Recruiting Moving Forward

Withers940

personally -- I would NOT allow this staff to provide any offers or close on any existing.  It does nothing but weigh the new staff down and disappoint families.  These assistants can still recruit, go out an build relationships but I would expect RV is stating that all outstanding offers are on hold until the new staff is hired.  There is plenty of time.  Most of our recruiting cycle is in Dec Jan anyhow.

• 1 month later...

This is the primary issue that this new coach will have to demonstrate to get this job.  This is not a question that can be summarily dismissed because of who he is or where he's been.  Sure you want a track record of successfully identifying and recruiting the top athletes.  Hiwever, the ideal candidate would have in his mind a plan already formulated to succeed.  A plan specific to UNT.  He would have a team of assistants in mind who could make the plan happen.  This candidate will quickly assess strengths and weaknesses and come up with a sincere message that is compelling to recruits and their parents.  For instance, I understand our GPA's and graduation rates are near the top of C-USA.  That sells.

I really don't think the problem is North Texas as much as the recruitjng system and accountability employed by Mac.  Some simple tweaks of this system could reap dividends. 

To answer you question specifically - I think you make early contact with the guys you want and then extend the formal offers late in the process.  As you near closer to signing day you find out a lot of quality guys who come to the realization they aren't going to A&M or Texas.  It's also a time where prospects start to realize they may want to stay closer to home.  Once you win consistently you can start to do more of the early committments.  These are just my opinions, I really don't care what they do so long as they have a good plan; they incentivize and praise the assistants who bring in good players and the leather is hitting the concrete in a consistent and methodical way.

If we get a HC that was at a P5 program, particularly regionally, he will already know who the borderline P5 talent is and can start offering those players to establish a baseline for a respectable class. 

Why do you have "regional" as a qualifier to recognize talent? Surely someone from another part of the country could recognize talent?

• Upvote 1

Why do you have "regional" as a qualifier to recognize talent? Surely someone from another part of the country could recognize talent?

Because a regional coach currently at a P5 program will know who the regional borderline P5 talent is. A coach from elsewhere will have no idea. Most recruits stay regional when choosing a school. 

• Upvote 1