denton county hamburger

mean ed

I visit a lot of different hamburger places--I love to see who is best. I have found no one that compares to the Hamburger Co on the square. It is flame broiled AND you get to serve yourself homestyle fries and beans that are out of this world.

Just go to the square and look for people coming out of a building with food and stains all over their shirt. That will be the place. biggrin.gif

If you are truly Mean Green, don't go to the Texas Hamburgers. They do not support North Texas and the owner is a typical Dentonite, in that he takes but does not give to the North Texas scene. The Texas Hamburger Factory in Lewisville is owned by North Texas Exes who do contribute to the Mean Green. They were $1,000 donors at one time. Bon apitite.

Guest JohnDenver

If you are truly Mean Green, don't go to the Texas Hamburgers.  They do not support North Texas and the owner is a typical Dentonite, in that he takes but does not give to the North Texas scene.  The Texas Hamburger Factory in Lewisville is owned by North Texas Exes who do contribute to the Mean Green.  They were $1,000 donors at one time.  Bon apitite.

Hate to shoot a hole in your theory, BUT ...

Texas Hamburger Factory was bought out by the former Chillis owners and they are now part of a small corporation. Their business plan is to buy out locally owned successfull restaurants and not change anything (so they say). So far they own ~10 Dallas area places.

The owners before this corporation were the original owners and I can tell you, they were not NT Exes. They were the scum of the earth. Lying, back-stabbing and two faced. My friend worked there for loyaly for nine years (high school and college) and they rarely treated her with any respect -- even when she was the manager. They didn't even tell her they sold the place. They just handed over the keys to the new people and let them tell her that she is out of a job.

Down with the Hamburger Factory! Viva la Resistance!

Denton Co. Hamburger is on the south side of the square on Hickory Street. They are in the middle of the block. This resturant supported Denton High School when I was in school, because so many students ate lunch there. I have a feeling that if they started to see some customers in Green and White supporting their establishment that they might return the favor.

I too don't understand why some of the businesses in Denton don't support UNT, but maybe it is a catch-22 type situation. We don't like them so we don't enter their business, and they don't support UNT because we badmouth them and don't shop in their store. Maybe we should be the first to enter these businesses, tell them we are in town for the game, and in the case of Denton Co. Hamburger, let them know that we wouldn't be in their place of business without numerous recommendations from Mean Green faithful. Be friendly and invite them out to the game. Who knows, we might change some attitudes.

Denton Co. Hamburger is on the south side of the square on Hickory Street.  They are in the middle of the block.  This resturant supported Denton High School when I was in school, because so many students ate lunch there.  I have a feeling that if they started to see some customers in Green and White supporting their establishment that they might return the favor. 

I too don't understand why some of the businesses in Denton don't support UNT, but maybe it is a catch-22 type situation.  We don't like them so we don't enter their business, and they don't support UNT because we badmouth them and don't shop in their store.  Maybe we should be the first to enter these businesses, tell them we are in town for the game, and in the case of Denton Co. Hamburger, let them know that we wouldn't be in their place of business without numerous recommendations from Mean Green faithful.  Be friendly and invite them out to the game.  Who knows, we might change some attitudes.

Many of the smaller locally owned businesses put all of their community support with the high schools. They feel that is where they get their biggest bang for the buck. How much can a locally owned small business afford to contribute anyway?

A business has to be the size of a Bill Utter Ford to be able to contribute substanially--and they of course do.

If you are truly Mean Green, don't go to the Texas Hamburgers.  They do not support North Texas and the owner is a typical Dentonite, in that he takes but does not give to the North Texas scene.

When you say typical Dentonite, do you mean the kind that resents UNT because the university 1) desegregated and 2) students voted "wet" in the wet/dry elections back in the early 1970's? That's what I think of. And they are generally grouchy and mean to students.

I don't ask that the Dentonites contribute financially to UNT, but they could lose the attitude that some of them have, that's left over from 30 years ago.

Many of the smaller locally owned businesses put all of their community support with the high schools. They feel that is where they get their biggest bang for the buck. How much can a locally owned small business afford to contribute anyway?

A business has to be the size of a Bill Utter Ford to be able to contribute substanially--and they of course do.

I think this was probably true, especially before the high schools closed their campuses for lunch, but I really don't think they get the high school crowd like they used to. I'm not asking them to give thousands of dollars, but buying add space in the program, giving a couple hundred $$ to the Mean Green Club, advertising to students, etc... isn't too much to ask. Afterall, UNT and TWU nearly double Denton's population when school is in session.

All the Denton bashing on this board is getting really tiresome. I've ignored it for a while but have to speak up. Feel free to jump all over me about it if you want.

I was born and raised here. I'm a second-generation NT alum. My wife is a FOURTH-generation NT alum. This town has a ton of hard-core Mean Green fans, some NT alums, some aren't.

And, believe it or not, there are some people that couldn't give a rat's ass about college football. That doesn't mean we should stage an organized boycott of their business.

I don't know the owners of Denton County Independent Hamburger. I do know that they make a hell of a burger. So what if they don't have a painted-up old "short bus" out at the game.

Besides, this is off-topic.