OK first list was too young -- how about these?

Harry

The point of my post was that t I just don't think that any AD here will have the stones to pull the trigger on a JC coach. RV wont go down that path again and a new AD won't make that his first hire. Just stating the realities.

Yes, but I was referring to caring too much about appeasing the fan base.

I completely agree about RV. That's a major reason I don't want RV making this hire, among many, many reasons. I feel like he, and many involved, believe Dodge failed because he was a high school coach, and that choosing a high school coach was the sole problem. Couldn't have just been a bad hire on RV's part, because that never happens under normal conditions.

The point of my post was that t I just don't think that any AD here will have the stones to pull the trigger on a JC coach. RV wont go down that path again and a new AD won't make that his first hire. Just stating the realities.

At this point there are no realities on any type of hire.

We dont even know who is making the hire.

We dont know what our athletic department is willing to do.

We dont know the criteria they are looking for. 

Are they willing to pay big bucks? Are they wanting a cheap hire? Young or Old?

All the guys names being thrown around are all solid names and should be given at least interviews. 

• Upvote 1

At this point there are no realities on any type of hire.

We dont even know who is making the hire.

We dont know what our athletic department is willing to do.

We dont know the criteria they are looking for. 

Are they willing to pay big bucks? Are they wanting a cheap hire? Young or Old?

All the guys names being thrown around are all solid names and should be given at least interviews. 

if RV is making the hire then we know exactly what the criteria is.  It'll be someone from a P5 school or remotely connected in some fashion to someone from a p5 school that  everyone has heard of before in which a long list of stories can be written and talked to death about......just long enough to keep your interest till the losing gets too bad for people to tolerate.

Rick

• Upvote 1

if RV is making the hire then we know exactly what the criteria is.  It'll be someone from a P5 school or remotely connected in some fashion to someone from a p5 school that  everyone has heard of before in which a long list of stories can be written and talked to death about......just long enough to keep your interest till the losing gets too bad for people to tolerate.

Rick

This. There are some good coaching candidates in this thread but I don't pretend to have the expertise to properly pick one. I DO have serious concerns that we are fixated on the coach when we should be fixated on the AD at this point in time. I believe the correct sequence is to have a new AD participate in hiring a new coach. Otherwise, you have a situation where the new AD is stuck with "the other guy's coach" for several years. Hell, the new guys may not even like each other worth a damn! We're setting ourselves up for more years of dysfunction.  I think there is a game afoot to deflect fire from the current AD and try to save his culo.   I suspect this is why the balls-to-the-wall search for a new coach has so swiftly begun. Just my opinion and gut feel, no facts to present.

• Upvote 2

Yeah...I wished we were in such a deep abyss as to where we finished this year 5-7 like CU did during Hawkins final year there.  I guess your idea of a deep abyss isn't the same as mine.  If 5-7 is a deep abyss to you then your about to witness something that makes the Mariana Trench look like a wading pool.

Look..I'm just spitballing here like everyone else.  Hawkins isn't my first choice...Joe Moglia at Coatal Carolina is.  But just because a coach has a blemish on their record doesn't mean they can't rebound.  Hawkins is 11d2-63-1 overall as a head coach in college.  If he's available, affordable, still hungry, understands past mistakes and driven to build another program again then he should certainly be considered.

Rick

As long as he doesn't have any relatives playing high school football....

• Upvote 1

Although, some will turn their nose up at JUCO ...

JUNO. We took a lot of shots around the country for hiring a head coach straight from high school, and we've done it twice to terrible results. A coach like Smiley needs to move out of JUCO to a coordinator job somewhere before he deserves any head coach consideration in FBS.

He did better at Kansas than anyone since, knows how to score on offense and all around hard nose coach.

I agree he is a good coach I just don't know if he would be a good head coach here.  I wouldn't rule him out though.

We've had some coaches with the resumes most people on here want, and they failed.

McCarney's the only coach we've ever hired who was put in a real stadium and paid a non-laughable mid-major salary. We don't know what a coach with a good FBS resume as a head coach or top coordinator could do here.

UNT doesn't have to make an epic reach with someone like a JUCO coach. It would excite no one and the national press would react like they did to the Dodge hire.

• Upvote 2

McCarney's the only coach we've ever hired who was put in a real stadium and paid a non-laughable mid-major salary. We don't know what a coach with a good FBS resume as a head coach or top coordinator could do here.

UNT doesn't have to make an epic reach with someone like a JUCO coach. It would excite no one and the national press would react like they did to the Dodge hire.

You know that is a valid point.  Mac always beat the drum of how bad things were before he got here but what he didn't factor in was that no UNT coach before him had the level of resources he inherited (better conference, stadium, salaries, facilities)..

