Loss at SMU

H-towngreen

Well for what it's worth, I've spoken to a couple of guys on the team that I share classes with and they're champing at the bit to get out there against SMU (pun intended) and want to prove last season's SMU game wasn't a fluke and that the season as a whole was. I'd venture to say they're more excited about this game than any of us (the GMG members) about it. This alone makes me even more excited about the game than anything else. 

I think this team realizes the mission they have in front of them and the opportunity they have to win everyone over again. They tasted something amazing in 2014 and they're hungry again. Let's do this, people!

• Upvote 4

HoD was not a road win. If anything it's a home win. It was literally a neutral site game though. 

After a quick check, if my numbers are correct and I believe they are, McCarney was 15-40 on the road for Iowa State leaving his career road record at 20-60. He will be looking for his 21st road win on September 12 to go with his national championship ring.

Well for what it's worth, I've spoken to a couple of guys on the team that I share classes with and they're champing at the bit to get out there against SMU (pun intended) and want to prove last season's SMU game wasn't a fluke and that the season as a whole was. I'd venture to say they're more excited about this game than any of us (the GMG members) about it. This alone makes me even more excited about the game than anything else. 

I think this team realizes the mission they have in front of them and the opportunity they have to win everyone over again. They tasted something amazing in 2014 and they're hungry again. Let's do this, people!

I will say that while at Iowa State he beat Iowa (3 wins) on the road more than any other team he played on the road(Mizzou and Baylor 2nd at 2 wins each).

• Upvote 1

After a quick check, if my numbers are correct and I believe they are, McCarney was 15-40 on the road for Iowa State leaving his career road record at 20-60. He will be looking for his 21st road win on September 12 to go with his national championship ring.

I will say that while at Iowa State he beat Iowa (3 wins) on the road more than any other team he played on the road(Mizzou and Baylor 2nd at 2 wins each).

So, to get this straight, at Iowa State, he went 15-40 on the road in his tenure, but 20% of his road wins were at Iowa, ISU's Super Bowl every year.

That should bode well for us in the course of the rest of Mac's tenure here against SMU. And if anything has been proven over the years, its that beating SMU means more to our school's fanbase than anything else...

• Upvote 3

A .250 winning percentage on the road.  Pretty piss poor.  Only 91.67% better than his predecessor.  

When they talk about setting bars at North Texas, they mean putting in another brew pub on the square.

Well, fortunately for us he has only won 20 percent of his road games as the coach of North Texas.

• Upvote 1

No win should be thought of as guaranteed.That said, dirty schmoo was pretty talent starved last year.  Especially in the trenches.  I'd like to know what they have coming back and what they've added in on their o-line.  We only tallied 4 sacks in the game last year, but I remember thinking we dominated the LOS against them.  This year we should have a much improved d-line.  For all the talk about this new "up-tempo" offense that we're installing, the main thing we need to do to beat dirty schmoo is dominate the line of scrimmage.  I'm betting that we do, and we ride that to a 'W'.

My worst fear is that we're serious with this up-tempo crap, but aren't yet running it well in game 1 and we turn it over 4 or 5 times en-route to keeping them in the game.  

I was one game off on my earlier guess, according to JHowell.net you are correct.  20 road wins in 16 seasons as a head coach.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I of course won't get my hopes up because SMUers have been parroted the same "Oh we're actually getting good this year" stuff by media and coaches so I will hold off my predictions for this game until some time after the game has ended.

cheater...

• Upvote 5

Take nothing for granted. The ponies are looking to avenge an ass whipping from last year. Combine that with the fact they'll be coming off an ass whipping from Baylor the previous week. They'll be more hyped up than Craig James in a Red Light District. This game will come down to the wire....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Fixed

It truly amazes me how much we get up for playing SMU. When that series got announced, it wasn't 70% of the fanbase that was thrilled with it, it was more like 99%. Its as if SMU is thought of as pre-death penalty, SWC powerhouse by the whole fanbase, not pissant G5 program that has had just as many winning seasons as we have since 1995, when they got drop-kicked from relevancy in the SWC to the WAC and we moved up to FBS.

I know its a winnable game against a program that used its money and media prestige to keep us away from them, but beating them does almost nothing for us in recruiting, as seen by wins in 2006 and last year, yet we never seem to come close to their recruiting ranking ever, even when they suck as bad we do or we beat them.  They will never get back to being at a level they were in the SWC, pre-death penalty. They have no sizable fanbase--and they live in the shadows of a pro market. They are no different than Tulane or Rice, just small private schools in big pro football markets that cannot move the needle with the citizens of those cities. But RV gets praise from the fanbase for scheduling them for such a long series, like its some coup. I'd have been fine with a four game series that could be renewed, if necessary. But the fanbase thinks that getting SMU at home 6 times in 12 years is just a huge accomplishment, so those of us in the 1% just have to accept it. Its like tailgaiting--RV gets a "lifetime" contact here as AD for opening up tailgating and scheduling SMU for a 12 year series...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It truly amazes me how much we get up for playing SMU. When that series got announced, it wasn't 70% of the fanbase that was thrilled with it, it was more like 99%. Its as if SMU is thought of as pre-death penalty, SWC powerhouse by the whole fanbase, not pissant G5 program that has had just as many winning seasons as we have since 1995, when they got drop-kicked from relevancy in the SWC to the WAC and we moved up to FBS.

