Here is the reality of our situation (long)

Harry

Look - we had some very disappointing losses the first three weeks of the 2015 season. No sugarcoating-- it sucks.   No we weren't supposed to beat Iowa but we had hoped for a better showing (ala Georgia etc).  It didn't happen.  SMU and Rice were winnable. The "Go Mean Green" banner we flew over Ford is gathering dust and tattered in AAUNT's garage.   People are unhappy on here and I can relate.  Our fans are passionate -- they see the potential and want results.  I get it.  Back 5-10 years ago we had a different mentality and a much smaller conference and budget.   As meanrob pointed out, times have changed and for the better.

My point is this -- if you are unhappy about the situation we find ourselves in then by all means voice that opinion.  It should be done in a respectful way and it should not involve individual players who are doing their best to represent us on the field of play.  I would MUCH rather see anger, frustration and passion as opposed to apathy.  It means we are starting to develop our expectations as a fanbase which is actually a very good thing.

In terms of this season, keep in mind we have lost 3 games but we have only lost one in conference play.  So the conference is in effect your second season.  Not just here but throughout the country.   Fans at Arkansas, Tennesee and Auburn are hurting as much or more than we are right now.  However, it is absolutely not out of the realm of possibilities that we could go up and win that game in Hattiesburg Saturday night.  Jeffery Wilson is special and he is back healthy.  Mac has hinted that he may be more willing to give some of our other QB's a shot if things aren't going well.  We have a young defense that should improve.  Players like KiShawn McClain are starting to emerge.   Things can change in mid season, if you don't believe that look at the 2001 season under Dickey.  We were 0-5 and dead to rights after a loss to ULM on the road and they righted the ship and ended up in a bowl.  Will that happen here?  Perhaps not,  but we have to let things play out.  I wish them the best.

In terms of if a change is needed, I see a lot of the same characters (*cough cough* UNTJim...UNT90 *cough*) stating that UNT will not step up and do what they have to to fix the situation.  These fans base this opinion on history.  And historically they may be right--  but let me say this is a new era in athletics for UNT.  We don't have 5-7 million dollar budgets anymore.  We don't play in Fouts field anymore.  We are in a respectable conference and have a growing enrollment in a great town.  We have donors giving very generous amounts to both athletics and the college in general.  The accounting fiasco is behind us now.  In many ways, other than athletics the wind is behind UNT's sails right now.  So I am confident that we have the resources and support to do whatever it takes to get things on track when that opportunity presents itself.

Let me also say that there is no advantage to making changes prior to the season playing out, certainly not after 3 games.  Any coach worth their salt would not be available until after the season anyway.   You would still have to pay out the contracts etc.  So those calling for changes now need to keep that in mind.

So - I for one have decided that I am going to see how things play out these next 4 games.  As hard as it may be I am going to try and be patient.  I will also be honest.    I want to give this staff every opportunity to right things and get us where we need to be.  I want to support the players and see them improve as the season progresses.  I hope you will consider doing the same.   I don't want you to check out.  It is your absolute right to disagree and vent --- we just ask that you try to do it in a reasonable way.  Humor is welcomed and encouraged.  It is good to laugh at yourself and the situation in times like these.

Just know that this site will remain a place where our fans can voice their true opinions freely no matter what transpires.  GMG

Edited by Harry

Good read, Harry. A reasoned approach to the problem instead of a knee-jerk. I, for one, don't bitch about the defense due to injuries, youth and a new coach; they get slack.  The offense doesn't put up enough points to win games and control the ball long enough to give that defense a breather. We have multiple playmakers on the field but they don't seem to get the ball in the right circumstances.

Whatever this season brings, I agree with evaluating the situation in November/December and making appropriate decisions at that point.

Tighten your chinstrap compadre, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

• Upvote 1

Good post and great advice to follow. The season is still young & mathematically, this team still has a lot to play for.

