MGB: Mike Thomas will not play for UNT this year

Brett Vito

I never said that it did. I didn't say "big picture" and then define that as something less than the big picture. If we are truly looking at the big picture, then all sports should be considered. I actually sit somewhere in the middle on the whole fire RV discussion, but when we talk about the overall health of the Athletics Department and then only look at the big three, I get a little annoyed. If you want to make the argument that we should focus on the big three as the only view of success, then do that. But don't call it big picture.

the big three support ALL the others. Without a healthy big 3, all the others will eventually fail. 

I brought up the soccer ladies in particular to refute UNT90's statement that JJ's b-ball teams were "the only proud sport at this University".   

Do you agree that the soccer ladies have a proud tradition of winning?  Or, are you along for 90's winding road journeys?

how many North Texas women's soccer shirts hats do you own?

jeez man, please, for the love of God, get some standards.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I have tons of Mean Green gear.   The only "football-related" one is the Safeway Bowl shirt OakSt sold last year.  I also own one of those cheap Tony Mitchell jersey-shirts.   Those are the only 2 pieces of gear that would be specific to any one sport.  I have however, seen people out & about with "Mean Green Soccer" shirts on, and they looked a little too manly to be a player.  I don't really know what this has to do with anything.

Let me try and break this down for you:

1. You attempted to say that JJ's basketball teams were once "the only proud sport of this University".

2. I called you on that and provided you with what IS one of "the only proud sport of this University."

3. Rather than say, "Hey, you're right!  The soccer ladies are great, and I really meant just out of the 3 revenue sports." which would have been perfectly fine... you bust out the flame thrower and scorch the entire Athletic department (as usual), including student-athletes/coaches/staff who are consistently winning despite what happens on the basketball court or gridiron.

Your hatred for Rick Villareal is well-documented, and there are definitely some qualms that are just.   But I think your burning, insatiable desire to tear down anything Rick is associated with is starting to burn too many innocent bystanders.

P.S.  As long as there are paycheck games where the budget gets balanced, the others WILL NOT eventually fail!   ... because, they would have already by now.

whorin is your answer? 

Lazy. 

I don't know Rick Villerreal. I certainly don't hate him. I just think he is a bad athletic director that doesn't deserve to hold the position anymore. The evidence is bountiful at this point. 

Im flattered that you feel the need to break down my post. Just maybe the bigger picture I was talking about was who recruited a risky Juco, and who hired the person who recruited that risky Juco. 

But, yea soccer?

Just curious, how many women's soccer games have you attended?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

whorin is your answer? 

Lazy. 

m3nkx.jpg

I KNEW you wouldn't say anything about the first 95% of that post, but that you would comment on the last part...      

It's like watching someone who struggles with an addiction continue to go down that road.  You can see them getting worse.  You know what their end will be, but there's not a thing you can do to stop them.  They'll hear/see what they want to hear/see.  It's just sad homie.

In a few years, when Rick gets another contract extension, I assume we'll see your picture in the obituary.  All of us here on gmg.com will pour out some liquor for you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

m3nkx.jpg

I KNEW you wouldn't say anything about the first 95% of that post, but that you would comment on the last part...      

It's like watching someone who struggles with an addiction continue to go down that road.  You can see them getting worse.  You know what their end will be, but there's not a thing you can do to stop them.  They'll hear/see what they want to hear/see.  It's just sad homie.

In a few years, when Rick gets another contract extension, I assume we'll see your picture in the obituary.  All of us here on gmg.com will pour out some liquor for you.

slow down there, Internet warrior. Sometimes I post in parts because I'm a busy guy. Read above.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

slow down there, Internet warrior. Sometimes I post in parts because I'm a busy guy. Read above.

21k+ posts... I'd say you're pretty busy!

I think you may have me confused with ForeverEagle... you and he were talking about "big picture" stuff.  I was never talking about that.

To answer yet another of your questions to try and derail the point I'm certainly NOT making on you:  Would you believe I've been to more soccer games than mens basketball games?   (buoyed mainly from my time on campus, but still...  I've been to the new soccer complex a few times)  Great stuff.

I keep answering your questions.  Please answer mine:

Does the women's soccer team deserve to be called "The proud sport of this University"?  ...Since Johnny's squads can no longer carry the mantle.   Or, are they disqualified due to the fact that it's women's soccer, or would any team qualify for that moniker as long as RV is here?

• Upvote 4

21k+ posts... I'd say you're pretty busy!

I think you may have me confused with ForeverEagle... you and he were talking about "big picture" stuff.  I was never talking about that.

To answer yet another of your questions to try and derail the point I'm certainly NOT making on you:  Would you believe I've been to more soccer games than mens basketball games?   (buoyed mainly from my time on campus, but still...  I've been to the new soccer complex a few times)  Great stuff.

I keep answering your questions.  Please answer mine:

Does the women's soccer team deserve to be called "The proud sport of this University"?  ...Since Johnny's squads can no longer carry the mantle.   Or, are they disqualified due to the fact that it's women's soccer, or would any team qualify for that moniker as long as RV is here?

such hate from you. 

Has anyone seen Texan and RV in the same room? 

