New to UNT new to Forum

Gonegreen68

I have a freshman that just started at UNT. I had heard the coach speak on two occasions and I was impressed with what he had to say. My wife and I went all in and got seats on the club level. I have to say that I wish I had found this forum before we did. I quite frankly would have waited. There seams to be quite a bit of disfinction in the NT football program. We live in a small town with a football team of 23  boys with most of the stars playing both ways. From what I have seen UNT would not want to line up 23 and play our high school team. It would be embarrassing. I know what I paid, I know some paid more, some paid less. My question is do Mean Green Club members carry any sway as a group. I will be there supporting my new found team good or bad but I sure hope that things get better. 

Thanks

yes, email Pres Smastrek and voice your concerns, let him know what donation level you are and how excited you were about the season. We need to keep you around. 

• Upvote 2

I thought this was a refuge for higher thinking and logic? Sorry must be on the wrong forum! Seriously I hope things get better one way or another. Until then I will settle for the small victories and enjoy the good company (and food!) Thanks and we will see you at the game. 

what town are you from? If you don't mind my asking

23 High School kids would be in tears, broken, and in shambles attempting to play any Division 1 team. That might be one of the most outlandish statements I've ever read here. It's like the Bama fans who thought they could compete with a bad NFL team. 

It's backed by simple stats too. The NCAA told us when we were freshman about 1 out of 5,500 high school players would ever play 1 snap on a D1 field and 1 out of 100 of us would play in the NFL. The moral was get an education but it also displays the laughability of your statement. But don't get me wrong, it would be fun to watch the hits.

• Upvote 1

After the SMU game I asked my daughter, who has been on the sidelines since peewee ball what the team looked like. She said. "They don't protect the football." " They don't pass down field to help the running game." "He ran up the middle play after play and it was not working" and "The defense was on the field so much they got too gassed." 

I love that girl. 

keep her close once boys find out she knows that much about football they'll try to marry her on the spot, I'm taken or I'd look into it... Just kidding but damn that's impressive!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to NT. I have attended games since 1980. My son is a sophomore at North Texas and, because of our mutual love of the Mean Green, he never considered going to any other school. Whatever you think of the leadership in the program, just know that if you stick around long enough (after your kid graduates), Leadership will be gone...and your team will still be your team. This board is a great outlet for Mean Green fans. You will not 50 or so avid posters that really care. There are more than that that lurk, post occasionally. Amongst the 50, their are 5-10 glass half full guys, 5-10 glass empty guys and the rest that get pulled either way depending on how bad the loss was that week. Those that most hate the direction of the program are likely the loudest on the board. It is not as toxic here as reading this board would indicate.

NT has a relatively large number of fans that pay attention when the team starts to win....i.e., they flit in and out of the Mean Green universe every 5-10 years, wearing a NT shirt they bought in New Orleans in 2002. They don't know about this board and likely don't give money to the program but maybe to the school. And those that were here the whole time, I have to admit, smile when they see what this place (or the Cotton Bowl or the Superdome) can be like if we ever commit to football in a big way.

In the mean time, I am proud of the fact that we don't cheat (if we do, we are just as crappy at cheating as we are building a program). I love my game days here, with friends and alums and current students. I hate that my club seats go unused 360 days this year. 359 I could live with, but not 360. As for the club, I am fairly awkward around people I don't know, yell too loud when something good or bad happens and bought the club seats and the fees that accompanied it at opening to do my part to help fund the building of the stadium.

It will take you a while to fully understand the history of neglect and apathy that got us to where we are today. If we were winning, I would say we have turned a corner, based on facilities, a more concerted effort to get students involved earlier (perhaps Coach Mac's greatest attribute) and that the money, though still small compared to most Texas teams, invested in the program is increasing. Hopefully these positives will be reflected in a consistent winning program. I think the most discouraging thing to most of here is that we don't see the program going in the direction we want it given all we have to offer now. No coach, no administration has had as much to "sell" as this program has now.

We have a great place to play. Games should be played (by my team) more than five times per year, against teams we want to see. Period.

I hope to meet you at the game...and I hope this team gets into your blood, good or bad, in a way that has become a life long obsession for many of us on this board.

GMG

• Upvote 6

A south Dallas high school (maybe Oak Cliff, I think) had 20 seniors sign their LOI together on NSD last year or the year before. I can only imagine that wasn't the first time for that to EVER happen. 

I was not referring to your post.  I might like to have the IP address of the OP checked just to confirm that the GMG water is not being chummed.  

• Upvote 2

After the SMU game I asked my daughter, who has been on the sidelines since peewee ball what the team looked like. She said. "They don't protect the football." " They don't pass down field to help the running game." "He ran up the middle play after play and it was not working" and "The defense was on the field so much they got too gassed." 

I love that girl. 

does she have any connections to southern miss, iowa or a successful area high school football program?

what's her take on jimmy johns and/or grey goose?

does she have a national championship ring?  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This board is a great outlet for Mean Green fans. You will not 50 or so avid posters that really care. There are more than that that lurk, post occasionally.

Campbell, you and I have been on this board for about the same amount of time with just about the same number of posts. Just curious, are we lurkers? I think so. I have posted 1500 times in 13 years. UNT90 posted six times from the crapper this morning. Really, he PM'ed me.

Have fun Gonegreen, we suffer with a smile on our face. The Cubs don't have diddly squat on us. Plus these guys are really good with the gif pic.

Edited by GangGreen
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to UNT and sorry my BS meter just went off.

23 High School kids would be in tears, broken, and in shambles attempting to play any Division 1 team. That might be one of the most outlandish statements I've ever read here. It's like the Bama fans who thought they could compete with a bad NFL team. 

It's backed by simple stats too. The NCAA told us when we were freshman about 1 out of 5,500 high school players would ever play 1 snap on a D1 field and 1 out of 100 of us would play in the NFL. The moral was get an education but it also displays the laughability of your statement. But don't get me wrong, it would be fun to watch the hits.

UNTexas is correct. Period. We aren't in a good place, we may have been in a worse position before, however we have never been so bad that a High School team, especially one that has players who play both ways would be able to compete. It is a nice anecdote, it garners attention, but it isn't possible. 

Gone Green 68, Welcome to the site and UNT family. Besides that, enjoy the club level. It is very nice. Nicer than the club level at the Houston Texans stadium. The seats are great and there is a full bar which isn't pushing naked lady prices. Sometimes we even have something to cheer about.

I don't know if anyone on this board or in the alumni association have to ability to make their voice heard. I would say tell anyone who will listen. Perhaps your voice will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

UNTexas is correct. Period. We aren't in a good place, we may have been in a worse position before, however we have never been so bad that a High School team, especially one that has players who play both ways would be able to compete. It is a nice anecdote, it garners attention, but it isn't possible. 

Gone Green 68, Welcome to the site and UNT family. Besides that, enjoy the club level. It is very nice. Nicer than the club level at the Houston Texans stadium. The seats are great and there is a full bar which isn't pushing naked lady prices. Sometimes we even have something to cheer about.

I don't know if anyone on this board or in the alumni association have to ability to make their voice heard. I would say tell anyone who will listen. Perhaps your voice will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

Go Mean Green!

UNTexas and yourself not familiar with hyperbole?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2