Chico Tweet from this morning

Harry

This situation has to be awful for recruiting. I wonder how hard Chico is recruiting knowing his contract very likely will not be renewed. And then that makes it hard in general. We usually get a few commitments during the season. I would be surprised if we got one this year. Probably won't see us going after any QBs anytime soon, not that our staff made an effort to begin with during this cycle.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 6

Many forget the heart that Coach Canales put into the team after the Dodge firing. I know he can produce offensive game plans that look nothing like we now run. When he was interim we had lost 25 players to injury yet he beat WKU and by Bill Snyder's own comment played Kansas State off it's feet in the Fouts Field finale. I know he will find great success elsewhere once freed of Coach Mac's shackles and enhanced ego. God speed Coach Chico. I am truly sorry that no one had the vision to make you the head coach.

Such BS Canales sucks or he would be somewhere else by now. 

This situation has to be awful for recruiting. I wonder how hard Chico is recruiting knowing his contract very likely will not be renewed. And then that makes it hard in general. We usually get a few commitments during the season. I would be surprised if we got one this year. Probably won't see us going after any QBs anytime soon, not that our staff made an effort to begin with during this cycle.

I know that Simmonds is recruiting his kids still, as well as KP the others I don't know much about, but I coach in The Colony and Chico made it by a whopping 1 time in the spring and usually doesn't show back up until the same time the following year sticks his head in the door and then bolts.  

I'm not sure of that.  Canales did a tremendous job in half a season after Dodge was fired.  He brought a lot of hope and enthusiasm to the team and fans.  I believe he even  joined the podcast one week. For that I'll always remember him fondly.  Right now I don't know how much of this mess is his making but he is the quarterbacks coach and we still don't have a D1 quarterback.  Is that because Canales isn't able to recruit the guys he wants or the guys he wants can't play?  I wouldn't mind of McCarney is fired soon and he gets another gig as interim.  

• Upvote 1

I know that Simmonds is recruiting his kids still, as well as KP the others I don't know much about, but I coach in The Colony and Chico made it by a whopping 1 time in the spring and usually doesn't show back up until the same time the following year sticks his head in the door and then bolts.  

If this coaching change happens I really hope the next guy retains KP

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure of that.  Canales did a tremendous job in half a season after Dodge was fired.  He brought a lot of hope and enthusiasm to the team and fans.  I believe he even  joined the podcast one week. For that I'll always remember him fondly.  Right now I don't know how much of this mess is his making but he is the quarterbacks coach and we still don't have a D1 quarterback.  Is that because Canales isn't able to recruit the guys he wants or the guys he wants can't play?  I wouldn't mind of McCarney is fired soon and he gets another gig as interim.  

Canales was horrible, all he did was run around and shamelessly  campaign for head coach. He beat two teams  Western Kentucky which was the conference whipping boy that year and we knew we would win one other. KState had the number one worst run defense in D1a that year and we had Dunbar but still lost. 

Canales was horrible, all he did was run around and shamelessly  campaign for head coach. He beat two teams  Western Kentucky which was the conference whipping boy that year and we knew we would win one other. KState had the number one worst run defense in D1a that year and we had Dunbar but still lost. 

If you're too blind to notice the difference in the way the team played with Chico at the helm, I don't really know what to tell you.

Not advocating for him to be HC, but I'm pretty sure he could do better.

• Upvote 4

2010:  3-9-0

Coach:

Todd Dodge

Mike Canales

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-04-2010

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

09-11-2010

Rice (TX)

Denton, TX

L

09-18-2010

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

W

09-25-2010

Florida Atlantic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

L

10-02-2010

Louisiana-Lafayette

Denton, TX

L

10-09-2010

Arkansas St.

Denton, TX

L

10-16-2010

Florida International

Denton, TX

W

10-30-2010

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

L

11-06-2010

Troy (AL)

Denton, TX

W

11-13-2010

Middle Tennessee St.

Murfreesboro, TN

L

11-20-2010

Louisiana-Monroe

Monroe, LA

L

11-27-2010

Kansas St.

Denton, TX

Season Totals

Notes:

Todd Dodge coached games 1-7

Mike Canales coached games 8-12

If you're too blind to notice the difference in the way the team played with Chico at the helm, I don't really know what to tell you.

Not advocating for him to be HC, but I'm pretty sure he could do better.

I was not blind I saw a team that Dodge had lost completely and a team that had some hope after he was fired. Not sure that Canales deserves the credit more than any other coach on the roster that year or was the new energy more of the Dodge Firing itself? Even so we did not do much with it.  

2010:  3-9-0

Coach:

Todd Dodge

Mike Canales

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-04-2010

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

09-11-2010

Rice (TX)

Denton, TX

L

09-18-2010

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

W

09-25-2010

Florida Atlantic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

L

10-02-2010

Louisiana-Lafayette

Denton, TX

L

10-09-2010

Arkansas St.

Denton, TX

L

10-16-2010

Florida International

Denton, TX

W

10-30-2010

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

L

11-06-2010

Troy (AL)

Denton, TX

W

11-13-2010

Middle Tennessee St.

Murfreesboro, TN

L

11-20-2010

Louisiana-Monroe

Monroe, LA

L

11-27-2010

Kansas St.

Denton, TX

Season Totals

Notes:

Todd Dodge coached games 1-7

Mike Canales coached games 8-12

Outscored by 69 total that year, by 46 through the first four games.

We've been outscored by 113 through 4 games this year.

• Upvote 6

Arkansas State was about to hire him until Gus Malzahn came out of nowhere and said he would very much like the job.  He was a finalist for the Sam Houston State position before removing himself from consideration.  I don't know that he would have been the best choice for UNT's head coach, but your blind hatred of Canales seems to render you incapable of observing his strong points when pointing out his flaws.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Arkansas State was about to hire him until Gus Malzahn came out of nowhere and said he would very much like the job.  He was a finalist for the Sam Houston State position before removing himself from consideration.  I don't know that he would have been the best choice for head coach, but your blind hatred of Canales seems to render you incapable of observing his strong points when pointing out his flaws.

I don't have blind hatred I just don't have green colored glasses on, I don't like what he has done, I think he is a very weak OC, I don't think he could ever recruit, he can surely not prepare a QB. So you tell me what are his Strong Points? He can campaign for a coaching position well? 

Either way we need to start with a Clean Slate. 

I don't have blind hatred I just don't have green colored glasses on, I don't like what he has done, I think he is a very weak OC, I don't think he could ever recruit, he can surely not prepare a QB. So you tell me what are his Strong Points? He can campaign for a coaching position well? 

Simple facts are, (1) he did do well as interim H.C., and (2) other teams did want him.  To try to make a case by saying the opposite actually undermines your case.

Now saying we need to start with a clean slate, that's a very good point.  Pointing out that our offense has been terrible under him, regardless of how much control he had over it, is a good point.  Pointing out that we do not have an FBS-caliber QB on our roster after 6 years as QB coach is a good point.  So unless we see some kind of magical turnaround the rest of the season, I'm all in favor of sending him his walking papers.  But at the same time, I won't make false accusations against him, and I will always appreciate the solid job he did as interim H.C.

We will probably start with a clean slate.

I see 4 other games that Dodge coached that year that Canales' team could have won.