Rumor on Campus?

UNT_92_Fan

I know this is alittle off subject from Mean green Football but it does affect the team in a sense....

While on campus i heard about a potential new "spirit" group that wants to start up here at NT and "run the talons outta town"

didn't hear much but i heard they want a group more student oriented and not so exclusive....i know from hearing people talk that the Talons rub some people on campus wrong from experiences at games and their attitudes toward your normal NT Fan.

Thats bout all that i could pick up in the Union....

Anyone hear anything about this???? And would you support them?

I know this is alittle off subject from Mean green Football but it does affect the team in a sense....

While on campus i heard about a potential new "spirit" group that wants to start up here at NT and "run the talons outta town"

didn't hear much but i heard they want a group more student oriented and not so exclusive....i know from hearing people talk that the Talons rub some people on campus wrong from experiences at games and their attitudes toward your normal NT Fan.

Thats bout all that i could pick up in the Union....

Anyone hear anything about this???? And would you support them?

this is news to me, but it might be because I am not in the loop on these things seeing as how I am in Talons. But what is meant by rubbing some people the wrong way on campus, esp. at the football games?

i think it's the albino squirrel preservation society. and don't worry- we're not headed anywhere. the squirrel folks have been on us since last year when they wanted to have that squirrel as a secondary school mascot. the student body voted against it...and they [mostly their pres/founder] seems to be blaming talons for it.

really- scrappy the eagle v. some squirrel...come on! where was he before the school's football program turned around? heh.

frankly, i don't mind the ASPS being around, but when their pres puts a chip on his shoulder for us, it kinda bothers me. at any rate- how are they going to support the school traditions? give out those stupid stickers? i don't they realize that people are taking the stickers because they're cute...they're simpy a novelty.

i'd like to see that bugger show up at a talons meeting. and on this board. i'm sure the rest of us here would let him know a few things.

AND- the ASPS has a chapter at other schools- one of which is UT Austin and another at Tx A&M. i dont know how they can be expected to be taken seriously about school traditions when they have a chapter at another school. their mission statement has nothing to do with North Texas.

people know who we are- and they know what we're about. i'd like to skin that squirrel and eat it if this ASPS bozo keeps this up.

talons isn't exclusive. we don't keep certain people out. go to a meeting and you'll see that we don't look, think or act like each other. as for "rubbing people wrong", the only people we're doing that to is the ASPS. i don't see us giving trouble to other UNT fans. it's not like we're telling them not to cheer.

Edited by meangreendork

This is all from an outsider looking in, don't flame me for it.

1) ASPS has never been about spirit and tradition. Talons have nothing to worry from this group.

2) As far as rubbing people the wrong way, it's some of the cheers you do, among other small things.

3) And the exclusivity is that you have to pledge making it kind a fraternity of sorts, which isn't for everyone.

4) Talons, from my observations, is also very political, which can also bother some people.

Well, I am not on campus... but I heard the same thing. They are called Gamma Beta Omega and they mean business. A little competition never hurt any organization, though. They have a hot Lil Sis program, too.

Edited by stebo

it's not so much the talons that do the cheers that bug people- it's some of the alumni...you know who you are tongue.gif

the GBO's seem like they want to give us friendly competition and i can live with that. the ASPS (or at least the founder/pres) seems to have a chip on his shoulder- that's just annoying.

JayDub- you're right about that. hopefully it'll change in the coming semester. maybe it's all the estrogen? biggrin.gif

Edited by meangreendork

I am in campus, and it is not the asps and they are very real. they have talked to me a few times about trying to get me to join, and from what i understand, they are expecting to come our big time during freshman-O

it's not so much the talons that do the cheers that bug people- it's some of the alumni...you know who you are

once a talon, always a .......nevermind

sound_man, talons has a strict policy on sportsmanship. basically, no cheers that say anything bad about opposing teams. the actives (the vast majority) and the pledges follow that to the T. there are a few actives and some alumni who don't. they have to understand that they also represent us when they sit with us near the 50.

Funny thing about some of those rogue alumni....they put you in the position you so haughtily condemn them from. And as far as cheers that demean the other team...cheering period from some of the actives would be a vast improvement.

Talons has lost something recently...motivation for starters. What's in the pipeline as far as improving attendance for the Arkansas State game? How many have made it to the away games? What revolutionary ideas have been brainstormed to wake the sleeping giant that is the UNT student body? Anything?