My problem is that I have zero patience left in me.  The rest of the schedule is brutal, no bye week remaining, & 1 less home game. If this team loses to Portland St., I don't think anyone will be able to stay level headed.

• Upvote 2

First of all, 4-5 year span is a very slow knee jerk reaction.  

Secondly, we are averaging getting beat 47-18. So, we are getting beat by an average of 4 touchdowns and some change. Our offensive output could have been much lower but powerhouse Rice tapped the brakes on us and showed mercy. They were going through the motions in the 4th quarter or we would have had the ball for about 40 seconds in the 2nd half. 

Thirdly, there is no reason to believe that we will win 2 games. I am giving us the benefit of the doubt to beat Portland based on them being Portland. But as we all know that game isn't even close to a lock and that in its own right is a joke. 

Fourthly, Danny Mccarney playing AM all season is setting us up to be at the beginning of 2014 all over again, but this time in 2016. This staff is not preparing for the future, short or long term. 

Lastly, Macs overall coaching record. It speaks for itself. I've been pronouncing this since I arrived on GMG in 2013. 

But, I get what you're saying Harry. Just sit back don't "knee jerk" and accept it and hope for the best. Well, I am not wired like that. I'm sorry, that's not going to happen. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

Actually he said-

"if you are unhappy about the situation we find ourselves in then by all means voice that opinion."

Might want to take that reading comprehension course again. Not your first offense. 

I comprehended it just fine. He's trying to calm the disgruntled. That is a mistake.  We should be fanning the flames, not indirectly, behind the back pouring water on them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 15

Will

That is what we are lacking, Harry.

We don't have the will to make changes where they need to be made, be it today, when we hit 0-5, or at the end of the season. 

You aren't something until you prove you are. 

Still waiting, and will be in the middle of basketball season. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

what exactly are you doing aside from posting on a message board? do you think cliche-laden tough-guy vitriol on the internet is actually fanning the flames of change?

Harry is smart enough to have full-well anticipated that the current state of the athletic department would breed a whole hell of a lot of negativity on here. rightfully so. my guess is that he's quite tired of reading the same thing over and over...seeing every thread, no matter the topic, devolve into the same handful of people writing the exact same thing over and over and then, I feel, truly believing they're being productive in doing so.

you've apparently made 3867 posts on here, but probably only said about a dozen different things. maybe add a bit of diversity to your game...or failing that, try channeling all your pent up frustration and ego into something that might actually be productive in affecting the change you go on about ad nauseam.

or if you can't do any of that...have the decency to recognize that this is Harry's board and you're little more than a guest here.

and stfu

RV's scheduling SUCKS!!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

And I'm the internet tough guy? 

And for the record, $50 says you wouldn't dare say any of that to my face. 

asked and answered. probably without even realizing it.

and for the record...I haven't the faintest of ideas as to what your face looks like and quite frankly don't have the slightest inclination or care to (though I'll say frosted tips...maybe a goatee) . I make it into town typically for one game a year and chose to spend my time enjoying the company of good friends in a town and at a school I love and not in the least worrying about Mac, RV and our place in college football landscape.

it will be Portland State this year...so if it's of such major consequence to you, plenty of people on here know who I am and where I'll likely be throughout the weekend and I'll try to remember to write down my above statement on an index card or some-such so I can read it off...right to your face...verbatim. you can even keep your money.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 5

I for one am not really going to jump on the wholesale firing bandwagon at the moment, because there is no way in hell that anyone of note will be fired here during the season IMO. That possibility is still most likely a couple of months away at best.

As far as coaching decisions and such go, all is fair game in that arena as far as I'm concerned. The stubbornness and general unwillingness to change and adapt has gotten beyond ridiculous. I still have dwindling hope for a halfway decent season, but that is only because I tend to be an eternal optimist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rudy, please step back from the edge. We need you. Persevere.

I remember being hit in nuts several times and Coach O'Connell would always shout "Shake it off! You can fix it after the game!".