Favorite place on campus...

Reading all the football negativity and feeling it myself, made me think about what I loved about UNT when I went to school here as an undergrad. 

While at UNT I changed my major three times and spent most my time worrying about things outside of school (Women, booze, live music, and etc.), there was one place I loved more than anywhere else... Wooten hall. Most importantly those wooden benches on the second floor.

I too have a unique memory from those Wooten second floor benches. I flagged down RV after he addressed an SGA meeting, and pitched him an idea that I had already vetted internally for SGA to purchase one of the new Apogee suites and reserve it as a rotating contest for students each home game week. We would generate student interest and incentive for school pride to then earn entry into a weekly lottery for the suite tickets. He genuinely at the time thought it was a good idea and we talked about it at length for probably 30 minutes thinking up any hitches or snags. He then neglected to reply to any follow-up emails regarding the idea until the following February when he said, "yeaaaah, but booze." Which hey, I get. But come on.

---------

My favorite spot on campus was the UNT Recording Services studio on the first floor Main Music building. Besides being just cool and decked out in all the accoutrements of a great studio -and working there was swell too- it just had a great sense of privacy as it was only accessible by keycard or keypad entry. Double that with a sonically sealed-off room, great couch, etc. and it became a genuine bubble cave away from the loud chaos of the rest of the building.

Nowadays, I'm going to say my office on the second floor of the building. No kidding guys, I super lucked-out with this one.

• Upvote 1

Not so much a place as an experience... My favorite experience as an undergrad was when my friend and I (same major, same classes) would finish up our major papers and research in Willis and walk through the campus at 2:00am back to our cars..  We always felt like a huge weight was lifted off our shoulders after completing our projects.  That was when I was able to take in the campus and I loved walking through it at night. 

• Upvote 4

The frisbee golf course that snaked through campus. We had a standing game that would tee off at midnight (back then thats when the bars closed). Played a couple times a week. Load up a 6, put in a big ass chew and tee off. Loved those warm summer nights, the flickering lights and the dead calm of the campus at 1am in July. Awesome.

With the new construction, not sure the old course still exists. The course layout wasn't something that was publicized or printed out but passed down. Would love to know if its still around.

And yes, I do believe I could still take my ultimate frisbee and dominate the dudes who play with a bag of disks. The pouch is for your chew, the bag is for your beer...Amateurs.

• Upvote 4

I have three spots. I would have to say The Willis library on the third/floor where it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I spent too many sleepless nights there starting and finishing term papers that were due the next morning or cramming for a midterm/Final Exam. Like @Travis said, the walk from the library at like 1-2am to get back to your car. The winter time was the best because it would be so cold and the campus was so majestic.

2nd Spot would have to be Wooten Hall (History Building), mainly because I was a history major and spend most of my years in that building. I guess its the smell of the building that is so memorable. Like old leather bound books waiting to be cracked open by the professors as they lecture for hours on end. Also Great Wooten Hall memories would be waking up, taking down a 5 hour energy, then walking into class to turn in my take my exam or turn in my term paper feeling like the walking dead. I miss walking up those cool stairs too.

3rd memory would have to be Fry Street Tavern even though its not a part of UNT, it was a part of 4 years of my college life. I bar tended there for four years and it was some of the funnest nights of my life in college. Serving College Kids and myself way too much and laughing our asses of at random shit through out the night. Good times that will never be remembered and never be forgotten.

• Upvote 4

The Bruce Hall Lobby.  Back in the day (79-81 for me) when the lobby & cafeteria were the only places air conditioned in Bruce, everyone spent all their time in the lobby, day and night.  Constant games of Risk, lots of pickup jazz combos playing, Dominos and Chanellos pizzas delivered, and... impromptu stand-up comedy by Dave Zalud  (I'll be surprised if anyone other than @Danish43 knows who he is).

• Upvote 1

I spent many hours in the graduate study carrels in Willis Library. After class, I often decompressed and had "philosophical" conversations at the State Club with other students and occasionally a prof (if it was a night class). When hungry, I always tried to hit the Flying Tomato. Since my eating/drinking haunts are gone, I guess that dates me.

• Upvote 1

I spent way too much time at the BSU building right next to Wooten Hall.  It was really the center of my college activities.  I did a lot of good things there and was even the President one year but, still, way too many hours hanging out there.  On the plus side, my Spades and Hearts skills were maxed out.  :) 

FYI:  the old BSU  building is being completely rebuilt and should open later this fall.  I'll miss the old girl but I'm looking forward to seeing the new building next time I'm in town. 

• Upvote 1

I am an accountant today because Cool Beans was cool with letting me order a single diet coke and sit in the corner for hours on end trying to figure out what the hell debits and credits were.  The student union was built like sitting down was some sort of municipal crime, and I didn't discover the Willis Library until about my third year in.

Also, their Mean Green Burger was always super delicious.  I put on more than my share of student pounds consuming those things.

• Upvote 1

Favorite place at UNT was the front of the Language Arts building, probably because of all the time spent around there before and after classes.  Plus, the proximity to Rick's,The Flying Tomato, Riprocks, etc. was second to none.  Get out of class, hit the giant porch areas and stairs in the front of the Language Arts building, recruit friends and strangers to go for a pitcher. 

As far as favorite "get away" place in Denton, I'd often to read/study at McKenna Park instead of the library. 

I miss me some tomato. Mangia here in Austin just doesn't meet the standard although it is the closest I've found since the Tomato burned down..

• Upvote 1

I was a Mangia fan when I lived in Austin, too, but the most memorable thing about it for me was my brother and I convincing my sainted mother it was called Mangina's with a straight face so she could then suggest to the rest of the family we "grab some Manginas" the Sunday after a family wedding.

ngGHzLd.gif

• Upvote 7

Good ol' Wutang Hall. There was a swinging bench underneath some trees pretty close to the Union next to a building that I can't remember the name of that I always liked. There was also a "secret library" that nobody used that I always have good memories of goofing off and not studying in. Of course I always have fond memories when I pass by my old dumpy apartment building on Oak St. and wonder when they are going to tear it down. 

• Upvote 1

1. Media Library. Always loved renting games there.

2. Peterbilt Fields- IM football...nuff said.

3. Crooked Crust.

HOLY MOSES BATMAN HE SAID SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT UNT!! STOP THE PRESS!! 

• Upvote 4

The courts at the rec. Made lifelong friends. It opened up doors to people I wouldn't have thought I would have hung out with. I got to see parts of Houston and other areas thanks to the Rec. I would have ever been able to hoop at Fonde. Lots of hours spent/wasted there :)

• Upvote 1