Yale: More On-Campus Entitlement Idiocy

living here, I can tell you there is a lot more going on than protests over halloween cultural-sensitivity. this proved an odd trigger for a much needed larger social conversation, but I think once the initial (and yes, irrational) furor settles (it already is) no one will lose their jobs and the dialogue will be beneficial to Yale, it's students and New Haven on the whole. 

there are two major contrasting realities at play here...first...Yale vs. Yale...Yale administration's want to present itself as a multi-cultural and diverse campus and it's reality as a still predominantly (though, perhaps not so by Ivy standards) prep-school raised, old-moneyed white undergraduate population. the second...Yale vs. New Haven...New Haven is a rather poor city with a high crime-rate, especially in some pockets very near the direct influence of Yale, and the dynamic between the school and the unaffiliated has always been contentious. 

both areas have improved noticeably even within the 8+ years that I've been here. Yale's sphere is without question a major benefit to the city...comfortably the largest employer and land owner, plus the cultural benefits of a prestigious institution right in downtown like great dining/bars/art/performance...and it's diversity mission and efforts to feel a part of New Haven rather than separate entities has made serious strides (see New Haven Promise scholarship...Yale has basically sponsored over 1000 kids college tuition in the last 5 years, including a handful at Yale) but there is still a long way to go...and once the cameras leave, there will be good that comes out of all this

• Upvote 2

Yale has basically sponsored over 1000 kids college tuition in the last 5 years, including a handful at Yale) but there is still a long way to go...and once the cameras leave, there will be good that comes out of all this

I think the overarching point of the article is that many of today's students--while speaking out one side of their mouths about others being accepting of their views and the need for give and take--essentially view that discourse as a one-way street.  And heaven help the party that doesn't blindly agree with their naiveté or downright intolerant viewpoint, because that party will be vilified, cursed, and shamed publicly--if they aren't demanded to resign their position--for voicing a differing opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the overarching point of the article is that many of today's students--while speaking out one side of their mouths about others being accepting of their views and the need for give and take--essentially view that discourse as a one-way street.  And heaven help the party that doesn't blindly agree with their naiveté or downright intolerant viewpoint, because that party will be vilified, cursed, and shamed publicly--if they aren't demanded to resign their position--for voicing a differing opinion.

I don't disagree that the immediate reaction has been poor and that there are far healthier ways to voice dissent against the establishment. that said, there is a whole lot more context here than what is being reported...race is a very real issue at Yale and in New Haven...and like I said, this halloween email to-do is a very weird trigger for all this emotion and anger, but never-the-less that's what it is...the breaking of a dam of pent-up frustration. 

and we have seen first-hand how stubborn and closed-minded and sure-of-themselves those motivated by emotion can be and how their actions can have little positive, or even detrimental, effect on furthering their message and beliefs. I haven't seen any planes over campus yet...but I'll keep looking. 

• Upvote 4

I don't disagree that the immediate reaction has been poor and that there are far healthier ways to voice dissent against the establishment. that said, there is a whole lot more context here than what is being reported...race is a very real issue at Yale and in New Haven...and like I said, this halloween email to-do is a very weird trigger for all this emotion and anger, but never-the-less that's what it is...the breaking of a dam of pent-up frustration. 

How come you didn't include this in your "what to do in New Haven" text message response last Saturday?

• Upvote 1

How come you didn't include this in your "what to do in New Haven" text message response last Saturday?

like I'm gonna just hand out all of my secret spots. once the tourists get a hold of racial tension it may as well just be another Appleby's and I'm stuck looking for a new place for my Saturday nights. 

• Upvote 2

I've seen some of that. It's tough being what's basically a political moderate and the sort to think big picture/long term because you're the first target of people who are really rooted in emotion or ideology to apply their thinking to practical situations.

• 2 weeks later...

You can include all the protests over Woodrow Wilson at Princeton to the Ivy League (really all Universities right now) dissent movement.

I am not saying he wasn't an extreme racist, but all of this taking down and/or renaming things is getting a bit ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

You can include all the protests over Woodrow Wilson at Princeton to the Ivy League (really all Universities right now) dissent movement.

I am not saying he wasn't an extreme racist, but all of this taking down and/or renaming things is getting a bit ridiculous. 

it certainly doesn't change what happened in the past. 

Edited by UNTFan23