I am against the Banner

Harry

RV's contract is up in something like eighteen months.  If you were successful in getting Rick removed it would cost the university somewhere in the vicinity of a half-million dollars.

If RV hires the next coach and it's another one of his "good hires," it'll cost UNT far more than that.

What's the point of the great stadium and all the other facility improvements if we win 28% of our games? The point of the plan was to turn UNT football into the kind of program you'd expect at a school of 37,000 that is the biggest university in a metroplex of 6.9 million people. Instead, it's 2015 and we're still looking up with envy towards schools like Tulsa.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 5

Ya know... The banner is a good idea based upon the other even worse ideas they could have come up with. 

Teacher! Teacher! How about this one...the next game is Halloween!

Apogee and it's $20 million was cultivated by a search firm hired by the university...not athletics.

The Warranch Tennis complex was unsolicited but eventually cultivated by the university fundraising efforts..(Advancement)...not athletics, and was supposed to be completed at a later date.  It's later.......like 8-10 years later?,... and the center championship court is still a grassy sticker patch.

-sigh- at the countless bits of misinformation.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't really have an opinion on the banner, but I fail to see how this is any different from creating a firemackbrown.com website or the countless other things fan bases have done to voice their displeasure.  Even Idaho is taking action:

Frustrated Idaho Fan Fills Campus With Flyers Calling For Paul Petrino's Firing

Disgruntled Miami fans flew the funniest Al Golden banner over the stadium

Wake Forest fans take out billboard calling for firing of coach Jeff Bzdelik

Michigan fans march on UM president's home calling for the firing of coach Brady Hoke and AD Dave Brandon

• Upvote 5

There seems to be a lot of drama here, it is just a banner and if some people start asking some questions I am all for it. but for anyone outside this university it will not matter a bit, they will say at most it looks like some fans are pissed off with how things are. At least someone cares. Mole hill turns to mountain, if only a banner was as powerful as all this. 

Edited by KingDL1

After all of this time, I still don't know what this is supposed to do.  Do we really believe the President and the BOR  are not aware of the strong feelings many supporters have.  If so, we have a bigger problem than RV.  The President is not going to take out an ad in the paper or some other public notice.  How do we expect people to want our coaching job with threats of non support because of the AD or be considered to be a loser because the AD MADE THE CHOICE.  This is not to support RV but to support the President's ability to do what is best for UNT.

• Upvote 1

Do we really believe the President and the BOR  are not aware of the strong feelings many supporters have.

What evidence have you seen that Smatresk and the board are aware that we're running a 28% successful football program and a lot of fans are demanding a change higher than just the coach?

All I see from UNT leadership is business as usual comments and implicit support for RV.

• Upvote 2

What evidence have you seen that Smatresk and the board are aware that we're running a 28% successful football program and a lot of fans are demanding a change higher than just the coach?

All I see from UNT leadership is business as usual comments and implicit support for RV.

Exactly my point. We have zero evidence that anybody is listening to us.

• Upvote 1

A sharing of random thoughts that have been in the back of my mind for a few days and won't go away, not necessarily planted there in this thread:

Hmmm. Several people have been very adamant about not flying a banner. Some seem on the verge of soiling themselves when describing the perceived consequences of the act, allusions to ineffectiveness, admonishments concerning vague unintended consequences. Some calm, measured and professional; some angry.  Attempts to spin focus into a personal attack. Hmmm. The banner seems relatively innocuous to me; relatively common event in FBS sports at FBS schools. Hmmm. Makes me very suspicious. What do these people know that I don't know? Hmmm.

• Upvote 4

Outside of maybe a couple hundred people, nobody would care.

I think you are getting to the root of our problem and why those that want RV gone have a strong argument.

1. After over a decade as our AD, we only have a couple hundred members of the Mean Green Club, so that minority RV has spoken about could actually be the majority of the Mean Green Club.

2. Nobody cares because we lose too much, and those in charge have historically been okay with that.

• Upvote 3