How bad do you want it?

emmitt01

I assume you chose the Bahamas Bowl as a destination we couldn't attend personally.  That makes it slightly tougher...

Even still, I'd go with the 1-pt loss and a Bowl game.   Then we can justify that the loss was "first-game-jitters".  Assuming Portland St is a win, it means we either won 6 of our conference games, or we beat Iowa, to get to 7-5.

• Upvote 2

If you had a choice between blowing out SMU 60-13 and the team going on to just miss out on a bowl at 6-6...or losing by 1 to SMU and the team going to the Bahamas Bowl (or another far off bowl) at 7-5...which would you choose?

Beat SMU, mostly because you specified that it would be a far away bowl that I couldn't attend.  Especially if we had a 7-5 record.  If it were 8-4 or better and/or a geographically close bowl, I'd say bowl game.  I really think a loss to SMU would reinforce the belief that 2013 was a fluke, even if we went on to (barely) qualify for a bowl game.

I assume you chose the Bahamas Bowl as a destination we couldn't attend personally.  That makes it slightly tougher...

Even still, I'd go with the 1-pt loss and a Bowl game.   Then we can justify that the loss was "first-game-jitters".  Assuming Portland St is a win, it means we either won 6 of our conference games, or we beat Iowa, to get to 7-5.

That's a good point.  Winning six conference games or beating Iowa would be great for reputation.  Way to think it all the way through!

But our problem is the fanbase, in my opinion. That's first. I don't think our recruiting or schedules will improve until the fanbase comes around. SMU is better for the fans.

I just don't think winning the Bahamas Bowl will help attendance or donations.

It's much better and easier to sell a winning season and a bowl appearance/win than a .500 season, no bowl but hey we beat a crappy a SMU team. 

It's not even close what the better option to me.

• Upvote 3

What would have a bigger impact on our recruiting in the DFW area? I would think beating SMU but going to a bowl game would be a bigger hit with our overall recruiting.

If I had it my way I say both but I would go with a 1 point loss to SMU and go to a bowl game. What would make it better would be if SMU beat us by one point and then only won 1-3 games total all year and we went on to go to the bowl game. That would be great.

But our problem is the fanbase, in my opinion. That's first. I don't think our recruiting or schedules will improve until the fanbase comes around. SMU is better for the fans.

I disagree with you.  Plus, SMU sucks and is negligible in the grand scheme of UNT success, IMO. 

• Upvote 2

I 100% disagree with you. Winning bowl games and even going to bowl games will draw more interest and Mean Green Club members. People want winners and in order to go to a bowl game you have to win 6+ games. Its no 10 win season but 6 wins is a great season for UNT.

As Far as Fans go...Are you serious? Their fans are awful and could be the most clueless people on planet earth

20150904194551.0.0.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Make SMU implode. That was one thing that I highlighted as the bright side of last season,... Beating the SMUts. You cannot tell me that a Bahamas Bowl would put the same satisfaction in us, over seeing UNT run up the score and watch their fans leave the stadium in disappointment during the game.

Chad Morris said it best.  "They are our rivals from just up the road.  We were embarrassed up there last year." 

Beat Southern Meth.  Everything else is just gravy.

GO MEAN GREEN

All day. Everyday.

• Upvote 1

Make SMU implode. That was one thing that I highlighted as the bright side of last season,... Beating the SMUts. You cannot tell me that a Bahamas Bowl would put the same satisfaction in us, over seeing UNT run up the score and watch their fans leave the stadium in disappointment during the game.

A Bahamas Bowl would put the same satisfaction in me, over seeing UNT run up the score and watch their fans leave the stadium in disappointment during the game (but no bowl game).