I know its a winnable game against a program that used its money and media prestige to keep us away from them, but beating them does almost nothing for us in recruiting, as seen by wins in 2006 and last year, yet we never seem to come close to their recruiting ranking ever, even when they suck as bad we do or we beat them.  They will never get back to being at a level they were in the SWC, pre-death penalty. They have no sixable fanbase--and they live in the shadows of a pro market. They are no different than Tulane or Rice, just small private schools in big pro football markets that cannot move the needle with the citizens of those cities. But RV gets praise from the fanbase for scheduling them for such a long series, like its some coup. I'd have been fine with a four game series that could be renewed, if necessary. But the fanbase thinks that getting SMU at home 6 times in 12 years is just a huge accomplishment, so those of us in the 1% just have to accept it. Its like tailgaiting--RV gets a "lifetime" contact here as AD for opening up tailgating and scheduling SMU for a 12 year series...

Agree with everything you say here except the 99%. MAYBE 99% of hardcore, attended every home game fans who are over 40.

Not a big deal for the younger generation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with everything you say here except the 99%. MAYBE 99% of hardcore, attended every home game fans who are over 40.

Not a big deal for the younger generation. 

But the younger generation doesn't fund the program or rub elbows with RV...those that do absolutely adore RV to death, just as the BOR does. He will see this series through until it runs out as our AD, which will be in 2025. At that point, RV will be 68 years old. And he will probably be working in the Rick Villareal Athletic Offices, which overlook the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields, all because his visionary leadership led to us having tailgating and scheduling a 12 game series with long-time rival, SMU.

I know its a winnable game against a program that used its money and media prestige to keep us away from them, but beating them does almost nothing for us in recruiting, as seen by wins in 2006 and last year, yet we never seem to come close to their recruiting ranking ever, even when they suck as bad we do or we beat them.  They will never get back to being at a level they were in the SWC, pre-death penalty. They have no sizable fanbase--and they live in the shadows of a pro market. They are no different than Tulane or Rice, just small private schools in big pro football markets that cannot move the needle with the citizens of those cities. But RV gets praise from the fanbase for scheduling them for such a long series, like its some coup. I'd have been fine with a four game series that could be renewed, if necessary. But the fanbase thinks that getting SMU at home 6 times in 12 years is just a huge accomplishment, so those of us in the 1% just have to accept it. Its like tailgaiting--RV gets a "lifetime" contact here as AD for opening up tailgating and scheduling SMU for a 12 year series...

I can see what you're saying. But what kind of series would actually benefit UNT?

I can see what you're saying. But what kind of series would actually benefit UNT?

No series benefits UNT more than SMU. The $$$$$$$$$ that they represent will have them among the next two invitees that the Big 12 will have to have to be relevant in the made for TV four team "National Championship" !!! The series is only good for UNT if we continue to prove relevant. The under 40 crowd who don't think this is a big game can and may cause us to lose this game. Read Wed. DMNS "SMU is in the best shape  of their lives". They will run 80 plays per game with an ex A$M QB, a back equal to any of ours in Prescott Line, and a much better freshman class than we recruited. I feel UNT 90 was right that this game will be 3 points or less, but because of our reluctance by fans, coaches, players, or students to realize this games importance I am taking SMU and giving 7. Dan Mac is no match for Chad Morris on the road. I will not let my heart overrule my pocketbook.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with playing SMU, but don't sign it up for 12 years, with the idea that its the premier home opponent. They are a perfectly fine secondary home opponent in OOC play, just like Army is. If a 12 game schedule with SMU and an 8 game schedule with Army "qualifies" as at least 1 Premier home opponent in our leadership's eyes for the next decade in a brand new stadium, it just confirms that we got lied to about needing Apogee to bring in better recognized opponents. With our scheduling, its as if we are still playing at Fouts in a toilet of a stadium, not one of the absolutely nicest places in all of G5 college football. We played both SMU and Army at Fouts in the last decade.

Again, to me, playing SMU is fine. They aren't a premier opponent, though, to anyone in college football--except us. In the G5 world, UH, UCF, Cincy, USF, Boise State, Fresno State, Air Force, East Carolina, and Navy, as well as BYU if you don't consider them P5, are all teams that are way higher than SMU is. Hosting SMU/Army and one of these teams listed above or a P5 team would be an awesome home schedule, almost identical to our first season at Apogee with UH and Indiana as home games. Instead, we have gotten years now at Apogee that look like this in OOC:

2012-Texas Southern (FCS)

2013--Idaho (indy), Ball State (MAC)

2014--SMU (AAC), Nicholls State (FCS)

2015--Portland State (FCS)

2016--SMU (AAC), Liberty (FCS)

2017--Army (Indy) Lamar (FCS)

2018--SMU (AAC), Incarnate Word (FCS)

2019--Army (Indy), Abilene Christian (FCS)

2020--SMU (AAC)

2021--Army (Indy)

2022--SMU (AAC)

2023--nothing yet

2024--SMU (AAC)

Again, to me, the biggest issue is that you have basically told your fanbase that SMU and Army are as good as you can get to Denton for another 10 years, basically. You did that at the old dump of a place, because essentially, SMU and Army are not big time at all. Historically, yes both have great name recognition. But to tell everyone that they are your "premier" home games just seems so stupid. I will say this, use the SMU series to your advantage in the years to play in Dallas to have one OOC home game like this year, but use it to play a much better team an FCS squad in a home and home series, even if it means a few 5 home game schedules. I'd like to think that a smart fanbase would accept a 5 game home schedule if it means that the one home game is a team like BYU or Boise State, for example, especially if it means in some seasons, your home schedule get to be a Boise State/ BYU and SMU/Army every other season at home, while the other season is 5 games with just one home game against a better named team and at SMU, which is basically a neutral-site game. Getting sold the FCS games, at least to me, does absolutely nothing for your program. Joe Fan will never make the trip to Denton for this game. Joe Media Member will never cover the game. And even worse, the game just doesn't prep you for any other FBS team on the schedule, but it does open you up to injuries and even worse, a loss, which for our program right now, would almost be too much to overcome in our current state.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1