Facing adversity, Coker says he plans to coach UTSA next season

Harry

SAN ANTONIO — Brushing off mounting adversities both on and off the field, Larry Coker on Monday said that he would return next season as coach of the UTSA Roadrunners.

“I want to see it through,” said Coker, who is under contract through the 2018 season.  “I’m not going anywhere.”

A difficult year for UTSA has grown steadily worse over the past 10 days.

First, lowly North Texas beat UTSA 30-23 on Oct. 31 in Denton for its first victory of the season.

Next, UTSA released a document to media outlets last Wednesday night acknowledging that Coker and offensive coordinator Kevin Brown had been cleared in an internal probe by the university.

A third painful episode unfolded last Saturday night at the Alamodome, as UTSA gave up a fourth-quarter lead and lost 36-31 to Old Dominion, a team that had lost five of its previous six.

Meeting with the media Monday morning, Coker said he expects UTSA (1-8, 1-4) will play well on the road at Charlotte (2-7, 0-6) on Saturday.

Nevertheless, the coach said recent events have been tough to handle, particularly the release of the EOS report that cleared him and offensive coordinator Kevin Brown of allegations that they discriminated against black players.

“It’s very painful,” Coker said.  “It’s a thing you don’t like.  (We had a) thorough investigation (and) the investigation said there was no basis to the rumors.  So that put a close to that.  That’s what was written.”

read more:  http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2015/11/facing-adversity-coker-says-he-plans-to-coach-utsa-next-season/

Nevertheless, the coach said recent events have been tough to handle, particularly the release of the EOS report that cleared him and offensive coordinator Kevin Brown of allegations that they discriminated against black players.

Timing on this one isn't so hot (with the Missou deal grabbing national headlines) although to his credit they were cleared of any wrong doing.

SAN ANTONIO — Brushing off mounting adversities both on and off the field, Larry Coker on Monday said that he would return next season as coach of the UTSA Roadrunners.

“I want to see it through,” said Coker, who is under contract through the 2018 season.  “I’m not going anywhere.”

Hmmm...this sounds familiar. Where have I heard similar quotes before?

• Upvote 1

I'd rather save those two games for a different season.   One in which we're winning.

Had Smith been starting all season and got the first team reps in practice, you could argue replacing WKU and Marshall with Charlotte and ODU would give us 2 wins, plus SMU, UTSA, UTEP, and maybe Rice or MTSU. Of course, that's a lot of what-ifs and I agree your scenario is better.