Edited by Harry

Joe Moglia is 66 years old and is only coaching because he wants too, not for the money but just for the challenge.  He will retire from coaching from Coastal Carolina.

He has no ties to Coastal Carolina and took that job at 63. Why wouldn't he jump to FBS if a job was offered to him?

It's a weird idea, but there could be some perks in having a coach with a net worth of $24 million who built Ameritrade's market cap from $700 million to $12 billion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fouts wasn't a good stadium, but we were rolling when Fry left and those guys I mentioned with real 1A/FBS resumes were not successful, and it's not because they had no chance playing in Fouts. It was just over 20 years old at the time and we were winning there substantially in that era.

Like I said, it doesn't matter what people think and hiring someone who doesn't have the resume we all want is not necessarily an epic reach. Briles was not a national head turner when Houston hired him in 2003. He was a really good fit and obviously a future star. Getting that type of guy is much more important than getting someone from a school who is mentioned on ESPN the most who might not be a good fit. Getting Smiley is not a must for me, but I just think people should get it out of their heads that best resume does not necessarily equal best hire. Whether we're at Fouts or Apogee.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

And then bring in Ed Orgeron to coach the defense. Or just hire Ed to do the entire thing. Press conferences would be must-see TV. 

No to Orgeron he quit on USC rather than finish the season as an interim coach, this team judging by the past weekend already has enough quitters

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

He has no ties to Coastal Carolina and took that job at 63. Why wouldn't he jump to FBS if a job was offered to him?

It's a weird idea, but there could be some perks in having a coach with a net worth of $24 million who built Ameritrade's market cap from $700 million to $12 billion.

After he left the business world his stated goal was to be a college football coach.  Coastal Carolina took a leap of faith and hire him as their head coach.  As to becoming an FBS head football coach he will get that chance with Coastal as they begin their transition to the Sun Belt.

Fouts wasn't a good stadium, but we were rolling when Fry left and those guys I mentioned with real 1A/FBS resumes were not successful, and it's not because they had no chance playing in Fouts. It was just over 20 years old at the time and we were winning there substantially in that era.

That was a different era. Fouts wasn't as big a detriment as the fact that Hayden Fry could put together 10-1 and 9-2 seasons and never get a bowl invitation.

By the '90s Fouts was so decrepit that I shudder to think about what recruits thought when they saw the place. How many generators had to be brought in by the end just to power the lights and field for games?

That was a different era. Fouts wasn't as big a detriment as the fact that Hayden Fry could put together 10-1 and 9-2 seasons and never get a bowl invitation.

By the '90s Fouts was so decrepit that I shudder to think about what recruits thought when they saw the place. How many generators had to be brought in by the end just to power the lights and field for games?

I'm having trouble following your point. Here's how I've been following our back and forth:

Me - We hired guys after Fry who had the resumes many on here want now, and they didn't finish with winning records here. They can be successful here, but they can also fail. There is no sure fire resume that will translate here like many seem to think. Most important is fit.

You - We've never seen those type of hires when they had Apogee stadium to work with.

Me - Stadium was not a huge issue in the early 80s when those guys were taking over the program. Fouts wasn't the catastrophe of a stadium yet and Fry was winning there at the time, so Fouts was not the reason those guys didn't have success here.

You - Fry not getting us into bowls was a bigger problem than Fouts. It was terrible to recruit to Fouts in the 90s, and we needed generators to keep the lights running towards the end.

I really don't know how your last point ties back to coaches with good resumes not winning here in the early 80s. But honestly, can we just leave it at these coaches with good resumes still have to be the right fit?

I really don't know how your last point ties back to coaches with good resumes not winning here in the early 80s. But honestly, can we just leave it at these coaches with good resumes still have to be the right fit?

Sure. I want a coach who has proven something at the FBS level. Preferably as a head coach, but I'd accept a top coordinator who has experienced enough success to have a feel for how to build and sustain a program.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, the BEST shot we have is to take someone who has ties to the State. I know this is out of the box, but I really like Travis Bush (who is with the Bills right now). I think he got the short end of the stick at U of H, knows how to recruit, and knows just about every HS HC in Texas. Thoughts on him? 

Of those listed. I'd go with Mario Cristobal.

16990054-mmmain.jpg

Two stated later, Mangino and Orgeron are also interesting to me.

Well, OK, but I think this could be the next head coach at The U. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In my opinion, the BEST shot we have is to take someone who has ties to the State. I know this is out of the box, but I really like Travis Bush (who is with the Bills right now). I think he got the short end of the stick at U of H, knows how to recruit, and knows just about every HS HC in Texas. Thoughts on him? 

His resume is thin. He served one 8-5 season as Houston's OC and one season as UTSA's OC a few years earlier. I can't even figure out what he's doing at the Bills.