Mike Canales ready to be a head coach

Harry

Hearing from the players who called or texted me when the change happened and told me, 'Go get em, Coach C' or seeing someone with a Lock the Gate T-shirt on the Eagle Walk just about brings tears to my eyes," Canales said. "I love this place. This is my home. I have given it everything I've got here."

Canales' goal has always been to become a full-time head coach and hopes to catch a program's eye while guiding UNT's program.

"I hope there is an AD out there who sees a guy who has great passion, will bring something to a program, is an ambassador for the university and can get kids to play in difficult circumstances," Canales said. "I've done it twice. I am ready to be a head coach."

read more:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20151104-amid-second-stint-as-unt-s-interim-coach-mike-canales-says-he-s-ready-to-be-a-head-coach.ece

Hearing from the players who called or texted me when the change happened and told me, 'Go get em, Coach C' or seeing someone with a Lock the Gate T-shirt on the Eagle Walk just about brings tears to my eyes," Canales said. "I love this place. This is my home. I have given it everything I've got here."

Canales' goal has always been to become a full-time head coach and hopes to catch a program's eye while guiding UNT's program.

"I hope there is an AD out there who sees a guy who has great passion, will bring something to a program, is an ambassador for the university and can get kids to play in difficult circumstances," Canales said. "I've done it twice. I am ready to be a head coach."

read more:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20151104-amid-second-stint-as-unt-s-interim-coach-mike-canales-says-he-s-ready-to-be-a-head-coach.ece

But he isn't campaigning. Lol.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

I had the same thought, but did anyone say on the record that Canales wouldn't campaign? Some misinformation was spread the weekend McCarney was fired, such as the idea there would be co-interim head coaches.

I don't mind him campaigning after a UNT win. I hope he can campaign again after this weekend.

• Upvote 6

If we hire the next incarnation of Knute Rockne, it'll piss people off because it'll justify the continued employment of our athletic director, and the personal hatred for that is strong here.  "Only at North Texas" do we give an AD enough chances over the course of a decade and a half to stumble into a good decision in spite of himself.

Your premise is that RV will hire a great coach and UNT's fan base will hate it because that helps RV stay employed?

Get real. We're a pack of whipped dogs. It only took one win over a 1-6 team to make a lot of fans call for hiring Canales. If the next coach wins, the fans who didn't quit when RV made the hire would be overjoyed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Your premise is that RV will hire a great coach and UNT's fan base will hate it because that helps RV stay employed?

Get real. We're a pack of whipped dogs. It only took one win over a 1-6 team to make a lot of fans call for hiring Canales. If the next coach wins, the fans who didn't quit when RV made the hire would be overjoyed.

I don't think there's any rationality when it comes to RV.  There is a group that has cultivated such white-hot personal hatred toward him, that nothing he does can be right.  Watching from the outside on that, it reminds me of the final days of my marriage.  There is absolutely nothing I could've said or done that would have lessened my blushing bride's hatred.  Nothing.  That's the case here.  

Conversely, there is also a group for whom RV can do no wrong.  There is absolutely nothing he can say or do that is fallible.

I don't think there are many people on either side of this line who can look objectively on the body of work.  

Being relatively new to the college athletics scene, more specifically the college football scene, the irrational emotions that it creates are just stunning to me.  I've been saying for a few years now that college football is what the NFL would be if the fans owned and controlled the teams -- generally utter chaos.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't think there's any rationality when it comes to RV.  There is a group that has cultivated such white-hot personal hatred toward him, that nothing he does can be right.

Yeah, we're just a bunch of irrational haters. Our desire to see RV out the door has nothing to do with his won-loss performance in football and basketball, the five home-game seasons, his broken promises to bring notable schools to play at Apogee, the poor attendance at games, the 2015 Homecoming FCS massacre, or the failure to build a Mean Green Club membership commensurate to our alumni base.

If you have objective facts on RV that suggest he hasn't created a factory of failure, post them. Don't just declare yourself the only fair-minded person in the fan base.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Don't just declare yourself the only fair-minded person in the fan base.

Nah, I'm just tired of getting drawn and quartered from both sides.  I don't think he's as bad as your side would contend, nor do I think he's as great as the other side would contend.  I just wanna drink beer, which has repeatedly branded me a bad fan anyway (and I'd challenge anyone here to name the last game they even saw me drink a beer).  So honestly, I've just stopped caring.  I pay my annual dues kinda like I pay my monthly car insurance.  It's just an expense to which I no longer give much thought at all.  So fair minded?  No.  More like absent minded.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 6

Nah, I'm just tired of getting drawn and quartered from both sides.  I don't think he's as bad as your side would contend, nor do I think he's as great as the other side would contend.  I just wanna drink beer, which has repeatedly branded me a bad fan anyway.  So honestly, I've just stopped caring.  I paying my annual dues kinda like I pay my monthly car insurance.  It's just an expense to which I no longer give much thought at all.  So fair minded?  No.  More like absent minded.

Fair enough.

I do care, but after 14 years of RV's version of UNT sports I'm ready to either see a change at the top of athletics or stop caring.

I like beer, too, but it tastes better when I'm not crying in it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't think there's any rationality when it comes to RV.  There is a group that has cultivated such white-hot personal hatred toward him, that nothing he does can be right.  Watching from the outside on that, it reminds me of the final days of my marriage.  There is absolutely nothing I could've said or done that would have lessened my blushing bride's hatred.  Nothing.  That's the case here.  

