NFL Roster Cut Tracker

meangreen15

Antonio Rico Johnson, a seven-year veteran defensive tackle, played college football at Mississippi State, and was released by the Patriots last Thursday. Although some reports have suggested that the Saints will be parting ways with our Antonio Johnson, I have yet to see that confirmed anywhere. In fact, according to The Times-Picayune's website, "The Saints have submitted their moves to the league office, but they likely won't be revealed until the transactions are posted at about 4 p.m." It's already half past four. Let's keep our fingers crossed for both our guys until the news becomes official.

• Upvote 1

I just found this:

11 a.m. -- The Saints will terminate the contract of fullback Erik Lorig and waive reserve offensive lineman Antonio Johnson, league sources told NOLA.com. Projected Saints roster count: 87

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/09/new_orleans_saints_roster_cuts.html

Edited by Harry

On the Akunne front, looks like he was back at practice yesterday...

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/safety-william-moore-back-at-practice/nnTxL/

Also, linebacker Derek Akunne (foot) was back at practice while running back Antone Smith (hamstring) participated in portions of practice for the first time since suffering his injury in the exhibition season opener against Tennessee on Aug. 14.

Thursday's game against Zach Orr and the Ravens will be big for Akunne.  Hopefully, his health cooperates.

• Upvote 1

From the NFL Roster Cuts Tracker on nfl.com:

New Orleans Saints Cuts: Wr Nick Toon, CB Terrence Frederick, WR R.J. Harris, DT David Hunter, OT Antonio Johnson, WR Lance Lewis, G Cole Manhart, CB Travis Manning, DE Markus Pierce-Brewster, LB Chris Young, FB Erik Lorig, LB Ronald Powell, S Vinnie Sunseri

It looks like the Antonio Johnson was officially released yesterday as the Saints trimmed their roster down to the required 75 players. Here's hoping that he finds another opportunity soon. On the bright side, it appears that Cyril Lemon and Derek Akunne still have a good chance to make their teams' final 53.

You can see all of yesterday's "cut day" results here.

Edited by Fry Guy
  • Upvote 3

Akunne getting some praise from Falcons HC Dan Quinn...

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/football/quinn-offers-his-5-things-to-watch-against-the-rav/nnW4g/

Quinn offers his 5 things to watch against the Ravens

4. Keep an eye on No. 49.

Undrafted rookie linebacker Derek Akunne, has some speed and striking ability. He’s been slowed by a foot injury, but is expected to play against the Ravens.

“We are hoping to get Akunne back,” Quinn said. “If he can get some time in, he’s somebody that we certainly think highly of and can’t want to see him play.”

• Upvote 1

As glad as I am to see some of our guys making some noise in the NFL . . . the fact that we lost 2-3 NFL players off last year's roster does not speak well to this year's prospects for the Green and White.

You bring up a point that I wish I'd thought to pose on the "Questions for RV" thread prior to the interview.  In recent years, we've had several players catch on with NFL squads as undrafted free agents.  

I'd like to hear RV outline what improvements can be made in the program to better position our players to catch the eye of pro scouts so that we can put an end to our NFL draft drought.  

I'm having a hard time understanding how any FBS program in Texas can fail to place players in the NFL draft and a lack of worthy players has proven to not be the case.  In fact, we seem to consistently fail to put players in reputable all-star games - critical to some gaining traction for the draft.  Unfortunately, the prospects for 2016 look bleak as the 2016 senior bowl watch list was released w/out a NT player included.  I happen to this TE M. Smith may be able to turn some heads this season and am hoping that the program can help him capitalize on this, should he have pro football ambitions