A question for long term fans

MGNation92

All low spots are the same.  There's nothing for the fan base to be excited about.  The cupboard is bare.  The guy in charge of developing talent didn't get the job done.  The difference at least this time the facilities are in place, but the team is a complete rebuild.

Let's look at some of these lows

Simon - team wasn't ready for D1 (Couldn't manage the team)

Dickey - Pissed off the alumni, biggest donor was mad a the school for firing.  (I think he should have been given the rest of season, RV gave the fans what they wanted with Dodge)

Dodge - Couldn't run a D1 staff. (It was a horrible hire.  He wasn't ready and brought in a horrible staff)

Mac - Lost the recruiting battles, and went with a horrible QB.  (I think we should have announced he won't be back, but let him finish out the season for economic reasons)

I believe in giving RV 18 months.  Where is this team on recruiting day after 1 year of the new coach.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 2

I believe in giving RV 18 months.  Where is this team on recruiting day after 1 year of the new coach.

If RV hires the coach, he has been given another 3-5 years to put his stamp on the program, because that's how long a coach will likely be around even if he fails.

To me, the idea of still being in the RV era of UNT athletics in 2020 is pretty grim.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is easily worse because, at least in Dodge's case, we had two losing season in a row before he took over.

Yes, Dodge certainly - and RV, by extension - threw gas on the fire by bringing high school coaches along with him.  RV later admitted that was an error.  Dodge, while not saying so, didn't really have to because all high school coaches were replaced and crawled back down to the high school ranks one by one as the embarrassment grew.

Dodge also had Giovanni Vizza, who had scholarship offers to Nevada and Air Force.  The Nevada head coach was then setting the college football world on notice with his "Pistol Formation" that is used by almost everyone today. 

It is, of course, unlikely that Vizza would have beaten out Colin Kaepernick, who was a redshirt freshman in 2007, the year Vizza was a true freshman.  But, it bears noting that he was a quarterback that Nevada's innovative coach thought could run The Pistol there. 

The problems that make this juncture in time worse are clear:
(1) We are two years removed from a bowl season
(2) The coaches who led us so far down were not high school coaches, but veterans of the FBS/I-A college football world
(3) The quarterback situation is, by far, worse that it was even in 2005 and 2006.  And, I'll go ahead and say, even worse than in 2010 when injuries had walk-on Chase Bain captaining the ship for a bit.

Back then, amateurs were in charge and, predictably, it went South.  Now, we supposedly have professionals in charge, and we are further South than when Dodge's tenure ended.

In short, it's a complete f*cking disaster, okay?

So that this thread does not end up where we all know it will, please refrain from using RV and extension in the same sentence.

• Upvote 1

If RV hires the coach, he has been given another 3-5 years to put his stamp on the program, because that's how long a coach will likely be around even if he fails.

To me, the idea of still being in the RV era of UNT athletics in 2020 is pretty grim.

18 months is enough to grade RV on the next hire, and his ability to put a recruiting class together.  I also want to see how RV fund raises around the new coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 months is enough to grade RV on the next hire, and his ability to put a recruiting class together.  I also want to see how RV fund raises around the new coach. 

The last 15 years haven't been enough? And his contract runs for the next 30 months, not the next 18.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hair Roman played one season, 2007. Mendoza coached one season, 2007. OU happened the first game of 2007. Rice happened in 2008. I said the 2009 or 2010 team would've beaten this team by 2tds.

In 2015, we are averaging 15.8 points per game while giving up 43.4. Outscored by 27.6 points per game.

In 2010, we averaged 23.9 and gave up 29.7. Outscored by 5.8 points per game(with a 3rd or 4th string qb for 10 of the 12 games).

In 2009, we averaged 26.1 while giving up 35.6. Outscored by 9.5 points per game.

Since you brought up the two years that I didn't claim would beat this team, here are their stats as well.

In 2008, we averaged 20.0 points per game while giving up 47.6. Outscored by 27.6 points per game. Our worst season on record.

In 2007, we averaged 24.8 while giving up 45.1. Outscored by 20.3 in our only season with Mendoza at DC.

Now, let those statistics sink in, then tell me how the 2015 team could beat the 09 or 10 teams by a touchdown.

Update:

In 2015, we are averaging 15.0 points per game while giving up 43.2. Outscored by 28.2 points per game.

We are experiencing our lowest offensive scoring output since 2006 when we averaged an embarrassing 12.8 points per game.

We are experiencing our worst defense since 2008 when we averaged giving up a ridiculous 47.6 points per game.

We are losing by an average of 28.2 points per game which is the worst in the history of North Texas athletics. Say what you want about Todd Dodge's 3.5 seasons running us into the ground, the past two seasons McCarney and co have taken the program and put it straight under the ground, about 6 feet under to be more specific.