Where would you spend the 5.5 Million @SuperPit?

Harry

When Tony was playing during Johnny's last season, 3/4 of that media section was full. The UNT Sports Information people, Hank and George and their folks, Sports Information people from the visiting school, visiting radio people, occasional media covering the other team, NBA scouts. It's not just me, Vito and the team photographer. 

First four rows are usually full, and that's usually just the SIDs and radio. Back two rows are usually empty, except when the sports broadcasting students in Hank's class show up to do their play-by-plays. 

They can't shove anyone behind the scorer's table, there's no room. Hell, you can barely walk back there as it is. During a TV game it's even worse. 

It's not like the place looks like this still...

high_res

If we're gonna spend 5.5 million, can we get a cool center court thing again?

high_res

high_res

high_res

• Upvote 5

Anyone wanting to replace the Super Pit is not dealing in reality.   There are a lot of places to spend money before that happens.  I don't like the new bright McDonald's like arenas, and think the SP has a lot of more years in it.  

I think most have it right, improve the lighting, add permanent ticket areas, and do something with that press area.  I think the concession areas are fine, just get  improved menus which should not cost anything, in fact it should make some money.

There could be a lot of improvements in the non-public areas, but not sure that should be a priority.  It would be nice to have a much improved facility for the Mean Green members who meet their donation requirements.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Anyone wanting to replace the Super Pit is not dealing in reality.   There are a lot of places to spend money before that happens.  I don't like the new bright McDonald's like arenas, and think the SP has a lot of more years in it.  

I think most have it right, improve the lighting, add permanent ticket areas, and do something with that press area.  I think the concession areas are fine, just get  improved menus which should not cost anything, in fact it should make some money.

There could be a lot of improvements in the non-public areas, but not sure that should be a priority.  It would be nice to have a much improved facility for the Mean Green members who meet their donation requirements.  

Oh, add that to the list. The players lounge needs some serious improvement. That would help us look more on par with the competition when it comes to recruiting.

I know @TheWestie has mentioned this before.

• Upvote 3

1. Remove the oval partition that separates the seating from the floor. (At least on the sidelines. Just fix the floor seating like everyone else has said.)

2. Redo the entrances and concourses.

3. Fix the lighting

4. Fix the internal and external signage. Outdoor banners are a good idea.

5. Update the concessions. 

• Upvote 3

I heard at one time that any significant renovation would require adding hand rails for the steps, but the current aisles are not wide enough for that. Seems like the solution would be taking at least one column of seats out of each section.

I agree with the comments about converting the current press area to seats. I am in the first row of seats behind the floor seats. Those are folding chairs instead of stadium seats. That area is rarely more than half full, and it seems that most folks sitting there are one-time or occasional guests - not season ticket holders. Put the media there on the same side as the TV cameras and add a row or two of nicer seats for those who want to pay for that.

I agree on the need for ticket windows, but reconfigure the entrances so that ticket buyers can line up INSIDE the building.

And yes, let there be light!

I am in no way favor of cutting the capacity down to 5-6K like some advocate.  If we win, we'll get crowds over that.  Hell, we were getting nearly that many for Sunbelt games at the end of JJ's tenure.

I'm on the fence.  It feels mighty cavernous in there sometimes.  There were more than a few who wanted to build Apogee out to 50,000 from the beginning on the same premise that if we started winning, it would fill up.  The last four seasons would've been ridiculous had it been built that big with no relief in sight for the foreseeable future.

Lighting should be #1, and just hire better people for the general presentation of the game with better use of the scoreboard graphics, games, etc. Make Mean Green basketball games a source of entertainment - and make people actually get excited when offering four free tickets. Then obviously make permanent ticket booth structures and deal with the media space afterwards. Whatever's left can go to the non-public areas behind the scenes.

Also, I know the former arena was nicknamed the Snake Pit, but does it have any significance? I feel like honoring an alumni or someone who was big in the program's history would give the place a cooler feeling with some history. For example, you would get more specific Google Images results for "Johnny Jones Court/Arena". Meanwhile, if you do a Google Image search for "The Super Pit", you get:

Super%20Pit_0.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I heard at one time that any significant renovation would require adding hand rails for the steps, but the current aisles are not wide enough for that. Seems like the solution would be taking at least one column of seats out of each section.

I agree with the comments about converting the current press area to seats. I am in the first row of seats behind the floor seats. Those are folding chairs instead of stadium seats. That area is rarely more than half full, and it seems that most folks sitting there are one-time or occasional guests - not season ticket holders. Put the media there on the same side as the TV cameras and add a row or two of nicer seats for those who want to pay for that.

I agree on the need for ticket windows, but reconfigure the entrances so that ticket buyers can line up INSIDE the building.

And yes, let there be light!

Disagree about who the people are sitting in the floor seats.  Most of the people sitting in those seats are the actual season ticket holders and show up 99% of the time to support the team and university despite what their personal thoughts might be about the coaching staff or AD.  Same goes for a large chunk of season ticket holders who sit in the lower bowl.

Overall I think the Super Pit is a great arena and not much needs to be done to enhance the game day experience.  With the limited $ the things I would change would be putting in new seats in the lower/upper bowls, have better lighting, update restrooms, update players lounges if that is needed (I have never seen them), add the ticket booths, and finally create or build a new space for the MGC room to be on the main concourse level.  I think it would be better served up there and not hidden in the tunnels below the seats.  It would be more visible and could help in the drive to get new members or to get current members to up their current level.

Spend all 5.5 million on a new slick locker room to attract the players we need to win.

13323187-standard.jpg

That's a pretty awesome locker room but weren't they having money problems thus canned their football and a few other programs?

Edited by UNTFan23

Disagree about who the people are sitting in the floor seats.  Most of the people sitting in those seats are the actual season ticket holders and show up 99% of the time to support the team and university despite what their personal thoughts might be about the coaching staff or AD.  Same goes for a large chunk of season ticket holders who sit in the lower bowl.

Overall I think the Super Pit is a great arena and not much needs to be done to enhance the game day experience.  With the limited $ the things I would change would be putting in new seats in the lower/upper bowls, have better lighting, update restrooms, update players lounges if that is needed (I have never seen them), add the ticket booths, and finally create or build a new space for the MGC room to be on the main concourse level.  I think it would be better served up there and not hidden in the tunnels below the seats.  It would be more visible and could help in the drive to get new members or to get current members to up their current level.

99% attendance is too high, but your point that those "big money" supporters is otherwise well made. Those seats are used at a significantly higher rate than any other class of seats in the Pit. No idea about other season ticket holders beyond our seats. It's been empty enough there's no way to be sure.

• Upvote 1

That's a pretty awesome locker room but weren't they having money problems thus canned their football and a few other programs?

No, they did not.  But Bear Bryant Jr hired the right contractor and campus president to make the books look that way.  The real campus having money problems was UAT, UAB is doign well because the medical school/research hospital is one of the best funded in the nation off of federal grants. 

Getting their hands on that money is why the UA BOT went along. 

• Upvote 1

There were numerous good ideas in the above thread. I would have reservations on ideas that substantially changed the configuration/use of space at the floor level in any permanent way. Particularly concerning would be narrowing any tunnel entrances.

My reasoning is that this building is a muti-purpose building not dedicated to basketball. Those tunnels accommodate vehicles to transport exhibits or whatever that may be required to be delivered to the floor. Until it belongs solely to the athletic department, I don't see how it could be truly customized for our basketball use.

That doesn't mean that great things can't be done to improve the "look and feel" on gamedays.  Just my humble opinion.