Three (really, only 2) sports matter to the overwhelming number of alumni at UNT. You don't have to like it, but that's simply the way it is. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

I never said that it did. I didn't say "big picture" and then define that as something less than the big picture. If we are truly looking at the big picture, then all sports should be considered. I actually sit somewhere in the middle on the whole fire RV discussion, but when we talk about the overall health of the Athletics Department and then only look at the big three, I get a little annoyed. If you want to make the argument that we should focus on the big three as the only view of success, then do that. But don't call it big picture.

I quoted an entire post from you and you said "part of the picture". You most certainly did say it, I didn't just grab a quote box and type shit into it.

The overall health of the AD should never be judged on the winning of a single minor sport. It should be heavily weighted towards the sports most people care about and/or the ones that bring in the most revenue. 

Jeremy Foley at Florida might be the single most successful AD in the country. Teams under his watch have won over 20 NCAA titles, at least four in football and MBB. He's managed to upgrade facilities and have multiple sports for both genders compete at their expected/desired level every year. When football was down with Muschamp and he brought him back for another (failed) season he caught heat, but his defenders could point to the titles to show his way is right more than its wrong. 

I brought up the soccer ladies in particular to refute UNT90's statement that JJ's b-ball teams were "the only proud sport at this University".   

Do you agree that the soccer ladies have a proud tradition of winning?  Or, are you along for 90's winding road journeys?

I'll happily agree they have a proud tradition of winning. I would also argue that women's soccer should never be the flagship program at any school. Are you saying that women's soccer is how North Texas athletics should make its mark?

You had it right when you said 90 could/should have have just said 'my bad'. You clearly disagree with him and seem to think Rick is doing an ok job. Hard to argue with that when we've already found out you're one of the few RV saves from a burning GMG...

• Downvote 2

This may end up sounding more political than a hot sports opinion. First thing, get off MGT jock. He is you, you are him. The walrus, blah blah blah. Our whatever teams winning anything may be crap to you guys, but it is the only thing we can hang NT hat on for the moment.

Do we suck at the big 3? You betcha.

The thing a hate the most about we think today, is "This dude's a liberal. This dude's a conservative. This dude's an RV apologist. This dude's not"

Quit drawing lines in the sand. I live 300 miles away, drove up to see our crap last week, watch our games bball games online. Believe me, we agree. This sucks. And it sucks. And it sucks.

But, please, stop calling out those that care. You are the anti-Kram. Y'all must have been split at birth.

It pretty much boils down to the watercooler. You, like the rest of us, hate the fact that we can't we can't brag to our friends and co-workers about the exploits of the great NT. We get it and, further, we live it.

But, what you do (I'm saying this, because hopefully it will hit home), by putting us all in either the "hate RV" or "RV apologist" box is a tactic of Nazis and Cult leaders.

I guess we again have to thank the great Jimmy Jones sandwich shop. 

• Upvote 2

such hate from you. 

Has anyone seen Texan and RV in the same room? 

Three (really, only 2) sports matter to the overwhelming number of alumni at UNT. You don't have to like it, but that's simply the way it is. 

Flame-thrower-e1424372415359.jpg

I'll happily agree they have a proud tradition of winning. I would also argue that women's soccer should never be the flagship program at any school. Are you saying that women's soccer is how North Texas athletics should make its mark?

You had it right when you said 90 could/should have have just said 'my bad'. You clearly disagree with him and seem to think Rick is doing an ok job. Hard to argue with that when we've already found out you're one of the few RV saves from a burning GMG...

Absolutely not.   But I'm not going to burn down one of the only winning programs at North Texas only because I disagree with what the Athletic Director is doing with unrelated sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

200w.gif

Who's (for you, Ryan) burning anything down? 

Flame-thrower-e1424372415359.jpg

Absolutely not.   But I'm not going to burn down one of the only winning programs at North Texas only because I disagree with what the Athletic Director is doing with unrelated sports.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

What should be discussed is who do we bring in to fill his scholarship? 

A little late to be filling out the roster for the 2015-2016 season, don't you think?  The soonest we could possibly hope for, since school has started already for Fall 2015, is someone to join for Spring 2016.  Given that we have a LOI for Thomas and we are obligated to provide him a scholarship if he should academically qualify for 2016-2017, whoever we find would possibly only be with the team for a single semester unless we're fine using a scholarship that would be freed up by one of the graduating seniors (or some other player leaving the program for whatever reason).

A little late to be filling out the roster for the 2015-2016 season, don't you think?  The soonest we could possibly hope for, since school has started already for Fall 2015, is someone to join for Spring 2016.  Given that we have a LOI for Thomas and we are obligated to provide him a scholarship if he should academically qualify for 2016-2017, whoever we find would possibly only be with the team for a single semester unless we're fine using a scholarship that would be freed up by one of the graduating seniors (or some other player leaving the program for whatever reason).

it's possible to find a player who has a single year of eligibility and can come in for conference play. They can also agree to walk on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's possible to find a player who has a single year of eligibility and can come in for conference play. They can also agree to walk on.

It's possible but I'd say it is highly unlikely.  I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard of a transfer/signing taking place this close to the start of the season.