Attendance?

meangreenfreak

So the same as the announced attendance for WKU? Wow. There was definitely more people there than the WKU game.

It sure seemed like it. Tailgating was very sparse, maybe there was a last minute surge with people holding off due to soggy conditions and chilly wind. My thought was that it seemed like a bigger crowd because people actually stayed to the end. I did notice the usual 3rd quarter exodus from my seat in Sec. 207 but it actually seemed not as numerous. It is amazing what competitive football will do for you.

• Upvote 3

You can do some back of the napkin math on it.. How many folks on here stayed home for trick or treat over going to the game. If people that are this engaged with the program aren't going then the casual fans aren't going either.

So I think we can safely assume about 4K live bodies for UTEP. Lower if the weather is bad. 

Probably 8k announced, especially if we are winless in the next 3 (probable). 

I wonder what the final average attendance will be for the year? 3 crowds of 10k, 11k, and 8k for the last 3 games, along with two 17 k crowds the first 2 games... So an average of 12.6k per game?

Thats 1998 Fouts right there.

• Downvote 2

The students had three full sections in the second, that's how.

That is not true,  I was in a box which gave a good overview and there were only students in three sections and not full, and maybe 20 people in all of the upper tier student side. The Alumni side is bigger and was just much more spread out. 

That is not true,  I was in a box which gave a good overview and there were only students in three sections and not full, and maybe 20 people in all of the upper tier student side. The Alumni side is bigger and was just much more spread out. 

You're right. We were up in the club area from the get go, and I was starting to think that we must not have any students at our school. When the band went down for the half, there was no one over there but a few $5 Fill-Ups. Pathetic.

Edited by foutsrouts

I will be happy when there is not a seat available and we rock the place. I figure that will happen with our next AD. RV is like attendance kryptonite.

Every G5 school sans ECU and Marshall struggles with attendance.

People aren't showing up because we're not winning.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Every G5 school sans ECU and Marshall struggles with attendance.

People aren't showing up because we're not winning.

Yup that is part of it, scheduling is part as well. Hiring good coaches really helps that winning part. Many other problems also, but keep in mind most other schools have stadiums much bigger than their student body, our stadium could not even accommodate the whole student body which just makes it worse.

You can't discount that this was a 6 PM kickoff on Halloween night. Anyone with kids is going to have a hard time selling that to their family -- especially when we're talking about a team that was 0-7 taking on a 1-6 team. Had this thing started at say, 1 PM or so, then I know I'd have taken the family and then we'd have gone home for a night of glorious candy hunting. 

And before you say, "They handed out candy at the game," let's be real here. My understanding is that there wasn't much, and there was opportunity for so much more to be done. I mean dang, offer half price parking to anyone that brings a bag of candy and then have a huge "Trunk or Treat" tailgate in the parking lots. It doesn't seem that hard to organize. Give out free wing zone tickets to any kids in costume. Maybe even half price wing zone tickets to any parents in costume. Make it worth the price of coming out. At this point, getting as many butts in the seats as possible is more important than receiving full price for the seats you sell.

An unsold seat gives you nothing. But a free seat still makes you money on parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc. Honestly, these are pretty easy concepts to understand. 

Having said that, I hate that I missed a great game but with such a late start, my three year-old son would've been done by halftime. He loves the Mean Green with all of his little heart (which is awesome!) but that only works for so long for him. And once he's done, Mrs. Franchise is done and suddenly we either leave early and I get depressed having left early from such a great game, or I'm in the dog house for the rest of the night because the family is being held hostage. So, taking the kids Trick-or-treating, getting them to bed at a reasonable time and then listening to Dave and Hank afterward was my best play.

• Upvote 2