Middle Tennessee Schedules Series With Mizzou

James329

No, because it's an excuse. Most G5 programs face apathy. That's a part of being in the G5, always trying to prove themselves to their fanbase, conference and country. We don't need to be informed of a given over and over, we need to be told solutions and we need to see said solutions come to fruition over time. 

Most G5s face apathy, huh? I'll take the apathy in any other G5 place, on a per-student or per-fan basis, over ours any day. You'd have to know what its been like around here to understand the history. In the early 70s, we voted to get rid of football, but it barely missed getting dropped. In the 80s, we let the program get dropped down to 1-aa. In the 90s, we added 10k aluminum seats that are farther away from the field than almost any seat at Apogee just to get back up to I-A so we can get bigger paychecks from more bodybag opponents. In the 00's, we kept a coach on the sidelines for a 4th year, despite racking up a whopping 5-31 record in his first three years here. Not even one of those things happens if apathy doesn't rule the day here. 

If there's a next AD around anytime in the next decade, which I highly doubt,  if they don't know what the hell they are facing in apathy here, from an alumni that is detached to put it mildly, to a local citizenry that doesn't give two craps about our program, to a student body that is almost trained to not give a damn about athletics by the faculty, alumni, and local residents, they will learn real fast how things work here.

Apathy isn't an excuse---its a mindset. All of the excuses you hear all come from the biggest issue we have--apathy. Even winning in the 70s, 00's, or in 2013 didn't do anything to the apathy that has a stranglehold around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is no organised defense of the AD going on.  Indiana is far, far from a P5 football power.  What helped us beat them was the TX heat.  Those guys were gassed after coming back for the second half of the game.

Baylor was downright awful when we played them.  It's no surprise we beat them.  If we played them today (regardless of location) we'd get waxed.

K-State in 2010 was a middle of the road Big 12 North team.  Had we played better defense that night we might have actually won.  If I remember correctly, a lot of purple was in that stadium for the final game at Fouts.  Hardly a home field advantage.

What some people seem to get all hot and bothered by is playing top shelf programs in Apogee. I've seen names like aTm, Oklahoma State, Mizzou (Mizzou might not be top shelf but they have an offense that lights up the scoreboard), and a couple others who we really have no business playing in our home stadium.

I want winnable games in Apogee.  We should be scheduling G5 schools and not P5s.  G5 present us with the greatest opportunity for a win and a winning season.

Well, hell son, let's just schedule FCS schools for all our home games. Might as well even throw in some high school teams as well. I mean, sure wins and all.

OR

UNT could challenge themselves, their AD, their head ball coach, and their players to be something different than they always have been. 

But you have no interest in that, right?

Those donors didn't descend from the heavens.  Their AD went and developed those relationships.

Since North Texas enrollment  (37k) is almost four times the size of ASU's (10K), since our alumni numbers dwarf theirs, and since DFW is one of the richest and most prosperous sections of the entire nation I guess the real question is why haven't we landed at least that same level of giving?

come on, now. RV has only been here  14 years. How the hell can you expect him to develop donors in that short time frame.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, hell son, let's just schedule FCS schools for all our home games. Might as well even throw in some high school teams as well. I mean, sure wins and all.

OR

UNT could challenge themselves, their AD, their head ball coach, and their players to be something different than they always have been. 

But you have no interest in that, right?

come on, now. RV has only been here  14 years. How the hell can you expect him to develop donors in that short time frame.

Well old man, I wish you'd quit taking my words and twisting them around.  Nowhere have I said we should be scheduling FCS schools.  Our path to success really is to schedule within our means and play G5 schools.  There are plenty of teams that would be challenging for us to play.  The MWC and MAC have plenty of schools we should look at playing before most of the P5 schools.

We aren't doing ourselves any favors when we constantly schedule numerous P5 schools in a season that are guaranteed losses when it comes to getting bowl eligible.  This year we have Iowa and Tennessee -- both are losses in my book.  That's puts the team in a position to need to win six out of 10 remaining games.

• Upvote 1

we play these teams every year on the road. You have absolutely no problem with us getting our ass kicked at THEIR place. So it isn't about not getting humiliated to you. If it was, and you made as much noise about not playing these teams period as you did about just not playing them at Apogee, I could kinda understand your point.

But that isn't what you do.

You are perfectly ok getting murdered on the road (cause that is going to happen against these teams with this coach 100% of the time), but you don't want to give the players the chance to have a home field advantage and possibly, maybe, give us a close game (you know, at least as close as those glory games against Georgia and K. St. that guys like you praise all the time). 

But you are against that.

There are only 2 logical reasons for this stance. The first is that you will protect this AD at any cost because of a personal relationship. The second is you just don't want UNT athletics to grow and want to keep the small time, D2 atmosphere that surrounds this program, and particularly this AD. 

So, party on?

One of you constant whines.....party on.  Everyone knows.  But, you can enjoy your pity party while I enjoy Mean Green football.  All a matter of perspective.  Your glass isn't even half empty all the time...it's completely empty.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well old man, I wish you'd quit taking my words and twisting them around.  Nowhere have I said we should be scheduling FCS schools.  Our path to success really is to schedule within our means and play G5 schools.  There are plenty of teams that would be challenging for us to play.  The MWC and MAC have plenty of schools we should look at playing before most of the P5 schools.

We aren't doing ourselves any favors when we constantly schedule numerous P5 schools in a season that are guaranteed losses when it comes to getting bowl eligible.  This year we have Iowa and Tennessee -- both are losses in my book.  That's puts the team in a position to need to win six out of 10 remaining games.

Our path to success is beating a P5, and preferably a ranked one. No one will notice beating another G5. 

Unless you define success as going to one bowl game where you play a UNLV type team every 10 years or so...

• Downvote 2