OK first list was too young -- how about these?

Harry

Jay Novell, UT
Doug Nussmeier, Florida
Clint Bowen, Kansas
Cale Gundy, OU
Mario Cristobal, Alabama

I like Bowen as a possibility. Tough guy, good age, and might have some positive feelings for our school. Might be the kind of guy who would stick around if he led us to success. I guess the negatives might be on the offensive side of the ball, and being a Kansas boy, what kind of a Texas recruiter would he be? Children of the corn have not always worked out so well here, but we are kind of located in the gateway to that part of the country.

Dan Hawkins? If you thought Mac favored McNulty, Hawkins takes nepotism to a whole new level. Him & his talentless son drove the CU football program into a deeper abyss than what it was already in. 

Cristobal is intriguing.

Turner Gill, anyone?

Edited by Got5onIt

Brad Smiley at TVCC name needs to be on this list.  Although, some will turn their nose up at JUCO, no better place to look and get a bunch of ego maniacs in line to play as a team.  TVCC seems to be doing that on a regular basis.  Plus, his OC has lit up the stats for three years running.

• Upvote 5

Brad Smiley at TVCC name needs to be on this list.  Although, some will turn their nose up at JUCO, no better place to look and get a bunch of ego maniacs in line to play as a team.  TVCC seems to be doing that on a regular basis.  Plus, his OC has lit up the stats for three years running.

Hey! I finally got a second! Yes, very few would here would be willing to consider him just because he's a juco coach. I think he has a lot of translatable qualities to this job, and I would like to see him considered, because I think he's a guy who could knock the interviews out of the park.

Another name I saw may be a realistic candidate is a coach who, interestingly, is on our schedule next year. Turner Gill, the current coach at Liberty and former coach at Kansas and Buffalo. Apparently Gill is very likely to be interested in this job, and he was a grad assistant here at North Texas 25 years ago.

• Upvote 2

Really need a guy who has done it before.  Out of these, Cristobal makes the most sense IMO.  Norvell is interesting,  though. 

Yes , yes , yes. A guy who's been there before and had some success in a difficult situation.  Mario Cristobal and Turner Gill both fit that bill. Both are doing well in their current situations, too. 

Clint Bowen, if I remember correctly, did a good job recruiting for us.  Not sure what his resume' looks like.

On second thought, we really, really need someone that has the Texas ties, someone that is known and respected in the high schools in our state.  We have to channel some of these Texas HS quarterbacks into Denton.

Edited by DeepGreen

Jay Novell, UT
Doug Nussmeier, Florida
Clint Bowen, Kansas
Cale Gundy, OU
Mario Cristobal, Alabama

I like Jay Norvell. He has Big 10, Big 12, and NFL coaching experience and played in the NFL for the Bears and Iowa as a defensive back. When I was living in OKC, I'd see him all the time at DFW on his way home from  recruiting trips...

Norvell is relying heavily on Traylor from Gilmer right now. So I'm not that much of a fan.

• Downvote 1

Dan Hawkins? If you thought Mac favored McNulty, Hawkins takes nepotism to a whole new level. Him & his talentless son drove the CU football program into a deeper abyss than what it was already in. 

Yeah...I wished we were in such a deep abyss as to where we finished this year 5-7 like CU did during Hawkins final year there.  I guess your idea of a deep abyss isn't the same as mine.  If 5-7 is a deep abyss to you then your about to witness something that makes the Mariana Trench look like a wading pool.

Look..I'm just spitballing here like everyone else.  Hawkins isn't my first choice...Joe Moglia at Coatal Carolina is.  But just because a coach has a blemish on their record doesn't mean they can't rebound.  Hawkins is 112-63-1 overall as a head coach in college.  If he's available, affordable, still hungry, understands past mistakes and driven to build another program again then he should certainly be considered.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

Yeah...I wished we were in such a deep abyss as to where we finished this year 5-7 like CU did during Hawkins final year there.  I guess your idea of a deep abyss isn't the same as mine.  If 5-7 is a deep abyss to you then your about to witness something that makes the Mariana Trench look like a wading pool.

Look..I'm just spitballing here like everyone else.  Hawkins isn't my first choice...Joe Moglia at Coatal Carolina is.  But just because a coach has a blemish on their record doesn't mean they can't rebound.  Hawkins is 112-63-1 overall as a head coach in college.  If he's available, affordable, still hungry, understands past mistakes and driven to build another program again then he should certainly be considered.

Rick

Like your Joe Moglia at Coastal Carolina. Certainly think he deserves an interview. Its out of the box thinking, but we need that.

• Downvote 1

He may be a great coach with a great system but I think too many people around here have a sour taste for hiring a coach that is making that big of a jump in coaching levels. I don't think this hiring would go over too well. Again, he may be the best man for the job but I just don't see RV, or any other AD(fingers crossed), making that call after the Dodge fiasco.

I like Jay Norvell. He has Big 10, Big 12, and NFL coaching experience and played in the NFL for the Bears and Iowa as a defensive back. When I was living in OKC, I'd see him all the time at DFW on his way home from  recruiting trips...

What about Mike Norvell at AZ State?  Probably out of our price range though.

Rick

Joe Moglia is 66 years old and is only coaching because he wants too, not for the money but just for the challenge.  He will retire from coaching from Coastal Carolina.

• Upvote 1

He may be a great coach with a great system but I think too many people around here have a sour taste for hiring a coach that is making that big of a jump in coaching levels. I don't think this hiring would go over too well. Again, he may be the best man for the job but I just don't see RV, or any other AD(fingers crossed), making that call after the Dodge fiasco.

So what? In the hypothetical instance that we were to give the job to Smiley, if people were to be hung up on that hire just because his last job was as a JC head coach, then they're not doing near enough homework to be critical of that hypothetical hire. Or if it's someone else who doesn't have the resume people want. 

We've had some coaches with the resumes most people on here want, and they failed. When Hayden Fry left our job was about as attractive as it's ever been. Following him, in succession, we hired Nebraska's OC, Mississippi State's Head Coach (was winning at Miss State but left because of violations and was awful here), and Baylor's DC. None finished with winning records here.

There is no sure fire resume that will definitely translate to success here. It takes the right fit, first and foremost. That's why I like Smiley. A lot of translatable qualities to this job. That's what we need to focus on. Not making the fan base happy by hiring a guy they've seen on ESPN. Because in all honesty the more a guy has been on ESPN, the happier this fan base as a whole will be with this hire. So that shouldn't be any consideration in the actual decision.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

So what? In the hypothetical instance that we were to give the job to Smiley, if people were to be hung up on that hire just because his last job was as a JC head coach, then they're not doing near enough homework to be critical of that hypothetical hire. Or if it's someone else who doesn't have the resume people want. 

We've had some coaches with the resumes most people on here want, and they failed. When Hayden Fry left our job was about as attractive as it's ever been. We hired Nebraska's OC, Mississippi State's Head Coach (was winning at Miss State but left because of violations and was awful here), and Baylor's DC. None finished with winning records here.

There is no sure fire resume that will definitely translate to success here. It takes the right fit, first and foremost. That's why I like Smiley. A lot of translatable qualities to this job. That's what we need to focus on. Not making the fan base happy by making a hire they've seen on ESPN.

The point of my post was that t I just don't think that any AD here will have the stones to pull the trigger on a JC coach. RV wont go down that path again and a new AD won't make that his first hire. Just stating the realities.

• Upvote 1