Texas State Gets 2 for 1 With Baylor

DeepGreen

I hate coming across as an RV apologist.  I just feel like people are having a hard time with the math. We can schedule 2-1.  They just don't make sense on many levels.  We need to schedule 1-1 only and that comes with a financial guarantee.  That is money we don't have.  Instead of crying for 2-1's we should be crying about big donors and RV's failure to bring them in.  Money cures most of our ills.  

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

We aren't crying about 2-1, 1-1, etc. We are crying about Lamar, Portland, ACU, etc. and of course 2-0's (Iowa). 

Look, I like the Army and the Smut series. I think both games will eventually be appealing to the casual fan that of course we uphold our end of the competitive end. I don't like the annual slaying on the road and this year x 2. Meanwhile every team in our conference is managing to bring a P5 to their stadium. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think by now everyone can see I am not an RV apologist.  However the 2-1 deals I want no part of.  They are what lead to 5 home game seasons.  The fault I find is that we have to schedule 1 and dones with the big programs.  If we could just get MGC and season ticket numbers up we wouldn't HAVE to schedule these games.

I would much rather have a one and one with Kansas St or even Indiana than  a 2-1 with Baylor, we just can't afford to do that now, we HAVE to have that money.  

this guy gets it^

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think by now everyone can see I am not an RV apologist.  However the 2-1 deals I want no part of.  They are what lead to 5 home game seasons.  The fault I find is that we have to schedule 1 and dones with the big programs.  If we could just get MGC and season ticket numbers up we wouldn't HAVE to schedule these games.

I would much rather have a one and one with Kansas St or even Indiana than  a 2-1 with Baylor, we just can't afford to do that now, we HAVE to have that money.  

Exactly!!!!  I would not mind one FCS home game if we could continue with 1-1's with decent, attractive FBS schools and anually have,6 or 7 home games.  No more 5 game home schedules with one of those being a no name.

Yes, we have to have that money. There is a reason for that and that reason is a person. That person is Rick Villarreal. Rick Villarreal is not adequately doing his job. Therefore we continue to get pimped out to games we don't win. Those games beat our teams physce to the ground and causes more losing. Losing shys the casual fan, Denton, our own alum and students away from wanting to be a part of the program even in the slightest way. There is no initiative or plan in place to stop or even slow down this cycle except to keep slappin high heels on our boys and telling them to hike their skirt up and to show a little cleavage. Little to no marketing, fundraising, scheduling, etc. etc. etc. 

President Smastrek has to play his hand. He has to relieve Rick Villarreal of his duties and find a suitable replacement that has extensive experience in fundraising and marketing. I'm tired of watching this athletic program be ran like a Little Ceasars. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Interesting points. 

Especially coming from an apologist. 

• Upvote 1

Just get bowl eligible then win 1 more so we can go to a bowl game if that extra win is Portland State, or Lamar I don't care just get to a bowl game.  If we bring these big name programs into our house it's a loss so is the whore game.  So now look, already 0-2 if you play Portland then a whore game you atleast are 1-1 and that means 5 more wins till bowl eligibility.

Why do you want to get curb stomped by some big time program at home???  So you can have a 1 game spike of attendance with tee-shirt fans of so mentioned big time program?  Is it so we sell more hot dogs and beer?  Do you actually think bringing a big named team in here is going to create more fans?  Honestly I'm going to have to defend my team (UNT) more after the a$$ woopin we are going to take in front of my friends at home?  Give me a whore game away to pay the bills and a winnable game at home every year.  Take that loss and $ then get that win and only have to win 5 more games.

I don't know if the SEC pays more but let's pick a cheaper whore plz.  Let's start traveling west rather than East.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just get bowl eligible then win 1 more so we can go to a bowl game if that extra win is Portland State, or Lamar I don't care just get to a bowl game.  If we bring these big name programs into our house it's a loss so is the whore game.  So now look, already 0-2 if you play Portland then a whore game you atleast are 1-1 and that means 5 more wins till bowl eligibility.

Why do you want to get curb stomped by some big time program at home???  So you can have a 1 game spike of attendance with tee-shirt fans of so mentioned big time program?  Is it so we sell more hot dogs and beer?  Do you actually think bringing a big named team in here is going to create more fans?  Honestly I'm going to have to defend my team (UNT) more after the a$$ woopin we are going to take in front of my friends at home?  Give me a whore game away to pay the bills and a winnable game at home every year.  Take that loss and $ then get that win and only have to win 5 more games.

I don't know if the SEC pays more but let's pick a cheaper whore plz.  Let's start traveling west rather than East.

We are the whore. The perennial powerhouses we play on the road are our macdaddies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do you want to get curb stomped by some big time program at home???  So you can have a 1 game spike of attendance with tee-shirt fans of so mentioned big time program?  Is it so we sell more hot dogs and beer?  Do you actually think bringing a big named team in here is going to create more fans?  

We don't. We don't want to bring in Alabama, or current Baylor, or OU. We want name opponents at home that we can beat, like Kentucky, Colorado, Kansas, Duke, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Oregon State. That's the frustration. We should be scheduling schools that play in big conferences who have no ties to Texas or recruiting opportunities with the HS kids here. The prevailing thinking is that given that we are located in he biggest hotbed of HS football talent in the world, BIG10, PAC12, lower SEC schools, ACC schools would all jump at the chance to come play us at Apogee and get a chance to recruit some Texas kids.

