UNT Homecoming Theme 2015 - Portland State

Harry

A lot of asinine comments in hear. It seems some are bent on keeping UNT fandom a small, in their mind exclusive club. Guess what? That doesn't benefit UNT. 

Their should be consequences for this crap schedule and the competitive disadvantages it places on the coach and players. There won't be.

Because we are North Texas, and we don't care.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I however will be bringing a sign stating: "Denton could easily out-hipster Portland if it so chose."

Oooh...  I don't know.  I went to Oregon for vacation this summer.  Portland was pretty up there in the hipster level. The difference is that Denton has early twenty-somethings with beards while Portland has the thirtysomethings with designer strollers, gentrifying mortgages, and strange organic supermarkets with fair trade chinos in the men's clothing department.

• Upvote 2

Wow are you telling people of fan board what a good fan is and you are the roll model?. Should we have a competition on who is the best UNT fan ever, well  after your done patting yourself on the back of course? 

I doubt many are worried about anyone on this board being at game  or what your definition of a good fan is. Unfortunately  we depend on the masses for most of our attendance or what most may consider the casual fan and worse for us we deal with a fickle North Texas casual fan group. Nothing about this season is scheduled well and now setting this game against Portland on Texas OU weekend as our homecoming is just another insult to injury. 

Or as fans we are not supposed worry about coaches, ADs, play-calling, recruiting and scheduling? Maybe we should just take a few lines  from the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" 

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do and die:

You are clearly more interested in making assumption, then just going off what was said. I did not say I am a good fan or a great fan. My back gets no pats (hell I am hardly able to reach my back). The fact that it is TX OU weekend should not matter at all. If people want to watch that crap go ahead. I went to UNT, and will watch a UNT game over that any time. Which is what I stated in the first post, which did not say anything about other fans but me. Quit trying so hard to find a reason to argue. We have enough valid reasons to complain as a fan base.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

Wow are you telling people of fan board what a good fan is and you are the roll model?. Should we have a competition on who is the best UNT fan ever, well  after your done patting yourself on the back of course? 

I doubt many are worried about anyone on this board being at game  or what your definition of a good fan is. Unfortunately  we depend on the masses for most of our attendance or what most may consider the casual fan and worse for us we deal with a fickle North Texas casual fan group. Nothing about this season is scheduled well and now setting this game against Portland on Texas OU weekend as our homecoming is just another insult to injury. 

Or as fans we are not supposed worry about coaches, ADs, play-calling, recruiting and scheduling? Maybe we should just take a few lines  from the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" 

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do and die:

This whole thing seems to have hit a nerve with you.

No one even brought up the "bad fan" concept, but you.  And you do seem to over react to anyone else posting a concept other than the one you stated regarding the UT-OU game.  Chill...no one is calling anyone a "bad fan".  But, there are levels of "fandom", and anyone who would choose to attend or watch UT-OU on TV in lieu of attending UNT's homecoming game is certainly not a solid fan of UNT.  That does NOT make anyone a bad fan!  It is a personal decision....if some random school's game is more important than one's own school's homecoming game, then pray tell, how can that person rightly claim to be an ardent UNT fan?  Either way is fine...UNT needs all the fans it can get, rabid, dedicated, true green, t-shirt, occasional or a fan qualified by who UNT is playing.  All are good.  No need to get defensive about it.  Just is what it is....show up when you want.  Butts in seats are always welcome.  Not sure what good it does to rag on the "home team" about the schedule and loudly proclaim why one won't be attending, but if that provides rationalization for not attending, cool.  No problem.  We'll see these folks whenever they feel like showing up.  It's all good...it's college football, tailgating and great fall atmosphere.

Oh, you mean like the folks here who loudly proclaim why they won't be attending UNT football and/or basketball games?  Those folks keeping the UNT fandom a small exclusive club?  Because it seems to me, people actually attending and supporting these programs are expanding the base, no trying to keep anything exclusive.

But, I do agree that your comment here (not hear) was pretty asinine.  Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way, Yuengling is in the house...see you for the first home game with one or two in hand for you....that is, if you don't find some other random school's game that you would rather attend.  I'd have to give those beers to Thor in that case.

This new GMG.com update is killing me....I try to reply to UNT90 and it ends up as a UNT90 post in my reply to KingDL.  This is just crazy....still lots of bug using the I-pad with this new update...just crazy.  And, once it happens I can't fix it!  Sorry all, for the confusion....my bad!

This new GMG.com update is killing me....I try to reply to UNT90 and it ends up as a UNT90 post in my reply to KingDL.  This is just crazy....still lots of bug using the I-pad with this new update...just crazy.  And, once it happens I can't fix it!  Sorry all, for the confusion....my bad!

One possibility is that the software saves your progress. If you don't post for some reason then any subsequent quote in the same thread brings the old post back to you. It also seems to merge two posts if made back to back. Or it really is something up with posting from an iPad.