Conversely, there is also a group for whom RV can do no wrong.  There is absolutely nothing he can say or do that is fallible.

I don't think there are many people on either side of this line who can look objectively on the body of work.  

Being relatively new to the college athletics scene, more specifically the college football scene, the irrational emotions that it creates are just stunning to me.  I've been saying for a few years now that college football is what the NFL would be if the fans owned and controlled the teams -- generally utter chaos.

This is completely untrue. People don't hate RV personally, they hate the job he has done as AD at UNT and they expect the same accountability that Dan McCarney faced. 

RV's 15 year record of hiring failures, scheduling failures, lying to the fan base about multiple issues, failure to fix multiple problems (ticket office is just one), and numerous other issues are the reason just about all of us want him gone. 

You are buying into a strategy by RV and others to claim that some people hate poor little RV. Another lie. Don't buy into it.

One thing is for certain. If the new coach is successful, RV will claim credit for the hire. If the new coach fails, RV will blame someone, anyone besides himself for the hire.

Past history predicts future behavior.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is completely untrue. People don't hate RV personally, they hate the job he has done as AD at UNT and they expect the same accountability that Dan McCarney faced. 

RV's 15 year record of hiring failures, scheduling failures, lying to the fan base about multiple issues, failure to fix multiple problems (ticket office is just one), and numerous other issues are the reason just about all of us want him gone. 

You are buying into a strategy by RV and others to claim that some people hate poor little RV. Another lie. Don't buy into it.

One thing is for certain. If the new coach is successful, RV will claim credit for the hire. If the new coach fails, RV will blame someone, anyone besides himself for the hire.

Past history predicts future behavior.

There are several more where this comes from (concerning the MGC appreciation calls from players):

13 hours ago, UNTexas said:

So let me get this straight. Everyone is busting their asses to get people interested because RV can't stop running his mouth and chased good people away?

RV, great leadership...

Why on earth this kind of thing should be held against RV, I have no idea, but this post has 13 'likes', so UNTexas is not the only one who feels like it should...  @oldguystudent is absolutely correct in his assessment.   Just like everything else in our society, it's polarized.   

• Upvote 1

He'll end up at one of the F_U schools and trounce us and our flashy SEC positions coach from somewhere super Texas related like Kentucky on the regular.  

Insert requisite "Only at North Texas" here.

If we hire the next incarnation of Knute Rockne, it'll piss people off because it'll justify the continued employment of our athletic director, and the personal hatred for that is strong here.  "Only at North Texas" do we give an AD enough chances over the course of a decade and a half to stumble into a good decision in spite of himself.

If we hire the next incarnation of Todd Dodge, and we continue to be perpetual denizens of the bottom 10, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" can we consistently fail so miserably.

If we hire someone who keeps us at .500 ball with a bowl game every three or four years, it'll piss people off because "Only at North Texas" do we accept such mediocrity.

If we start selling out every home game, and have consistent 6 game schedules against OOC opponents that people recognize, and tickets become hard to come by, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" did we lack the foresight to build a stadium with enough capacity to meet demand.

If the attendance for home games continues to be 10,000 with a strong wink and a nudge, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" do we ignore the hundreds of thousands of area alumni and fail to market to them.

If it rains, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" does the cloud ceiling matter.

If the sun shines, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" do we have to bake in the September games.

In conclusion, no matter what happens, "Only at North Texas" will it stoke the anger and ire of the fan base and university employees alike no matter what happens, controllable or not.

Now I suppose I should get my first cup of coffee and calm the hell down.  "Only at North Texas" would I write such a rant without having sufficient caffeine intake first.

Wow, that was impressive! In the future you can use my "wrinkled $100 bill" (circa 1974) analogy and save yourself a lot of typing. Just give me credit.  

• Upvote 6

He'll end up at one of the F_U schools and trounce us and our flashy SEC positions coach from somewhere super Texas related like Kentucky on the regular.  

If we hire the next incarnation of Todd Dodge, and we continue to be perpetual denizens of the bottom 10, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" can we consistently fail so miserably.

If we hire someone who keeps us at .500 ball with a bowl game every three or four years, it'll piss people off because "Only at North Texas" do we accept such mediocrity.

If we start selling out every home game, and have consistent 6 game schedules against OOC opponents that people recognize, and tickets become hard to come by, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" did we lack the foresight to build a stadium with enough capacity to meet demand.

If the attendance for home games continues to be 10,000 with a strong wink and a nudge, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" do we ignore the hundreds of thousands of area alumni and fail to market to them.

If it rains, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" does the cloud ceiling matter.

If the sun shines, it'll piss people off.  "Only at North Texas" do we have to bake in the September games.

In conclusion, no matter what happens, "Only at North Texas" will it stoke the anger and ire of the fan base and university employees alike no matter what happens, controllable or not.

Now I suppose I should get my first cup of coffee and calm the hell down.  "Only at North Texas" would I write such a rant without having sufficient caffeine intake first.

This is one of my favorite posts ever.

• Upvote 4

So, someone says they aren't going to do something, and then they do.

And that's not a problem?

And I called it.

Mike, he's not actively campaigning. He didn't bring any of the topics he's quoted on himself. He is however directly answering questions asked of him during press conferences. Check the video record from Monday.

(and I'd challenge anyone here to name the last game they even saw me drink a beer).

Nov. 8, 2014

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

HOF worthy post.

You sir are the true master of this board!! That made my morning.

• Upvote 1