right at us. I think it all starts in shootaround and preparing for the game. We didn't have a good shootaround. We came out here and turned the ball over right from the start.”

Coale could see her team’s lackadaisical manner in pregame. She could see it Friday against Winthrop in Oklahoma’s season-opener, as well.

“We've practiced beautifully but the two games, the shootaround prior to the game, we have not practiced well,” she said. “Today's shootaround had a lot of turnovers and it looked just like tonight.”

The Sooners began the game with a turnover in each of their first four possessions, finishing with 18 on the night compared to North Texas’ 23. Oklahoma’s giveaways, although fewer in quantity, came at more critical junctures in the game.

“That's where we got stunned. That's where the panic set in,” Coale said. “That's where your go-to guy goes and makes a play. You've got four-straight turnovers and somebody says, 'I've got this,' and they go make a play. We never had that tonight.”

As to how OU will go about avoiding panic for the rest of the season, Coale wasn’t sure where to start. Her squad isn’t young or inexperienced, after all, returning four starters from a season ago.....

Rick

You mean Tech and OSU? Neither was ranked and the only wins I can remember against big name programs.

JJ never beat a ranked team.  You are forgetting the LSU game the road as far as Power conference wins.  However, if you include wins against schools in the top quarter of the RPI (which would have been bigger wins statistically than some of these others) I believe you could include a couple of others.  I know South Alabama was in the top 50 or so back in 2008 (I think that was the season) when we defeated them for example.

• Upvote 1

JJ never beat a ranked team.  You are forgetting the LSU game the road as far as Power conference wins.  However, if you include wins against schools in the top quarter of the RPI (which would have been bigger wins statistically than some of these others) I believe you could include a couple of others.  I know South Alabama was in the top 50 or so back in 2008 (I think that was the season) when we defeated them for example.

I was just listing the few at home that I could remember. JJ was an amazing coach here and is going to be very successful at LSU, but I feel like people were so blinded by the 20 win seasons that they forget the competition that he played. His schedules were more along the lines of the football team. Cupcakes at home and money games on the road. He would always play UTA. The only difference is that the last half of his tenure he did start to bring a couple big names to the pit. Amazing coach? Absolutley!  Was his scheduling or recruiting that much different than Benford? It doesn't seem so.... However he won and that really is all that matters! The wins just allow people to turn a blind eye to schedule. If Benford wins 20 games this year maybe people will also turn a blind eye to his scheduling as well.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3