SMU should fire coach Larry Brown

Harry

We are into the 44th season of the Larry Brown Show, and the plot never changes. If you are surprised that one of the game’s greatest minds is in NCAA trouble again, you haven’t been paying attention for the last few decades.

Brown simply does not have the kind of personality to follow NCAA rules. Coaches who follow the rules understand that doing so might cost them a recruit, or might cost a player his eligibility, and therefore might mean a down year for their team. You have to be patient, put your personal ethical code above professional gain, and trust that things will eventually work out. That’s not Brown. Of all the great coaches in basketball history, he is the neediest.

Brown’s on-court success has been built on his relentless attention to detail. He does not have any magic formula. He just coaches every little bit of the game a little better than almost everybody else. His players succeed because he convinces them there is no shortcut to success. But this is the hypocrisy of Larry Brown: Once he steps off the court, he looks for shortcuts everywhere.

Academic misconduct is a shortcut. Anybody who has ever cheated on a paper could tell you that. It’s what you do when you didn’t do the work and you can’t accept the consequences.

Lying to the NCAA? Also a shortcut.

Brown reveres his college coach, Dean Smith, but he never learned Smith’s most important lesson: How you win is more important than how much you win. Of course Brown lied to the NCAA. He lies to himself all the time. That whole history teacher bit is a lie to himself. When the NCAA was descending upon his star recruit, Emmanuel Mudiay, for academic and eligibility reasons, Brown could not admit Mudiay left for China for those reasons. Instead, he released a statement insisting "This is not an academic issue, since he has been admitted to SMU, but rather a hardship issue.”

read more: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/09/29/larry-brown-suspension-smu-postseason-ban

LARRY BROWN at final NCAA hearing:

"But I realize, you know in hindsight that was a terrible mistake on my part. I wish I could have changed all that. But we had that interview with the NCAA, I don't know why I lied. You know, dealing with people that I really care about, and I used terrible judgment, and I tried to acknowledge that as quickly as I could, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I realize that"

The staff member operated out of a desire to help the student (possibly in wuv) and never said anything about being told to do it. Brown while not aware still gets the blame. Rules are rules. However the timing of the morally bankrupt post season ban is also not kosher. Expect a fight.

The fight Syracuse put up went well huh? 7 months later they get a re trial

• Upvote 1

Brown needs to be FIRED!!!! ... typical smwho!! ... Once a CHEATER always a CHEATER

U mad bruh? Thanks for taking our worst in TX spot for footy. You'll be there for a while.

The fight Syracuse put up went well huh? 7 months later they get a re trial

Check this out for some points that a law grad found. We have pretty good basis for attack : http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79254

• Upvote 1

Congratulations on being the second to worst team in Texas, How's that new coach working out for ya?

Going great. I didn't expect to win more than 4 games in the first year so I'm not sadface like the more delusional haters over here.

"Haha SMUt, you guys are second to last lololol (don't mention how we are the last one though)"

We lost to two top 5 teams and an FCS that could shut out UNT. Who've you lost to?

Edited by malonish
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Going great. I didn't expect to win more than 4 games in the first year so I'm not sadface like the more delusional haters over here.

"Haha SMUt, you guys are second to last lololol (don't mention how we are the last one though)"

We lost to two top 5 teams and an FCS that could shut out UNT. Who've you lost to?

Ha! We are the last one... we suck this season. We suck worse then SMU because we lost to you all (proof is in the pudding).

Good luck trying to get three more wins this year,,, And have fun hanging around our forums and correcting UNT fans about a cheater basketball coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Wow man.   Usually so reserved and cordial over here...  What happened to you?

U mad bruh? Thanks for taking our worst in TX spot for footy. You'll be there for a while.

Check this out for some points that a law grad found. We have pretty good basis for attack : http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79254

i wish we really had footy here in america...love the sport...

i understand the man is your coach, but how do you stand behind a guy and support someone who knowingly lied to the ncaa and has a history of burning his schools?  he has been great for smu, but are ya really surprised something like this has happened under his watch?

• Upvote 2

Wow man.   Usually so reserved and cordial over here...  What happened to you?

Timeline:

-I came in to provide a ponyfan perspective

-LOL SMU CHEATER LOLOLOL (cougar king style post from your own guys)

-I now get to hit back

When have I ever started a fracas on the board?

