Recruiting for the new coach

BillySee58

Two questions for you guys:

First, with the new coach, what geographical areas do you want to see emphasized? I do want to see Denton county recruited better, but East Texas should be a heavy priority. Think about small East Texas town Jeff Wilson choosing us over NMSU, Texas State, and UL Monroe. Put him at a Denton school, or any DFW school, and he's got double digit offers and multiple P5s. We have to win recruiting battles, but East Texas is very much to our advantage. I also really want to see more emphasis on Houston again, as well as at least some out of state recruiting.

Second, do you want us to recruit JUCOs early on? Mac didn't recruit many in his first few classes, said he would focus on high school players, and when that didn't work he went juco as a last resort. It was too late to overcome at that point. Similar situation with Dodge. Should we recruit some JUCOs early on, including this class? I think the JUCOs with the good offer lists have been worth the scholarships, so maybe sprinkle some in but still focus on high school kids.

• Upvote 1

As far as JUCOs go, I would definitely target only those that fill a need, whether it be depth at one position or a starter at another. Probably more of what we saw this past recruiting cycle at first, with the goal to try to decrease it over time as we sign and develop better HS recruits.

Obvs DFW and Denton area, but definitely need to continue to establish east Texas as Mean Green country. Is it Grant that has a connection to that region? Maybe try to push into Tech territory and try to make a name for ourselves out west.

As far as JUCOs go, I would definitely target only those that fill a need, whether it be depth at one position or a starter at another. Probably more of what we saw this past recruiting cycle at first, with the goal to try to decrease it over time as we sign and develop better HS recruits.

Obvs DFW and Denton area, but definitely need to continue to establish east Texas as Mean Green country. Is it Grant that has a connection to that region? Maybe try to push into Tech territory and try to make a name for ourselves out west.

Perry has been our ace east Texas recruiter

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Recruit the highest available talent that we can get in here regardless of position, need, or where they come from be it juco, transfer or high school. Obviously do not absolutely neglect needs, but I have no issue with a coach getting two 3 star safeties that had 5-7 offers and converting one of them to a WLB. I'd rather have that approach than tabbing one 3 star safety and getting a NR, no offered true WLB. In other words, recruit the absolute best talent that will come here with paying slight attention to needs unless needs are 100% absolute. 

Perry has been our ace east Texas recruited

Who has he brought in? 

Who went into Oklahoma & pulled Harrison & Preston?    Who went to Houston & flipped Young?   Need to keep an eye on those guys too.

Preston was Lamarcus Hicks. KP was Young. Harrison was KP but Mac and Quartaro visited him. I could be wrong, but I think Quartaro was technically his lead recruiter with KP heavily involved, particularly on his OV. 

• Upvote 1