Rank Your Top Coaching Choices

Side Show Joe

Lots of speculation about where UNT should look for its next head coach. List you top choices in order by preference and state why they would be good.

Here are mine:

1. Kendal Briles ($?)- A successful Texas coordinator that runs a high powered college offense. Already has strong ties to Texas high school coaches. Recruits will know him and what he will do.

2. Sonny Cumbie ($210,000 at Tex Tech in 2014, must make more at TCU) - A successful Texas offensive coordinator that runs a high powered college offense. Strong ties in Texas recruiting. Never coached outside of Texas.

3. Major Applewhite ($600,000 at Texas in 2014, must make less at Houston) - A successful Texas offensive coordinator. Strong ties in Texas recruiting.

Dark Horse: Tyson Helton ($135,000 at WKU in 2014) - Offensive Coordinator at WKU. Former QB at the University of Houston. Son of NFL and College coach Kim Helton. We get to see him coach on Thursday.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

Lots of speculation about where UNT should look for its next head coach. List you top choices in order by preference and state why they would be good.

Here are mine:

1. Kendal Briles ($?)- A successful Texas coordinator that runs a high powered college offense. Already has strong ties to Texas high school coaches. Recruits will know him and what he will do.

2. Sonny Cumbie ($210,000 at Tex Tech in 2014, must make more at TCU) - A successful Texas offensive coordinator that runs a high powered college offense. Strong ties in Texas recruiting. Never coached outside of Texas.

3. Major Applewhite ($600,000 at Texas in 2014, must make less at Houston) - A successful Texas offensive coordinator. Strong ties in Texas recruiting.

Dark Horse: Tyson Helton ($135,000 at WKU in 2014) - Offensive Coordinator at WKU. Former QB at the University of Houston. Son of NFL and College coach Kim Helton. We get to see him coach on Thursday.

Mine is essentially a copy and paste of this. Perfect answer.  

• Upvote 2

The problem is UNT isn't going to pay a head coach the money that a quality head coach would demand. 

I don't know that for sure. Few on here thought Mac would be shown the door, but out the door he went.

I believe we are in uncharted waters at UNT. If RV stays as our AD, then you are probably right. But if Smatresk and the BOR bring in a new AD, things could be very different. I believe we could lure one of these coaches, or another quality candidate.

If we can get close to a million dollars someone will take a chance. That's real money. 

I agree. There are only 128 or so head coaching jobs in the FBS, and only a handful of those open up each year. Many coordinators would take chose to a million dollars a season for our job. A good hungry college coordinator with a high powered offense could do wonders selling our resources and location to recruits.

• Upvote 4

Can someone in the know explain what's going on with fees that fund the athletic department? I was talking to my neighbor, who's an Aggie dad, and he asked why our students don't pay like he does. I didn't have an answer because I don't know anything about it. 37,000 students is big and being the 25th largest school in the US is think it's pretty outrageous we don't seem competitive in the financial department. I know donations are a big deal too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I like to get my learn on.

From Kendal Briles bio:

A talented recruiter, Briles was named the Big 12 Recruiter of the Year in both 2013 and 2014.

Briles earned multiple Big 12 Recruiter of the Year awards in 2014 (Rivals, Scout, 247Sports) after Baylor signed a class ranked 22nd nationally by ESPN and 23rd by Scout.

that is why I think he should be considered. Plus.....that offense. Wow. 

• Upvote 2

Here are mine:

Solid list. I also think Meacham would be a huge get but may be a stretch financially. 

We must get someone who will implement a up-tempo offense that HS kids will actually want to play out. No more old school offense philosophy. 

From Kendal Briles bio:

A talented recruiter, Briles was named the Big 12 Recruiter of the Year in both 2013 and 2014.

Briles earned multiple Big 12 Recruiter of the Year awards in 2014 (Rivals, Scout, 247Sports) after Baylor signed a class ranked 22nd nationally by ESPN and 23rd by Scout.

that is why I think he should be considered. Plus.....that offense. Wow. 

I did more research on Briles and he is extremely impressive.

Lots of talk about needing a spread offense in order to recruit.  I have also seen Willie Fritz's name come up multiple times.  We would basically eliminate ourselves from any QB recruiting.  Do we really want to run the option?

Maybe it would be the gimmick we need.  No other team in the conference or state runs it.

I am a little hesitant, but I could probably be convinced.  I think I would rather have an up and coming spread disciple, but then again we tried that recently.