Loss at SMU

H-towngreen

I don't think you guys are giving Chad Morris and SMU enough credit. I keep reading in threads over and over again about how that is one of our guaranteed victories this season. That is not and will not be the case. They have talent, I would say more talent than UNT does, go back and look at the recruiting battles. They had a coach who had thrown in the towel several seasons ago. Now they have a young, offensive minded coach who will turn things around quickly. It will be SMU's first chance for a W and is at home. I hate to say it but I don't think we win this game. Call me out all you want if UNT goes in and wins, but I just don't see it playing out that way.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 8

I do think it will be a lot tougher than last season just by virtue of it being a road game.  Mac historically has not fared well in those.

I agree that SMU has hired a good coach and he will get the ship turned around quickly. 

If we lose to SMU, heads need to roll and there needs to be serious consequences.

I don't care how much "talent" they had, they were one of the worst FBS teams in recent memory last season and if we lose to them, we have had a serious regression. If we lose to SMU, especially in that it is the game Mac focuses on MOST, it will be unacceptable and we will likely be in for a 2-10 type season. Losing to SMU is absolutely a worst case scenario. Even with Morris, SMU is still a 4-8 team this year and personally I'm not really sold on him yet. Big talk kinda guy...I'm not impressed with SMU's skill positions.

I think we win, and win easily again.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I do think it will be a lot tougher than last season just by virtue of it being a road game.  Mac historically has not fared well in those.

I agree that SMU has hired a good coach and he will get the ship turned around quickly. 

That's where it's our job as fans to show up and keep it an 'away-game-in-name-only'.

SMU is an atrocious team.  Morris may be the next Bobby Bowden, but he has quite the reclamation project right now.  Now 2-3 years from now, it may be a different story...   but right now, they're still terrible.

• Upvote 2

I do not want to say SMU is a confirmed win for us. However, I disagree that they are going to win for sure. I do not think SMU is going to have a good season. They have a lot to work on, and some things just happen overnight. (I am not saying that we do not have a lot of flaws to work on as well)

I will bet money that we win, and I think it might be a nail biter close game. We are going to really rely on our special teams and defensive turnovers this game.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree that we shouldn't sleep on SMU. They are on the upswing, BUT it's going to take a couple seasons.

They'll have growing pains and lack experience this year.

It'll be win for us this year, but not a drubbing. Next year, tho, we need come prepared.

• Upvote 1

I normally hate the whole "you had to have played to understand" logic, since there are plenty of people with the mind to evaluate the game but not the body to play it. But one of the few times I think that applies are situations like this. If you haven't played then it's hard to have perspective on how much faster you as a player are playing at during the second game as opposed to your first game.

I'm not saying we for sure lose because of that, but I'd be impressed if we win this game. Especially since we were 0-6 on the road last year. Not sure who I'd put money down on if I had to.

• Upvote 6

I posted this in another thread and think it should be pointed out here as well.

I'm not sure if you paid attention to the offense in the last game but here are some numbers you may be interested in. We had 13 total drives in the '14 SMU game, 2 were 52 yards or longer and the other 11 were 31 yards or fewer. That isn't exactly moving the ball with ease. We had 5 punts, 5 field goals, and only 3tds. We started within 10 yards of their half of the field 7 times, yet only got 29pts out of it with only 2 of those 7 drives being for touchdowns and 5 for field goals.

Some folks around here are in for a rude awakening if SMU's offense isn't as bad as it was last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Coach Mac usually rises to the occasion in these rivalry games--that has been his MO, both at ISU and last year when we annihilated SMU. It may be close, but we will win this game.

um...UTSA?!?!? I know some on here don't want to consider them a rival, but lets be real, outside of SMU the Roadrunners are our biggest rival. The loss to UTSA in 2013 is Mac's worst loss at UNT, IMO. Senior Day with a chance to host the conference championship on the line and the team played it's most uninspiring football of the year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I normally hate the whole "you had to have played to understand" logic, since there are plenty of people with the mind to evaluate the game but not the body to play it. But one of the few times I think that applies are situations like this. If you haven't played then it's hard to have perspective on how much faster you as a player are playing at during the second game as opposed to your first game.

Did you play college ball?  If you're talking about high school ball, you do realize that most of us here played, right?

• Upvote 2

um...UTSA?!?!? I know some on here don't want to consider them a rival, but lets be real, outside of SMU the Roadrunners are our biggest rival. The loss to UTSA in 2013 is Mac's worst loss at UNT, IMO. Senior Day with a chance to host the conference championship on the line and the team played it's most uninspiring football of the year.

We havent beaten them yet so he wouldnt consider that a rivalry yet by his estimation.

• Upvote 3

I don't think you guys are giving Chad Morris and SMU enough credit. I keep reading in threads over and over again about how that is one of our guaranteed victories this season. That is not and will not be the case. They have talent, I would say more talent than UNT does, go back and look at the recruiting battles. They had a coach who had thrown in the towel several seasons ago. Now they have a young, offensive minded coach who will turn things around quickly. It will be SMU's first chance for a W and is at home. I hate to say it but I don't think we win this game. Call me out all you want if UNT goes in and wins, but I just don't see it playing out that way.

I believe all of this to be true. But would welcome being wrong. 

• Upvote 3

He didn't get hired here to hear about beating UTSA. He's gotten plenty of talk about our hatred for SMU. Russia State and the Safeway Bowl are just two examples of the hate for the Ponies from us.

UTSA only becomes a rivalry if two things happen:

1.) We can actually beat them. If we cannot beat them this year, its gonna be a while...

2.) Playing them brings in a decent crowd. I still have my doubts that we will see a huge crowd of over 20k for a home game at Apogee against UTSA this year. Sure, there will be more interested in that game than when we play an Eastern CUSA team, but they are still not going to register much with fans outside of the UNT regulars if we aren't winning.