Edited by malonish

i wish we really had footy here in america...love the sport...

i understand the man is your coach, but how do you stand behind a guy and support someone who knowingly lied to the ncaa and has a history of burning his schools?  he has been great for smu, but are ya really surprised something like this has happened under his watch?

In regards to the lie, at the presser post sanction announcement he clarified that he misspoke and corrected himself within 60 seconds. It was something along the lines of "Did you ever speak with KF about the online course" or something. They didn't like the omission  so they hammered him. They freely admit there is no evidence he called for the cheating himself but under the rules he is responsible. SMU has one of the most active and largest compliance departments in the country thanks to their history and will fight the assertion that there is not a culture of compliance in the program. That is how I can stand behind him. The SMU president who by all accounts hates(hyperbole) sport is even behind him.

Edited by malonish
  • Upvote 1

Timeline:

-I came in to provide a ponyfan perspective

-LOL SMU CHEATER LOLOLOL (cougar king style post from your own guys)

-I now get to hit back

When have I ever started a fracas on the board?

normally it's something like this:

-You come in to provide a ponyfan perspective.
-LOL SMU CHEATER LOLOLOL #CJK5H (Cougar King style posts from our own guys).
-You let it roll off and make some jokes (usually at SMU's expense).
-Everyone is happy.

normally it's something like this:
-You come in to provide a ponyfan perspective.
-LOL SMU CHEATER LOLOLOL #CJK5H (Cougar King style posts from our own guys).
-You let it roll off and make some jokes (usually at SMU's expense).
-Everyone is happy.

I recently received a head injury? :D (I really did though. It sucks.)

• Upvote 2

That's more like you.

PS. I hate that you got a head injury, but since you're a SMU fan:
ha%2Bha.gif

PPS.  Head injuries are not funny, and I apologize for making fun.  Get well soon.

Flag Football. Got under thrown on a go route and when I turned around and reached down for the ball I bounced the back of my head off the ground. :D

A whole lot of bad stuff regarding that and school getting F'ed up on Football and BBall makes me think I could potentially be in a coma. Or not lol. Just gotta deal with it.

Edited by malonish

There is a national media article calling for the complete shutdown of smoo athletics due to a history of repeated cheating.

Evidently smoo now hold the undisputed record of the most NCAA major infractions at 10, with an average of a sanction every 5.5 years. 

What's the feeling on Ponyfans?  Do they mostly agree or disagree with the writer?

There is a national media article calling for the complete shutdown of smoo athletics due to a history of repeated cheating.

Evidently smoo now hold the undisputed record of the most NCAA major infractions at 10, with an average of a sanction every 5.5 years. 

What's the feeling on Ponyfans?  Do they mostly agree or disagree with the writer?

Media figures that are going for click bait articles are assuming SMU Admins told Brown to tell someone to cheat as if it's the norm over here. The truth is there can be bad actors no matter how hard the compliance department works. In this case it was an assistant that I am assuming fell in some type of love with the student athlete and did his work for him as a favor. Even the NCAA report says Brown was not aware of her actions until after. The disagreements occur in discussing the facts after Brown heard about it. He gave the info to compliance to deal with it but NCAA says he should have done something more with the info he had. Also, his "lie" in the interview was an incomplete answer that he was able to complete 60 seconds later after talking with compliance. FWIW we deserve to lose scholarships and have Brown suspended for a while seeing as the rules state he is responsible for everyone in his employ.

Edited by malonish

In regards to the lie, at the presser post sanction announcement he clarified that he misspoke and corrected himself within 60 seconds. It was something along the lines of "Did you ever speak with KF about the online course" or something. They didn't like the omission  so they hammered him. They freely admit there is no evidence he called for the cheating himself but under the rules he is responsible. SMU has one of the most active and largest compliance departments in the country thanks to their history and will fight the assertion that there is not a culture of compliance in the program. That is how I can stand behind him. The SMU president who by all accounts hates(hyperbole) sport is even behind him.

makes sense..thanks...

another question, ive read the ponyfans board (it is fun), and it seems that the fans are saying that since the school fired the person responsible, then all should be good or at least drastically reduced....may I ask, what prevents a shady coach from employing someone to be shady with academics/recruiting/whatever to do what is needed, then have the boss feign ignorance and then fire the guy? Seems like a nice gig to be taken care of to take care of things....am I reaching? Possibly, but it makes sense to employ someone like this in order to have a fall guy...especially when the coach has been shown to screw up 2 previous schools with sanctions

• Upvote 1