One overlooked positive — UNT’s defense looked pretty good

Harry

Since UNT fell to SMU 31-13 on Saturday we have beaten the dead horse that is what ails the Mean Green’s offense and then beaten it some more.

What we haven’t talked a whole lot about is the performance of UNT’s defense that was one of the bright spots of what transpired down at Ford Stadium.

No one is in much of a mood to talk about what went well, but it is worth noting that the Mean Green showed some signs of potential on that side of the ball.

UNT held SMU to three points on three trips inside the 5-yard line, posted a goal-line stand and generally looked pretty solid before collapsing late. SMU quarterback Matt Davis, who is as good as advertised, threw a late touchdown pass and broke free on two touchdown runs, including a 50- yard back-breaker.

There were a number of positive moments for UNT …

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/09/one-overlooked-positive-unts-defense-looked-pretty-good.html/

Our defense is the highlight so far. It makes me sick to see them gassed late in the game (same old crap from last year) because the offense can't move the chains and give them a break. I do not expect much from the offense but it would be helpful for them to chalk up a first down or two before they punt or otherwise turn the ball over. Our defense can carry this team on their backs but are only human and only so deep.

GO D !!

• Upvote 2

I still enjoy the thought of SMU having a 1st and goal from the 2 and we stopped them. A bright light in what turned out to be a difficult night.  I engage in selective thinking and I choose to remember that series because I liked it.  Reminded me of the Rice game, 2 years ago when we held them out of the end zone in 8 straight plays. We must take our pleasure where we can get it, in a mostly unpleasant world. There will be those that complain about any positive quote, but that does not diminish one good series.

Edited by madmaxx7
  • Upvote 4

I was very impressed with the D. Last year, the D would collapse early in the second quarter while the offense wasn't scoring. Saturday they lasted into the 4th quarter.

What I don't understand is how we're going to run a hurry-up offense only to run the ball another 1 or 2 yards and force another difficult 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 for an inadequate passing game. Don't teams generally run the ball to take time off? I'm cool with being a run-oriented team, but we aren't even a good running team.

• Upvote 1

This is garbage, Harry. No one cares about our D when we aren't winning. Our D will break every single game bc of our pitiful offense. 

Still. The Offense has to improve - because they cant be much worse than they were Saturday. With this Defense - if the Offense can get even a little bit better.... Aw geez. I cant even type that crap about the Offense getting better without feeling sick in the pit of my gut. That was just pitiful. 

• Upvote 1

Still. The Offense has to improve - because they cant be much worse than they were Saturday. With this Defense - if the Offense can get even a little bit better.... Aw geez. I cant even type that crap about the Offense getting better without feeling sick in the pit of my gut. That was just pitiful. 

Yeah the offense can be lots worse, we could have no ability to move the ball sprinkled with plenty of pick 6s

Edited by KingDL1

I swore I saw #93 Julius Combs and and #94 Mustafa Haboul rotating in and getting a good push up the middle, but neither show up on the participation report?

Rick

Those participation reports are notoriously wrong -- so i wouldn't put too much stock in them especially when we are on the road.

I was very impressed with the D. Last year, the D would collapse early in the second quarter while the offense wasn't scoring. Saturday they lasted into the 4th quarter.

What I don't understand is how we're going to run a hurry-up offense only to run the ball another 1 or 2 yards and force another difficult 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 for an inadequate passing game. Don't teams generally run the ball to take time off? I'm cool with being a run-oriented team, but we aren't even a good running team.

Our defense was great against Texas last year too. We held  David Ash led UT to 353 yards despite gaining only 94 ourselves. We held them to 4-15 on 3rd downs. We forced 2 turnovers, one for a TD. Our defense was good early last year but our putrid offense eventually breaks their spirit and they get overrun. I don't blame them.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Our defense was great against Texas last year too. We held UT to 353 yards despite gaining only 94 ourselves. We held them to 4-15 on 3rd downs. We forced 2 turnovers, one for a TD. Our defense was good early last year but our putrid offense eventually breaks their spirit and they get overrun. I don't blame them.

You're right. It was that three-game road trip that really was the downfall.

Defense balled.  Sad part is, it will be our downfall.  The fact that they kept it close allows more chances for us to keep rolling out the same offensive personel and play calling.  

We really need to get blown out in the first half to force a change.  I think our defense is good enough to not let teams runaway with it.  As long as there is a shot, mac won't make a change.

If this game is close, mac will say we hung in there with one of the best teams in cusa, bowl team, play UT well, had winning seasons, etc...

Defense balled.  Sad part is, it will be our downfall.  The fact that they kept it close allows more chances for us to keep rolling out the same offensive personel and play calling.  

We really need to get blown out in the first half to force a change.  I think our defense is good enough to not let teams runaway with it.  As long as there is a shot, mac won't make a change.

If this game is close, mac will say we hung in there with one of the best teams in cusa, bowl team, play UT well, had winning seasons, etc...

Great and depressing point but I'll one up ya. The Special Teams is also very good, which will further keep it close.

You're probably right. Be enough to have RV call him and make something happen.