Where oh where is the outrage from the conservative students?  They should be out demanding that Wendy Davis not be allowed to spew her liberal views on "children, family rights, racial, ethnic and economic inequality and their impact on children" at UNT during next Monday's TedxUNT talk on campus. They should be out with petitions and holding meetings on how to disrupt her speech if she does get to speak, they should be out encouraging folks to block the entrances!

For those interested...it is free and open to all...Gateway Center...Monday, 5:30-7:30pm.  You must register to attend at http://www.unt.edu/transit/visitor_info.html (I hope I got that right).

I mean, she might even get to spend some time with President Smatresk.  That in itself is reason enough to protest and demand she not be allowed to speak, right?  Heck, this is the second time she has been allowed to speak without protest.  What is wrong here?

Just being more than a little sarcastic here, folks, but the irony is really funny...at least to me!  And, yes, I do know she is not Governor.  Thanks.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

For most people, the issue with Abbott wasn't that he's Republican, it was his views on equality. I say most, because I'm sure there is some percentage of people who are incapable of political discourse with opposing viewpoints at any level.

I think this was Kram's point.

People disagree with people all the time.  There are people out there who vehemently disagree with the things Wendy Davis stands for... not that she is a Democrat... but you're not seeing all of the petitioning/protesting and such.

• Upvote 2

People disagree with people all the time.  There are people out there who vehemently disagree with the things Wendy Davis stands for... not that she is a Democrat... but you're not seeing all of the petitioning/protesting and such.

I know, but what I'm saying is there's a big difference between someone not sharing the same view as you on gun control, and your governor disagreeing with who you are as a person.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I know, but what I'm saying is there's a big difference between someone not sharing the same view as you on gun control, and your governor disagreeing with who you are as a person.

I have no idea what Wendy Davis thinks about gun control.  I'm not sure where that came from.  
I was kindof referring to her biggest platform while running for governor: abortion rights.  There are going to be many out there who fundamentally disagree with her stance there.

And honestly, I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that her upcoming talk will be much more political/opinionated than Gov. Abbott's commencement address.

• Upvote 3

Yep and yep to your follow-up post as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To be fair there's quite a difference between what type of speech people expect to hear from a TEDx talk and a graduation ceremony. Although I wouldn't particularly care to have to sit through either tbh.

I think that was the main issue at hand. You don't want anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint to not speak at your University then you're in the wrong place, but I think the difference was specifically when and where Abbot was speaking. 

as opposed to Wendy Davis's disagreeing with your right to actually BE a person...

Your values are as confused as your sexuality...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

For most people, the issue with Abbott wasn't that he's Republican, it was his views on equality. I say most, because I'm sure there is some percentage of people who are incapable of political discourse with opposing viewpoints at any level.

From the little time I have been on this board you seem to be one of those people who are incapable... Perhaps my sample size is too small.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

From the little time I have been on this board you seem to be one of those people who are incapable... Perhaps my sample size is too small.

I debate with anyone my viewpoint and try to understand theirs. There's a difference between shutting down discussion with someone who's on the other side of an issue, and being expected to respond cordially to name calling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wendy Davis is still a thing?  I guess she hasn't completely faded away after her poor showing for a gubernatorial campaign.

Define "thing".  Has-been "thing" maybe.  Never-was "thing" perhaps.  One-trick pony "thing", OK.

• Upvote 1

Define "thing".  Has-been "thing" maybe.  Never-was "thing" perhaps.  One-trick pony "thing", OK.

I'd say she was as relevant as a certain pathetic former Governor running for President who's down to one paid aid and one volunteer.

But I can't understand it. He has better hair than "the Donald" and he panders to the gun nuts and their irrational fears. 

• Downvote 2

I'd say she was as relevant as a certain pathetic former Governor running for President who's down to one paid aid and one olunteer.

But I can't understand it. He has better hair than "the Donald" and he panders to the gun nuts and their irrational fears. 

Perry never lost a gubernatorial election here, though--Davis wasn't nearly as successful. Even the folks at MSNBC talked about what a terrible candidate she was. The liberals thought her looks and her candor would work--obviously beautiful on the outside, came from a tough background, single-parent, worked to pay for college, became a successful lawyer and politican--but she had nothing else but abortion to advocate because that is all anyone knew her from, so in Texas, that killed many of her potential voters right there. Abbott had that election in the bag as soon as she was the opponent in the general election.

If your point is that college students are liberal and generally not open-minded at that age to opposing view points I don't think anyone, conservative or liberal, will argue with you there. I'm sure there was just as much outrage and protest when Theodore Roosevelt visited UNT back when you were in college. Damn Progressive Bullmooses. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Perry never lost a gubernatorial election here, though--Davis wasn't nearly as successful. Even the folks at MSNBC talked about what a terrible candidate she was. The liberals thought her looks and her candor would work--obviously beautiful on the outside, came from a tough background, single-parent, worked to pay for college, became a successful lawyer and politican--but she had nothing else but abortion to advocate because that is all anyone knew her from, so in Texas, that killed many of her potential voters right there. Abbott had that election in the bag as soon as she was the opponent in the general election.

And that speaks more about the Texas voters more than anything else. Because when Perry got out in the "real world" of politics, all his "good hair", posturing with law enforcement officers on the border, and carrying a gun whilst on his morning jog didn't (thankfully) impress everyone else around the nation. Jeez what a buffoon.  

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And that speaks more about the Texas voters more than anything else. Because when Perry got out in the "real world" of politics, all his "good hair", posturing with law enforcement officers on the border, and carrying a gun whilst on his morning jog didn't (thankfully) impress everyone else around the nation. Jeez what a buffoon.  

Agreed 100%. It makes you really wonder about  the general voting population in Texas when the Governor is pandering to the Jade Helm 15 idiots. 

• Upvote 3

I'm surprised that only one person touched on the real difference...having someone you vehemently disagree with as the keynote speaker for your graduation is a bit different than someone being on campus for an extracurricular event that is going to be solely attended by interested parties OR those only interested in protesting.

I still think the anti-Abbott thing was really overblown and ridiculous, but trying to equate that with this is pretty goofy too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1