New to UNT new to Forum

Gonegreen68

Welcome to the club level. Enjoy the cheesecake. It's delicious. Sway?  We're one level too low on the elevator, buddy.

Are the majority of the club level people on the same page? If I was up one floor I would be even more dissatisfied. Major boosters usually have major expectations.  

Cheese cake is pretty good though. 

• Upvote 2

Major boosters usually have major expectations.  

The major expectation our major boosters have is that they will, to a man, protect a 15 year AD that has consistently put a crap product on the field. 

That is more important than winning to them.

Dysfunction doesn't even begin to describe what happens at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Like I said I'm new and just getting a good read on this. I'm used to a world where if a coach shoots for anything less than a championship ring he is in trouble. A winning season can get you fired. Expectations are high because winning puts butts in the seats. Politics are obviously the root of all evil here. 

Stop saying things that make sense. It's dangerous.  

• Upvote 5

Stop saying things that make sense. It's dangerous.  

I thought this was a refuge for higher thinking and logic? Sorry must be on the wrong forum! Seriously I hope things get better one way or another. Until then I will settle for the small victories and enjoy the good company (and food!) Thanks and we will see you at the game. 

• Upvote 2

Like I said I'm new and just getting a good read on this. I'm used to a world where if a coach shoots for anything less than a championship ring he is in trouble. A winning season can get you fired. Expectations are high because winning puts butts in the seats. Politics are obviously the root of all evil here. 

It's pretty funny that a person so new to UNT has already caught on to running our athletic dept the right way over a 15 year AD who is sucking the life out of us, lol. Welcome to the board, you are going to see quite a show on this board, and you might need some therapy after this season.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 4

meanwhile, our coach gets a bonus for winning 6 games and going to a bowl, but no bonus for a conference championship. 

We shoot for mediocre, and rarely achieve it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First off welcome to the board.  Good to have you and your perspective here.

I would say there is a good representation of fans on here who purchased club seats.  By and large everyone I know who has them have enjoyed it.

We have some very loyal and passionate fans on here.  But we are honest about things and we do have expectations.  This is year 5 with Mac and we are sitting at 0-3.  Mac has had one winning season and three losing ones.  We don't expect a national championship here but we expect to be competing for conference championships every year.  That applies to football AND basketball. It's really that simple.

Mac's done some good things in his time here and student GPA's are at an all time high.  I believe he is a good man and is trying his best.  Still you need wins.  He will either be known as the coach that helped stabilize us after a terrible hire in Todd Dodge or be the guy that got us to the next level.  I think this season it a critical one.  GMG

It's pretty funny that a person so new to UNT has already caught on to running our athletic dept the right way over a 15 year AD who is sucking the life out of us, lol. Welcome to the board, you are going to see quite a show on this board, and you might need some therapy after this season.

You have to admit... It is not hard to catch on. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 3

I don't see this program as stabilized, Harry, unless you were talking solely about academics.

Our complete give up on recruiting this year will lead to a continued pattern of losing. That is not the type of "stabilized" that I think you had in mind.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After the SMU game I asked my daughter, who has been on the sidelines since peewee ball what the team looked like. She said. "They don't protect the football." " They don't pass down field to help the running game." "He ran up the middle play after play and it was not working" and "The defense was on the field so much they got too gassed." 

I love that girl. 

• Upvote 7

I don't see this program as stabilized, Harry, unless you were talking solely about academics.

Our complete give up on recruiting this year will lead to a continued pattern of losing. That is not the type of "stabilized" that I think you had in mind.

When I say stabilized I mean in comparison to his predecessor.  Do I need to break out my 10-year win loss graph again?  

That graph was terribly skewed by one year of moderate winning with someone else's recruits he told us we're the smallest, slowest players in FBS.

He knows. I've told him multiple times. We are not the least bit stabilized. Our program is way behind the 8 ball, our recruiting has jumped off the pool table and rolled out of the bar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have a freshman that just started at UNT. I had heard the coach speak on two occasions and I was impressed with what he had to say. My wife and I went all in and got seats on the club level. I have to say that I wish I had found this forum before we did. I quite frankly would have waited. There seams to be quite a bit of disfinction in the NT football program. We live in a small town with a football team of 23  boys with most of the stars playing both ways. From what I have seen UNT would not want to line up 23 and play our high school team. It would be embarrassing. I know what I paid, I know some paid more, some paid less. My question is do Mean Green Club members carry any sway as a group. I will be there supporting my new found team good or bad but I sure hope that things get better. 

Thanks

Welcome to UNT and sorry my BS meter just went off.

23 High School kids would be in tears, broken, and in shambles attempting to play any Division 1 team. That might be one of the most outlandish statements I've ever read here. It's like the Bama fans who thought they could compete with a bad NFL team. 

It's backed by simple stats too. The NCAA told us when we were freshman about 1 out of 5,500 high school players would ever play 1 snap on a D1 field and 1 out of 100 of us would play in the NFL. The moral was get an education but it also displays the laughability of your statement. But don't get me wrong, it would be fun to watch the hits.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 7

23 High School kids would be in tears, broken, and in shambles attempting to play any Division 1 team. That might be one of the most outlandish statements I've ever read here. It's like the Bama fans who thought they could compete with a bad NFL team. 

It's backed by simple stats too. The NCAA told us when we were freshman about 1 out of 5,500 high school players would ever play 1 snap on a D1 field and 1 out of 100 of us would play in the NFL. The moral was get an education but it also displays the laughability of your statement. But don't get me wrong, it would be fun to watch the hits.

That reminds me of the time when Dale Hansen--in all seriousness--asked Todd Dodge if Southlake Carroll would beat North Texas.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, but the gap between a really good high school program and a really bad college program is not nearly as big as the gap between a really good college program and a really bad pro team. 

Remember, there are high schools that have senior classes that produce 10-15 and even before 20 D1 athletes in one senior class. College teams have had the same number of future NFL players, but in this scenario the really good high school program would be playing the really bad college program with 0 NFL prospects. 

I still, for the most part, agree with you. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
Add
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1