I would never knock the organization itself...it's the best organization that the campus has ever known....but a little fire in the bellies of the current crop couldn't hurt.

With the increase in student spirit, another spirit group is expected. No big deal.

If I could say one thing to the current Talons, it would be "relax!" I've seen some very pure, heart-of-green actives leave Talons because of inflexible active requirements. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's a tough situation... you want all your members to participate and be excited so you decide to set a number of required events or service projects but at the end of the semester, some of the best may be shy an event for "active status" while ho-hum members are eligible for exec.

Talons is definatly NOT exclusive. In fact, I've always been impressed with how fun and diverse the group has been.

Pledging is fun! It's just a semester of learning the ropes and getting to know each other.

i think it's the albino squirrel preservation society. and don't worry- we're not headed anywhere. the squirrel folks have been on us since last year when they wanted to have that squirrel as a secondary school mascot.

I was talking to one of the members the other day and was told that they just submitted this new design for proposal of a new mascott.

What do you guys think?

user posted image

for those of you who can't see the image here's the link

I am also in Talons along with the GB. But this semester I have not been to many Talons things. I haven't gone to many things because of many reasons. One because of lack of time, another because it has become (at least to me) no longer an organization that goes to events (service or athletic events) because they want to. They go because it is a credit and then don't go to things because they are not credits. So if I understood Emmitt right, Talons has lost "starters" because of this. But Talons do a great job of upholding the traditions. Bonfire would not happen w/o them and of course on game days we have Boomer!!!!!!

I am also in Talons along with the GB.  But this semester I have not been to many Talons things.  I haven't gone to many things because of many reasons.  One because of lack of time, another because it has become (at least to me) no longer an organization that goes to events (service or athletic events) because they want to.  They go because it is a credit and then don't go to things because they are not credits.  So if I understood Emmitt right, Talons has lost "starters" because of this.  But Talons do a great job of upholding the traditions.  Bonfire would not happen w/o them and of course on game days we have Boomer!!!!!!

I would agree with you, I think the idea of the game credits is obsurd, I mean how much of a novel concept is it for the spirit organization to go to the games and want to be there to cheer on their team. I mean if you are just doing it to get your credit and really don't want to be at the games, I think you picked the wrong organization.

Well, I am not on campus... but I heard the same thing.  They are called Gamma Beta Omega and they mean business.  A little competition never hurt any organization, though.  They have a hot Lil Sis program, too.

Yeah, I've heard of GBO, too... But rumor is, the Lil Sis program isn't that hot... ::shrug:: wink.gif

P.S. No fair talking about GBO without me, JayDub and Stebo...

Edited by untangel4

With the increase in student spirit, another spirit group is expected. No big deal.

If I could say one thing to the current Talons, it would be "relax!" I've seen some very pure, heart-of-green actives leave Talons because of inflexible active requirements. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's a tough situation... you want all your members to participate and be excited so you decide to set a number of required events or service projects but at the end of the semester, some of the best may be shy an event for "active status" while ho-hum members are eligible for exec.

Talons is definatly NOT exclusive. In fact, I've always been impressed with how fun and diverse the group has been.

Pledging is fun! It's just a semester of learning the ropes and getting to know each other.

There was a faction of Talons that split off in the late 80's/early 90's and formed a new organzation...that quickly died. At least I remember being told that by a few of the "oldtimers"(of course now I'm considered one too). From what I understand the reason for the alternate group was the same as I'm reading now.

I've come to the opinion whenever the group becomes really large, huge factions come into play. Hell back in the day when we were down to like 7 actives, we STILL have wars within membership. There are always going to be differing viewpoints over where the group should go.

The problem with *requirements* for the group probably goes back to the '60 reformation. You want folks to be active in things, but you hate to punish members that can't participate for whatever reason. Especially since like Latham said, occasionally these "inactive" members are among our best and brightest.

Edited by CMJ

The problem with *requirements* for the group probably goes back to the '60 reformation.  You want folks to be active in things, but you hate to punish members that can't participate for whatever reason.  Especially since like Latham said, occasionally these "inactive" mebers are among our best and brightest.

Sounds like a certain fraternity I know as well. ph34r.gif It's a common theme among campus organizations.

A frat started by a former student and an NCTC student?

Yeah, they can take Talons. smile.gif

Seriously, I could not agree more with AustinTalon in his assesment.

A new spirit organization would be great, do the math:

more spirit orgs = more spirited students = a good thing

Edited by IronMan4