• Upvote 2

I hate coming across as an RV apologist.  I just feel like people are having a hard time with the math. We can schedule 2-1.  They just don't make sense on many levels.  We need to schedule 1-1 only and that comes with a financial guarantee.  That is money we don't have.  Instead of crying for 2-1's we should be crying about big donors and RV's failure to bring them in.  Money cures most of our ills.  

I could see agreeing with you if it wasn't for the fact that we have had 5 game home schedules 2 of the last 4 years WITHOUT any 2 for 1s. 

These other schools realize that to be taken seriously by their own alumni, they need to play known P5 schools at home.

We are the only AD in our conference that can't get this through our thick, 1990s clinging skulls. 

Abd the BOR only cares about a balanced budget, so...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yeah you're right, but I'll reiterate what TheWestie said. A lot of us are tired of these FCS games at home. We want to play lower P5's at home and are tired of hearing the excuses come from our AD's mouth. Heck, I'll be happy if we could get a well known G5 in our stadium. Get us Boise St, NIU, or even TX State would be an improvement. The FCS games just have to stop. Yes it's a free win, but I honestly think these games do nothing for this program and hurt our efforts to bring up attendance. Plus, out scheduling looks absolutely lazy. This season's schedule is probably the perfect example of RV's laziness.... We have Portland St., 2 body bag games, and a 1st week bye.....

• Upvote 2

I hope all the posters complaining about a 5 game home schedule, and Portland State, and Lamar, and no 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 are buying season tickets.  The issue is that we need paycheck game to finance the program.  Games we wouldn't need if more fans, and we've got the fans, bought season tickets instead of buying at the gate per game or coming on this board and begging for free tickets.  This is a big program and there are too many people looking around expecting somebody else, that "big donor" to do the heavy lifting. 

Buy season tickets and join the Mean Green Club.  The problems won't be corrected over time.  In fact, it will take a while even if every one here bought season tickets today.  But we've got to start acting like a big program.

You.  And me.  We're the only people here.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I hope all the posters complaining about a 5 game home schedule, and Portland State, and Lamar, and no 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 are buying season tickets.  The issue is that we need paycheck game to finance the program.  Games we wouldn't need if more fans, and we've got the fans, bought season tickets instead of buying at the gate per game or coming on this board and begging for free tickets.  This is a big program and there are too many people looking around expecting somebody else, that "big donor" to do the heavy lifting. 

Buy season tickets and join the Mean Green Club.  The problems won't be corrected over time.  In fact, it will take a while even if every one here bought season tickets today.  But we've got to start acting like a big program.

GO MEAN GREEN

Not just season tickets but we just need people to consistently show up.  The stadium needs to be something like 80 - 90% full for all games to provide the needed income.

• Upvote 1

Not just season tickets but we just need people to consistently show up.  The stadium needs to be something like 80 - 90% full for all games to provide the needed income.

There is absolutely no reason as to why we can't draw 25K a game. It doesn't matter if we're playing FIU, FAU, Maine, Portland St, etc. The atmosphere at Apogee should be a premiere G5 atmosphere in the country given the dynamics of the university. Massive student body, massive local alum base, great geographical location and a program that has gone 13-12 over the last 2 years. I'm in the group that truly believes that a solid game day atmosphere in the stadium can will a team to victory. We have to start doing our part and go to games, all of them. The Smut game has to be dominated in the stands and on the field and we have to show up vs Rice regardless of kickoff time. There is a legitimate shot to start 2-0 and that 2-0 could very well thrust the team into a positive mindset and a winning season. 

• Upvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

Agreed. I understand UNT90's stance as well.

Pulling in only 21k for Indiana really hurt us when it comes to confidence scheduling future low level P5's.  If you can't pay for these games with increased attendance how do you pay for them?  If RV is to be let go it's because of the lack of donations and season ticket holders. 

• Upvote 2

GO MEAN GREEN

I understand your sentiment, but the schedule is already set for, what, 5 years? You are asking people to commit to supporting an AD that's been here 14 years, has already set the schedule until next decade, and has overseen the destruction of a rising basketball program. Not to mention the number of lies/misinformation put out by that office and their apparent lackadaisical attitudes toward promotion of the games and growing booster support.

Thats a very tall order, and judging by the MGC numbers, an order nearly all of the alumni are unwilling to fill.

• Upvote 2

The fact of the matter is that we need the paycheck game. There's nothing we can do about that.

The problem is the Army series. We can control that. If RV didn't lock us in with Army until 2021, we'd have the freedom to schedule 1-1s.

Until at least 2022 we won't see a OOC FBS team other than SMU and Army, I don't think any other school in the country has a schedule like this.

The Army series is dumb, it should have only been a 1-1.

Pulling in only 21k for Indiana really hurt us when it comes to confidence scheduling future low level P5's.  If you can't pay for these games with increased attendance how do you pay for them?  If RV is to be let go it's because of the lack of donations and season ticket holders. 

There's nothing to pay for if it's a 1-1 and if our AD has a clue.

• Upvote 4