Marshall Fan Here

Aaron Perkins

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think a lot of fans will be making the trip this year. Mostly, it will be players families. As you can tell, our fans are in full meltdown right now. Hopefully the team is in better shape. Our interim coach will have had enough time to get organized so I hope for a better performance. At this point, I personally want to see growth and improvement. A win would be wonderful, but growth and improvement is a more rational goal. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Denton next year. I think our new coach will have us more competitive by then. 

It was pretty rough at Marshall in 1988. I flew in with the team, and before the game your fans were very friendly and invited us to tailgate with them providing us with both food and beverages. However, it was a hard fought [ almost dirty] game and at the end a fight between fans erupted in the stands,carried on to the field, and both teams started swinging. We boarded our buses with rocks and bottles raining down on us, and when we got to the airport police were searching our plane because of  a bomb threat. As we flew off Ron Shanklin, who was seated next to me, said that he was glad to get our of there alive. Anyone else who there can chime in, but it was an interesting road trip. 

• Upvote 2

Marshall is my second favorite team in CUSA. I try to follow you guys every week. My dad grew up in Huntington and South Point, and I try to get up there every summer. I really wanted to make the game, but I can't justify the money and burning more vacation days for this team. 

It was pretty rough at Marshall in 1988. I flew in with the team, and before the game your fans were very friendly and invited us to tailgate with them providing us with both food and beverages. However, it was a hard fought [ almost dirty] game and at the end a fight between fans erupted in the stands,carried on to the field, and both teams started swinging. We boarded our buses with rocks and bottles raining down on us, and when we got to the airport police were searching our plane because of  a bomb threat. As we flew off Ron Shanklin, who was seated next to me, said that he was glad to get our of there alive. Anyone else who there can chime in, but it was an interesting road trip. 

One of my roommates was on the team and describe it just like that...also said sodas, beer and food were thrown on them as they left the stadium.  

Another game a we that we should have won...but lost 7-0 after turning the ball over late in the game on our end of the field.

Rick

• Upvote 1

WOW, never heard those stories, going to pass it along to a couple people who I know were there and get their take, then will come back with results, haha

Alright...Im back, haha....here is the reply I got.  I simply copy and pasted your story, and received this back within minutes

That is pretty close. They came in like the Canes circa Johnson era though and thought they were gonna roll us. Warmed up in half shirts, pants gold chains and sun glasses. Cocky as hell. Rough game is right. Fight started on field after last play. Closest thing to full on Baltimore style riot I've ever seen. Crazy.

• Upvote 2