Tony Mitchell Waived by Golden State

Caw Caw

Most overrated player in North Texas history!

All-conference tournament player, first team all conference, conference freshman of the year, Lou Henson finalist, first freshman since Michael Beasley to post multiple 30 point/15 rebound games in a season (despite not being eligible until semester break). 

Until playing for Benford (based on his half-season under JJ), he was the 2nd ranked center in the country and 7th overall player, preseason conference player of the year, Wooden Award watch list, preseason all-american (according to 3 different publications). 

He played 30+ minutes per game... The only guys to average more rebounds per game in a season in the past 35 years than Tony did under Johnny were Odufuwa (by .4 rebounds per game) and Ronnie Morgan in 1990. When Tony led the team in scoring, he did it with more points per game than Josh White ever had. 

He still made it into the NBA draft (highest draft pick we've ever had, first pick at all in 30 years), set the school record for blocks (in just 55 games), 5th on the single season 3 point percentage board, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

I've never seen a more transformative player in a North Texas uniform in any sport. And I don't think I ever will in my lifetime. A one-man lane stuffing, rebound gobbling, wildly athletic scoring machine. Watching him in person was an absolute joy, and I feel very fortunate that we got the 55 games we did with him. 

He was a monster under JJ despite having almost no time to prepare because of his partial qualifier status. He regressed under Benford, but still accomplished a tremendous amount here. 

Why there's such a compulsion to shit on the guy, I'll never understand.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I'd say that Tony Mitchell isn't even the most overrated guy we've had in the past 10 years. 

Riley Dodge. 3 years, 5 wins. 1-1 TD/INT ratio. Didn't seem better than the guy he replaced at the position. And when he left, he didn't go to the NFL... He went to McNeese State. 

Going back all the way... Haven't I heard stories about Hayden Fry landing the top recruit in the state, an RB who would be a modern 5-star that never really accomplished anything on the field here? 

Think he is done in NBA? Think he should have remained college to develop/refine his talent? 

I think he left at the right time.  Maybe one season too late if he would have been first round after his freshman year.  Sometimes it is better to be an unknown commodity than a known commodity. 

I still hope he keeps working and carves out a niche for himself.  The NBA is a really tough league to crack.

I am just surprised how much he has

moved around and how little we have heard about him. Jordan is killing it in England and Jacob is representing UNT well in Australia. Roger seems to be making a long term run as well. Mitchell has jumped around a lot. I would be interested to know why he hasn't settled in for a long term (2-3 years) contract somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

All-conference tournament player, first team all conference, conference freshman of the year, Lou Henson finalist, first freshman since Michael Beasley to post multiple 30 point/15 rebound games in a season (despite not being eligible until semester break). 

Until playing for Benford (based on his half-season under JJ), he was the 2nd ranked center in the country and 7th overall player, preseason conference player of the year, Wooden Award watch list, preseason all-american (according to 3 different publications). 

He played 30+ minutes per game... The only guys to average more rebounds per game in a season in the past 35 years than Tony did under Johnny were Odufuwa (by .4 rebounds per game) and Ronnie Morgan in 1990. When Tony led the team in scoring, he did it with more points per game than Josh White ever had. 

He still made it into the NBA draft (highest draft pick we've ever had, first pick at all in 30 years), set the school record for blocks (in just 55 games), 5th on the single season 3 point percentage board, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

I've never seen a more transformative player in a North Texas uniform in any sport. And I don't think I ever will in my lifetime. A one-man lane stuffing, rebound gobbling, wildly athletic scoring machine. Watching him in person was an absolute joy, and I feel very fortunate that we got the 55 games we did with him. 

He was a monster under JJ despite having almost no time to prepare because of his partial qualifier status. He regressed under Benford, but still accomplished a tremendous amount here. 

Why there's such a compulsion to shit on the guy, I'll never understand.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I'd say that Tony Mitchell isn't even the most overrated guy we've had in the past 10 years. 

Riley Dodge. 3 years, 5 wins. 1-1 TD/INT ratio. Didn't seem better than the guy he replaced at the position. And when he left, he didn't go to the NFL... He went to McNeese State. 

Going back all the way... Haven't I heard stories about Hayden Fry landing the top recruit in the state, an RB who would be a modern 5-star that never really accomplished anything on the field here? 

Milton Collins out of Blooming Grove. 

• Upvote 2

I am just surprised how much he has

moved around and how little we have heard about him. Jordan is killing it in England and Jacob is representing UNT well in Australia. Roger seems to be making a long term run as well. Mitchell has jumped around a lot. I would be interested to know why he hasn't settled in for a long term (2-3 years) contract somewhere. 

Just my opinion... but, probably because he keeps getting shots in the NBA.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Never looked like he opened his eyes all the way + had a baby + derailed by incompetent excuse for head basketball coach = being called overrated. 

stop making excuses. he couldn't even hack it at some piss-ant, back-water school like tarleton state. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am not going to call any player the most overrated, but Riley Dodge, Milton Collins and Tony Mitchell did a lot more for NT than most of the athletics to ever play here.   Each one of these players gave NT a ton of free publicity and all were far from busts.  Riley played with as much heart as anyone and the few times he was healthy was a good quarterback.   Milton Collins was the most high profile football recruit to ever sign at NT and he gave a lot of creditability to Fry's program.   He also ended up starting on the defensive line.  Tony should have been the POY his freshman year at NT.

No Mitchell was not a future NBA star, but he was definitely a signing that should have been build upon.  Collins didn't come close to being the next "Earl Campbell" or even a good running back, but finished up at NT being a contributor.  I don't know why Dodge was even brought up, few thought he was going to be a star QB.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1