UNT Coaching Candidate Chris Thomsen

StealthEagle84

This is probably a long shot and probably not a fan favorite but I thought his name should at least be thrown out there.  Chris Thomsen was the head coach at Abilene Christian from 2005-11 and turned them into a winning program / got them on track to move up to the Southland Conference.  He is currently serving as the assistant head coach / OL at Arizona State.  He is also a Texas native, presumably with Texas ties (currently working for a former Texas high school head coach (Todd Graham)).  The upside for me is the player evaluation / player development.  Several current and recent NFL players went through that program during his tenure there. "While at ACU, the two-time AFCA Region IV Coach of the Year coached five NFL draft choices (Danieal Manning, 42nd pick, second round by the Chicago Bears in 2006; Johnny Knox, fifth-round pick by the Bears in 2009; Bernard Scott, sixth-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009; Clyde Gates, fourth-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2011; Daryl Richardson, seventh-round pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2012); an NFL Pro Bowl selection (Knox in 2009), a Harlon Hill Award winner (Scott in 2008), the award that is the NCAA Division II equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; and a Gene Upshaw Award winner (Sam Collins in 2008), signifying the top lineman in NCAA Division II football."  It also appears he recruited Charcandrick West, who looks be the new starting running back for the KC Chiefs (Charles out for the season).  If he could recruit that kind of talent to Abilene Christian, he certainly could do the same at UNT.  Like I said, probably has little chance but at least worth consideration.  

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thomsen

I have a high opinion of him and also believe him to be an outstanding recruiter.  Good addition!

• Upvote 2

This is probably a long shot and probably not a fan favorite but I thought his name should at least be thrown out there.  Chris Thomsen was the head coach at Abilene Christian from 2005-11 and turned them into a winning program / got them on track to move up to the Southland Conference.  He is currently serving as the assistant head coach / OL at Arizona State.  He is also a Texas native, presumably with Texas ties (currently working for a former Texas high school head coach (Todd Graham)).  The upside for me is the player evaluation / player development.  Several current and recent NFL players went through that program during his tenure there. "While at ACU, the two-time AFCA Region IV Coach of the Year coached five NFL draft choices (Danieal Manning, 42nd pick, second round by the Chicago Bears in 2006; Johnny Knox, fifth-round pick by the Bears in 2009; Bernard Scott, sixth-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009; Clyde Gates, fourth-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2011; Daryl Richardson, seventh-round pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2012); an NFL Pro Bowl selection (Knox in 2009), a Harlon Hill Award winner (Scott in 2008), the award that is the NCAA Division II equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; and a Gene Upshaw Award winner (Sam Collins in 2008), signifying the top lineman in NCAA Division II football."  It also appears he recruited Charcandrick West, who looks be the new starting running back for the KC Chiefs (Charles out for the season).  If he could recruit that kind of talent to Abilene Christian, he certainly could do the same at UNT.  Like I said, probably has little chance but at least worth consideration.  

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thomsen

He would be a great candidate to go after. 

• Upvote 1

He would be a very Boise State type hire.

He  has been a successful HC from a smaller school with local roots.

He has shown he can recruit good Texas players to a small school.  That's not an easy thing to do.

He is now an assistant head coach at a big school. (Arizona State)  He also was TT interim HC when they beat Minnesota in a 2012 bowl game.

He is still early in his career at 44 or 45.

• Upvote 3

Sure he is one of many candidates that would be better than Dan McCarney.  What do I really take away from this post?  ACU has had more players drafted than us in the last 10 years. FAR More! WTF sometimes it takes moments like these to realize just how bad we suck. ACU?! 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 4

A friend of mine played for Chris Thomsen at ACU. Said he is a guy that lets his assistants do their jobs and coach. Said he ran the spread, pro-set, essentially whatever his talent allowed him to run on offense. He is also a coach that will not tolerate bad behavior from his players.

• Upvote 5

I was just about to post Chris' name here.  As an ACU alum and a fan of UNT, Coach Thomsen would be a great hire.  Great guy and would not be surprised if he has already been in contact with the AD at UNT.    His bro-in-law is actually now the HC at ACU but was the OC during his time at ACU.  

• Upvote 1

Thomsen is absolutely interesting.  Probably a great coach.  Might do great things here...

...but I'll just leave this here:
http://www.reporternews.com/sports/college/ncaa-hits-acu-major-violations-track-field
http://www.reporternews.com/news/ncaa-upholds-sanctions-against-acu-football-progra

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Like the Chris Thomsen angle.  But, remember, when he was at ACU, the WIldcats were D-II.  The academic requirements weren't the same as they would be here.

Still, I'd trust him to navigate it. 

Abilene Christian...they'll be our conference mates soon enough.  Ol' Coach Pyburn will be smiling from his grave when it happens as well. 

• Downvote 1

Thomsen is absolutely interesting.  Probably a great coach.  Might do great things here...

...but I'll just leave this here:
http://www.reporternews.com/sports/college/ncaa-hits-acu-major-violations-track-field
http://www.reporternews.com/news/ncaa-upholds-sanctions-against-acu-football-progra

Sounds to me like some assistants took some liberties they should not have and Thomsen took full responsibility for their actions. Can't say all coaches(cough cough Larry Brown) do the same.

• Upvote 1

I was just about to post Chris' name here.  As an ACU alum and a fan of UNT, Coach Thomsen would be a great hire.  Great guy and would not be surprised if he has already been in contact with the AD at UNT.    His bro-in-law is actually now the HC at ACU but was the OC during his time at ACU.  

Would Corey Cheek become a Mean Green fan if Thomsen is hired here? 

Maybe we could bring them both along in the same capacities as they were at ACU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of working with Chris Thomsen on the ACU coaches show when I was a student at ACU. One of the best men on or off the field I have ever met. An excellent recruiter and a great leader. Even if it is a long shot, UNT would be really lucky to get him as next HC. Always knew he would one day make a great DI coach.

• Upvote 1

Personally not a fan. I would much rather have Riley or Briles. 

I watched some of the Baylor - K State game, with special attention to kid Briles. Briles' offense didn't look like the world-beaters they are oft touted to be. Baylor could easily have been upset.

• Upvote 1

Lil Briles job is easy when you have that kind of talent at the wide receiver position. And Stidham very well may be the best QB Baylor has brought in to date. I just don't get the feeling the Lil Briles is ready to be a head coach at an FBS program. He'd get a lot of attention and would probably recruit well but those things to necessarily translate into wins (see Todd Dodge).  Mark my words. Thomsen is the best man for this job. He won't grab headlines and get national attention but he is the best fit for what we need. All of these young guns will make waves initially and get some press but that soon fades after you start playing games. We need someone who will win games, period. Thomsen can do that at UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like the Chris Thomsen angle.  But, remember, when he was at ACU, the WIldcats were D-II.  The academic requirements weren't the same as they would be here.

Still, I'd trust him to navigate it. 

Abilene Christian...they'll be our conference mates soon enough.  Ol' Coach Pyburn will be smiling from his grave when it happens as well. 

Well, yeah.  I think that may be at least a part of why some DII schools have better talent than some FBS schools, yes UNT.  We need to look at the academic side of his players' careers as well as athletic.  It may not have been a factor there, but at least suggests that due diligence is warranted.

• Upvote 2

I have a high opinion of him and also believe him to be an outstanding recruiter.  Good addition!

your opinion can be validated. Have a buddy pretty high up in coaching world thinks the world of him says he and NT would be a great fit and thinks he could be more than successful here! 

• Upvote 1