Loss at SMU

H-towngreen

Getting sold the FCS games, at least to me, does absolutely nothing for your program.

Joe Fan will never make the trip to Denton for this game. Joe Media Member will never cover the game. And even worse, the game just doesn't prep you for any other FBS team on the schedule, but it does open you up to injuries and even worse, a loss, which for our program right now, would almost be too much to overcome in our current state.

I agree 100%, the absolute biggest sore spot with the scheduling is the FCS planning.

Joe Fan will never make the trip to Denton for this game. Joe Media Member will never cover the game. 

I agree. That's why you make these stupid FCS games the homecoming game every year, then you essentially guarantee a win for the alumni and fans -- which is most people's only trip back to Denton each year. 

• Upvote 1

P5's do this all the time.
I don't have a problem with it... until the day we lose to one.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/new-big-ten-scheduling-mandates-power-5-opponents-no-fcs-foes/

Until they figure out that playing them does nothing for the program and is unappealing to the fan base, or the "Joe Fan" as @untjim1995 called this group of people.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

I don't know that SMU or Army are "premier" opponents, but they are teams that people will come out to see. SMU and service academies have been top10 attended games for us. And you can't downgrade an opponent just because we were able to schedule them at Fouts. By that logic, Baylor and KSt would be less attractive opponents because they played at Fouts. (To me Baylor is less attractive because I don't want to watch them put up 50+ at Apogee.) 

Both are still good series. I think the SMU series is long to create the rivalry, not because it is a premier opponent. I am hoping that Sept 12 shows that it is a good series for both teams by having 5K+ green shirts in the stands at Ford. And I hope we kick the shit out of them too.

• Upvote 2

P5's do this all the time.
I don't have a problem with it... until the day we lose to one.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't the only home OOC game 2 of the last 4 years. And when it wasn't the only home OOC game, we had a marquee home opponent in the second home OOC game.

But since we don't have that marquee home opponent for the next 5 years, and we did have an FCS as the only home OOC game 2 of the last 4 years, I am completely against it. 

In its current form, it's stupid, lazy, shot-sighted scheduling. I've come to expect nothing more from this AD.

Psst, Harry...  We aren't a P5. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hate the FCS team on the schedule. What happens if you lose? 

I hate them too--Nicholls State did absolutely nothing to help us last year. Didn't bring in any new fans to the program, didn't prepare the team for better competition down the road, and didn't give the coaches any insight on who could be a better fit for their gameplan.

I hate them too--Nicholls State did absolutely nothing to help us last year. Didn't bring in any new fans to the program, didn't prepare the team for better competition down the road, and didn't give the coaches any insight on who could be a better fit for their gameplan.

Maybe I'm the only one who experienced this, but I had more people say something to me about how good North Texas must be or wow you guys had a good game, after that Nicholls State game than any in the last 5 years. That score got a lot of publicity.

• Upvote 2

Maybe I'm the only one who experienced this, but I had more people say something to me about how good North Texas must be or wow you guys had a good game, after that Nicholls State game than any in the last 5 years. That score got a lot of publicity.

You might be the only one.  My kids hung a "kiK mE" sign on my back and the wife refused to let me sleep in bed that night after Nicholls St. And that was a win!!

I hate FCS games....

Edited by Got5onIt

You obviously didn't notice them rolling their eyes and winking at one another when you turned and walked away.

You obviously didn't notice them rolling their eyes and winking at one another when you turned and walked away.

The simple fact is that your average person in the community and in the stands is not going to appreciate that a 14-13 win over Middle Tennessee State is far more of an accomplishment than a 77-3 win over Nicholls State.

• Upvote 4

The simple fact is that your average person in the community and in the stands is not going to appreciate that a 14-13 win over Middle Tennessee State is far more of an accomplishment than a 77-3 win over Nicholls State.

If you are talking about our stands and the Denton/UNT community, then you are probably right. My response was based on MGH not exclusively working and living inside the UNT/Denton bubble. But even people outside our bubble, and who know better, would still not be impressed. 

I'll make an early prediction. We could beat WK by two touchdowns this year and most people outside of our bubble, even the ones who know better, will only give us dismissive(ish) praise as if we were children.

Folks, we reached 6 wins or more once in the last decade.  In many of those years, we didn't even come close.  I guess I just can't believe how many of you are blaming strength of schedule on our attendance woes.  Wouldn't the much more likely culprit be the fact that 90% of the time in recent memory we've had bad teams--ranging from historically bad to just average bad?  Would I love to have a home-and-home series with Notre Dame?  Sure, and I'd be willing to pay more for season tickets to make that happen.  But it won't happen.  So, what we're really discussing is how we're alienating fans by bringing in Nichols State and Portland State and Liberty, etc. instead of what--a Sun Belt or MAC opponent?  If it weren't for Nichols State last year, we would have had miserably poor offensive averages for the year--and most of you probably wouldn't consider Dajon a D1 quarterback.  

My point is this:  Bring in the big name opponent by any method possible.  We should have at least marquee home game per year, and that would certainly help our program in a number of ways.  But, don't jettison the easy wins while we're still a program that is absolutely starved for wins in our recent history.  Playing one FCS team per year is so common that we'd actually be putting ourselves at a significant disadvantage versus those teams we're competing against for bowl bids.  The casual college football fan will ALWAYS believe that we have a weak strength of schedule anyway, merely by playing in a G5 conference.  We can't change that--at least for the foreseeable future, but we can manipulate our schedule to help squeeze out an extra win or two each year.  The benefits of surrendering that would hardly, in my estimation, outweigh the costs. 

• Upvote 2

Ok, why the blue frog in your avatar?

Long story but it's this guy:

28a.gif

and the drugged up TCU version is:
rainbowfrog_zps3dd8cb05.gif

Another forum poster saw it as my icon and he made a bunch of Blue SMU icons for people and that's what he made for me.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-out-frog-frogout-me-obrigue

Edited by malonish
So many frogs
  • Upvote 2