Homecoming Excitement?

meangreenacct

Is this the least excited you have ever been for Homecoming?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the least excited you have ever been for Homecoming?

• Yes
    • No

Is this the least excited you have ever been for a UNT Homecoming? I've been following 15 years and can't think of a year I was any less excited...and I lived through Dodge.

I planned on coming...up until the Astros made the ALDS. Now I have Sunday tickets. I'm still coming up for the UTSA game on Halloween though.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This may be the worst going into a game since 1995, but the following account will hopefully make you realize its not as bad as it once was here...

We played Northwestern State in 1992 on Homecoming--at Fouts---in front of about 10k (the largest of the season)---as a really bad I-aa team---with Dennis Parker, a previous high school coach, leading us.

During that game, we were driving to either tie or go for the winning TD. As we were moving, we ran out of timeouts as we reached the 10 or 15 yard line, maybe even closer...when the QB looks over and sees Parker telling him to down the ball...on third down...with about 20 seconds left in the game...forcing us to make the decision to kick a FG to tie or go for it on 4th down. We kick the FG to tie it...then try an onsides kick...from our 35 yard line. They recover it, throw one pass to get to about our 30, then kick the winning FG on the last play of the game. That was when it was officially known that Parker was completely in over his head as a college coach. So glad we didn't hire Paul Johnson or Dennis Franchione instead, both of whom wanted the job at the time Corky Nelson got fired after the 1990 season.

• Upvote 2

I won't be coming to Homecoming and it sucks. Every single one of my friends cancelled, including season ticket holders, and I'm not dragging my family up to watch this disaster. 

Homecoming is usually an annual event for my friends and I too. It's sad but people aren't going to drive into town, get hotels, and waste money watching this crap. Thanks RV and Mac...

• Upvote 4

I won't be coming to Homecoming and it sucks. Every single one of my friends cancelled, including season ticket holders, and I'm not dragging my family up to watch this disaster. 

Homecoming is usually an annual event for my friends and I too. It's sad but people aren't going to drive into town, get hotels, and waste money watching this crap. Thanks RV and Mac...

Yea - we are still going because we live close, but couldn't convince people to go and tailgate with us...even if we paid for everything. So we will only be going to the game to do our part to cheer on the team with none of the other usual fun parts of homecoming.

• Upvote 2

This may be the worst going into a game since 1995, but the following account will hopefully make you realize its not as bad as it once was here...

We played Northwestern State in 1992 on Homecoming--at Fouts---in front of about 10k (the largest of the season)---as a really bad I-aa team---with Dennis Parker, a previous high school coach, leading us.

During that game, we were driving to either tie or go for the winning TD. As we were moving, we ran out of timeouts as we reached the 10 or 15 yard line, maybe even closer...when the QB looks over and sees Parker telling him to down the ball...on third down...with about 20 seconds left in the game...forcing us to make the decision to kick a FG to tie or go for it on 4th down. We kick the FG to tie it...then try an onsides kick...from our 35 yard line. They recover it, throw one pass to get to about our 30, then kick the winning FG on the last play of the game. That was when it was officially known that Parker was completely in over his head as a college coach. So glad we didn't hire Paul Johnson or Dennis Franchione instead, both of whom wanted the job at the time Corky Nelson got fired after the 1990 season.

There is a bright spot to your story. The 1992 team was in it all the way and fought until the end. The 2015 team would get blown out. Both the squads played or are playing an FCS team too.

How did it come to this...

• Upvote 1

Yea - we are still going because we live close, but couldn't convince people to go and tailgate with us...even if we paid for everything. So we will only be going to the game to do our part to cheer on the team with none of the other usual fun parts of homecoming.

Well, if the AD had actually helped you on this front, it might have been a different story. Scheduling one OOC home game, against an FCS team that no one has heard of or cares about, doesn't exactly inspire UNT fans to come out, much less any of your neighbors or friends that have no connection to UNT. Hell, even scheduling a conference game that weekend would have been light years better than what we got.

2.5 years to go...

• Upvote 2

I guess since I live locally, and in my upbringing, homecoming (and that whole king and queen popularity contest thing) is a high school thing, I've never really thought of homecoming as an extraordinary weekend over any other football home game except that there are usually "guests" in the club that invariably um, behave a little differently.

• Upvote 5

I will be there for sure this week, but I am torn between deciding which is the least painful thing to do the rest of the season: (A) go to and sit through at least part of the remaining games, or (B) stay home and realize I could have spent the money renewing my season tickets this year on something way more entertaining.  I like doing my small part to help the program with MGC and tickets, but I was never this uninterested in all the Dodge years.  Heck, at least many of those games were still entertaining and fun to watch in spite of the losses.

• Upvote 2

You could actually substitute the phrase "a season" for the word Homecoming and say it for me.    I once really looked forward to the start of the season and each week that we had a game.    The last twenty years have pretty much sucked the excitement out of it for me.   

• Upvote 1

USA MEXICO?

totally. figured I'd see you at Eastside(?) 

and the leaving after a quarter plan was when I thought the game was at 6...given the 4 start time I'll stick it out for at least a half...probably even have time to get quality eats at 940s or barley&board ahead of the match

• Upvote 1

totally. figured I'd see you at Eastside(?) 
and the leaving after a quarter plan was when I thought the game was at 6...given the 4 start time I'll stick it out for at least a half...probably even have time to get quality eats at 940s or barley&board ahead of the match

si.

• Upvote 1