Checking in

Harry

Haven't we learned to stay away from names ending with "-nulty"??

Anywho, I'm still pumped for the basketball season. As of right now, we're undefeated in 2015-16. Made it to 9 of the 17 home games and not many other students can say that. But I actually plan on making more this year, especially since I have an apartment and won't be back home for all of Christmas Break.

I kinda sorta had a good feeling about our roster (or was at least intrigued by our spattering of new players) but then news broke about Aniefiok leaving.  Hearing now that Mike Thomas won't be available until the semester break is just one more bit of attrition to overcome.  I don't know--could still be .500 or so, which I suppose is better than what football is serving up these days, but that's not exactly going to pack the Pit either.   

• Upvote 1

I kinda sorta had a good feeling about our roster (or was at least intrigued by our spattering of new players) but then news broke about Aniefiok leaving.  Hearing now that Mike Thomas won't be available until the semester break is just one more bit of attrition to overcome.  I don't know--could still be .500 or so, which I suppose is better than what football is serving up these days, but that's not exactly going to pack the Pit either.   

Thanks for the update on Thomas -- I have been so football focused I must have missed that.  At least we have him for the majority of conference play.

I too am somewhat intrigued by all of the new players especially the two Brown kids and the big 7-1 Brice.  I expect that once we get close to the games we will see more interest.  Even if you are unhappy with Benford, it is still our team and players so it is ok to talk about them in my mind.

I honestly don't remember what year it was the last time I went to a basketball game.  I asked my daughter, and we think we went in 2013, but neither one of us is sure.

Edit:  No.  It had to have been late 2013/early 2014 because we played a home conference game against UAB.  

Also, vendors in the concourse were trying to get my daughter to sign up for apartment leases and sign contracts to donate plasma.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the update on Thomas -- I have been so football focused I must have missed that.  At least we have him for the majority of conference play.

I too am somewhat intrigued by all of the new players especially the two Brown kids and the big 7-1 Brice.  I expect that once we get close to the games we will see more interest.  Even if you are unhappy with Benford, it is still our team and players so it is ok to talk about them in my mind.

This team is a giant question mark.  With only 1 of out top 5 scorers and regular starters returning, it's very difficult to determine where our offense will come from.  This is a pretty young team where about half the roster will see its first year with the program.

• Freshman - 5
  • Sophomore - 3
  • Junior - 4
  • Senior - 2
  • Graduate Student - 1

Returning Players (7)

• Chris Cambell - extremely limited minutes (16), only played in 7 games and scored no points.
  • Jeremy Combs - Started 26 games, is the only top scorer and regular starter returning to the team. Averaged 10.0 points per game last season.
  • Todd Eaglin - Played in 28 games but only logged 383 minutes; had a very limited roll as a Junior and scored 53 points averaging 1.9 points per game.
  • Jacob Gross - extremely limited minutes (9), only played in 8 games and scored 3 points.
  • DeAndre Harris - Played in 27 games and started 4 games. Had two suspensions during the 2014-2015 season. Scored 186 points and averaged 6.9 points per game last season.
  • Carrington Ward - extremely limited minutes (30); played in 4 games and started in 1 game and scored 5 points.
  • Greg White-Pittman - Played in 17 games and started in 5 games; Played in limited minutes (154). Scored 40 points for last season averaging 2.4 points per game.

New Players (8)

• Rickey Brice Jr. - Freshman
  • Ja'Michael Brown - Freshman
  • DJ Draper - Freshman
  • Khalil Fuller - Freshman
  • Allante Holston - Freshman
  • Deckie Johnson - Junior Transfer
  • Eric Katenda - Graduate Student Transfer
  • J-Mychal Reese - Junior Transfer
Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

why do you keep leaving out Thompson, but you added Gross, Cambell, and Draper who are all walk-ins. I think Thompson will get some minutes this year. Especially above any other walk on. We need post play with the man who was going to be our starting center out. 

Maybe because Thompson isn't on the Roster???

• Upvote 2

I bet Rob Evans will be the interim coach of this thing sometime after the calendar hits 2016...probably when that elusive, contract-extension earning prize of .500 is officially unattainable.

Rob Evans will use that time as his "interview". I don't doubt for a minute that RV would hire him as Benford's  replacement if it comes down to it.

I bet Rob Evans will be the interim coach of this thing sometime after the calendar hits 2016...probably when that elusive, contract-extension earning prize of .500 is officially unattainable.

Rob Evans will use that time as his "interview". I don't doubt for a minute that RV would hire him as Benford's  replacement if it comes down to it.

Highly doubtful.

Evans is only here because he's Benford's "mentor".   If Benford is canned, he's leaving too.

Evans might be an interim guy, but I don't think he's looking to stay long term in you scenario. I just don't think that scenario comes to pass at all.

Highly doubtful.
Evans is only here because he's Benford's "mentor".   If Benford is canned, he's leaving too.

it's doubtful, for that and I don't think Benford is canned until after the season is over. That would negate the need for Evans to be an interim guy. I think we have Benford for the whole season unless he's well under 10 total wins deep I to the conference season.