who will be the next hc at UNT

southsideguy

The more I think about it I wonder if we shouldn't take the TCU approach and hire an energy defensive wizard as a coach.  A couple of respectable defense years, followed by a couple of dominant defense years, will yield wins which is really what yields recruits.  I graduated from Penn State and the smash mouth defense is a culture that all fans are proud of.  Patterson did the same thing at TCU making average players defensive hard hitting studs.  Defense changes the entire mentality to a strong and winning culture, though we all agree explosive offense is more fun to watch.  I'd still start at the foundation of defense.  I'd love to see a reputation for toughness at NT....but maybe I just feel that way after watching every team run right through us this year.....

that's what Mac was supposed be.  Need to try something new.

that's what Mac was supposed be.  Need to try something new.

while I agree that's what Dan should've been, it obviously didn't translate. That doesn't mean it's the wrong approach.....just the wrong staff to get it done.  Underdog schools have to recruit athletes and put them in positions to make plays. That requires coaching, something I think Mac staff did pretty poorly.  Converting an undersized playmaking quarterback out of high school and turning him into a wide receiver or a defensive back is what put TCU on the map in those 'turnaround' years.   We are never going to be able to recruit even average level talent until teams stop running through us and we put some wins on the board.  I do agree that a quick turnaround on offense that puts lots of points on the board will excite the Fanbase and stimulate the program, but I guess I'm just old school and still believe in hard-nosed football being the foundation.  

• Upvote 1

Don't see Penn St and the phrase culture to proud of on the same sentence much these days. Courage to you. 

thanks...We saw dark days for sure, but the acts of few don't represent the heart, soul, and spirit of many.  I learned a lot living and going to school there.  The best place for criminals to hide is right in front of us and while we loved our throwback culture it aided in hiding a devil because 'nothing could ever be Evil in Happy Valley'.  We had to get out of the 50's, though we loved it at the same time.  Football is still loved and respected, but the modernization has been good.  There is so many great things about Penn State.....but I'm a Texas boy and I'm ready to see my other school start winning some games!

• Upvote 1

My mistake.  For some reason I thought you were talking about the Georgia Southern game.  They played great.

No mistake taken.  I was being sarcastic towards those who criticize the triple option after GSU took Georgia to OT and Navy got to 9 wins with it yesterday.

My take has always been it would give us an advantage each week.  Whereas our opponents spend months preparing for spread offenses every year...they would only get 5-6 days to prepare for the triple option.

Rick 

Just win baby. I don't want a coach that is rigid in his system and stubborn enough to try to run HIS scheme regardless of the personnel. I want a coach who is a tireless recruiter. I want a coach who believes that UNT can win CUSA every year. I want a coach who is disappointed each week we aren't in the top 25. I want a coach who finds it unacceptable to have less than a sellout every week and then does something about it when we don't . I want a coach who is willing to run ANY offense or defense to fit our talent. 

• Upvote 3

thanks...We saw dark days for sure, but the acts of few don't represent the heart, soul, and spirit of many.  I learned a lot living and going to school there.  The best place for criminals to hide is right in front of us and while we loved our throwback culture it aided in hiding a devil because 'nothing could ever be Evil in Happy Valley'.  We had to get out of the 50's, though we loved it at the same time.  Football is still loved and respected, but the modernization has been good.  There is so many great things about Penn State.....but I'm a Texas boy and I'm ready to see my other school start winning some games!

It also helped that Penn St. wasnever held accountable for harboring a pedophile. Really nice of the NCAA to completely let that program off the hook for the most heinous use of college football program in history.

I truly hope they never win another college football game.

I guess I can look at the bright side. At UNT, we only figuratively whore our football players out to other schools. At Penn St., they literally whored the youth of their community out to an assistant football coach. For the better part of a decade, if not longer. 

And the punishment they received was a slap on the wrist. Fitting, since Pedo St. is really into slapping sounds. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Hmmm, I wonder what part of their experience is so unattractive. Turning around (in both cases one year turn around) two almost dead programs, or having recruited about 7 NFL draft picks.

As per Carthel, he has recruited 20 guys, in his 15 years of coaching that have played in the NFL. His dad was a Texas college coach. It would be hard to find a more connected recruiter. He is a winner, turns programs around, and will recruit well

• Upvote 1

Read this on the FCS Championship forum, mainly because it concerns one of our coaches, but it gives  list of those who have applied.

REPORT: Tim Horton applies for North Texas opening

AUBURN – According to a report, Auburn running back coach Tim Horton has submitted his resume for the head coaching opening at North Texas.

The Denton Record-Chronicle obtained the documents through a Freedom of Information Act request. According to the documents, Horton was one of at least seven to have applied for the University of North Texas athletic department, which has been open since the school fired Dan McCarney on Oct. 10. McCarney was 22-32 in five seasons at North Texas but started 0-5 this season and was dismissed after a after a 66–7 loss to Football Championship Subdivision opponent Portland State.

The other six candidates discovered from the report are Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles, Texas Tech associate head coach Mike Jinks, West Georgia head coach Will Hall, Southern Utah head coach Ed Lamb, San Jose State secondary coach Donte’ Williams and Illinois College associate head coach Ray DeFrisco...

According to the report, North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal is looking for a coach “who will install a wide-open offense and appeal to Texas high school recruits”.

Edited by caseyorourke