One possibility is that the software saves your progress. If you don't post for some reason then any subsequent quote in the same thread brings the old post back to you. It also seems to merge two posts if made back to back. Or it really is something up with posting from an iPad.

Yeah that save feature does get a little tricky on the ipad. 

Took me a while to figure out, but if you tap below the quote (saved or new), you should get a red return (as in keyboard return) symbol. If you tap that red symbol, it adds a line so you can start typing.

Same thing on the desktop if you hover your mouse over the bottom edge of the quote box. Hope that helps folks out.

Who here isn't attending simply because the opponent is Portland State?  I keep hearing folks here say stuff like this, but find it nutty that anyone who calls them self a Mean Green fan would stay away from a homecoming game based on the opponent.  Would any real fan do such a thing?  Really?  Boggles my mind that that thought would even cross a fan's mind much less that someone would actually stay away.  That's something a "t-shirt fan" might do in my opinion.  But not a true fan.

Here and a T-shirt fan has never had endearing quality to it.

If we're worried about fans coming to Apogee on the same day as UT-OU, you're worried about the wrong fans.

If fans are going to UT-OU, it wouldn't matter if UNT were playing A&M at Apogee.  Those fans simply are not coming to Apogee... because they're UT or OU fans, not UNT fans.

Implying bad fans to me, but experience says that our causal fan would rather attend Texas OU parties than go to a North Texas game. Homecoming is one of our better attended events and if the last 15 years as thought me we will have a big hit to this attendance. 

RV can be a real turd. We get that. As a fan you support your team, especially on home coming. It is my wife's birthday and we will still be there. Now I will be spending a huge amount of money on sushi that night and even more at the bar, to get to go but I made it happen. Why? Because I am a fan and the players deserve our support. Also, who gives a shit when the UT OU game is! I went to school at UNT. So, I support UNT.

Seems that you are instructing on what it takes to be a good fan to me.

You are clearly more interested in making assumption, then just going off what was said. I did not say I am a good fan or a great fan. My back gets no pats (hell I am hardly able to reach my back). The fact that it is TX OU weekend should not matter at all. If people want to watch that crap go ahead. I went to UNT, and will watch a UNT game over that any time. Which is what I stated in the first post, which did not say anything about other fans but me. Quit trying so hard to find a reason to argue. We have enough valid reasons to complain as a fan base.

Maybe you should read what your write and then join us in reality of what happens here, not what should of, could of,  or would of. My interest is not what you would do if you can understand that, I know if someone is on this board they are usually more than a casual fan. I don't need to know you are dropping cash because its your wife's birthday to prove it. Follow? 

This whole thing seems to have hit a nerve with you.

No one even brought up the "bad fan" concept, but you.  And you do seem to over react to anyone else posting a concept other than the one you stated regarding the UT-OU game.  Chill...no one is calling anyone a "bad fan".  But, there are levels of "fandom", and anyone who would choose to attend or watch UT-OU on TV in lieu of attending UNT's homecoming game is certainly not a solid fan of UNT.  That does NOT make anyone a bad fan!  It is a personal decision....if some random school's game is more important than one's own school's homecoming game, then pray tell, how can that person rightly claim to be an ardent UNT fan?  Either way is fine...UNT needs all the fans it can get, rabid, dedicated, true green, t-shirt, occasional or a fan qualified by who UNT is playing.  All are good.  No need to get defensive about it.  Just is what it is....show up when you want.  Butts in seats are always welcome.  Not sure what good it does to rag on the "home team" about the schedule and loudly proclaim why one won't be attending, but if that provides rationalization for not attending, cool.  No problem.  We'll see these folks whenever they feel like showing up.  It's all good...it's college football, tailgating and great fall atmosphere.

This schedule was totally avoidable and I have been mad, this just put me over the top. This 12 straight games and two body bag games and Tennessee late, nearly a death sentence to our team. Only five home games. Rice game starts at 1:30 pm if it is hot our normal base wont make it.  We better come out of the gate hot because it is only getting worse. 

Several said what a fan does so it is implied that fans that don't follow these rule are not good fans. Look above. 

I am really sick of what is going on and the "lets make lemonade out of lemons"  and burying my head in the sand is not for me. 

I won't go. I didn't go when Texas Southern or Nicholls State came to Apogee and I won't go to Portland State, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian, either. If we aren't going to reward the fanbase with teams that people want to watch in OOC play--as was promised to us when Apogee was being voted on and being built to solicit season tickets and club seats--then I am not wasting my time and money to attend a game that provides absolutely nothing positive for our overall program. That Nicholls State game last year was the perfect example--we beat them by 70+ points, but didn't provide us with one bit of help against actual FBS teams. Texas Southern was the exact same in 2012. Portland State will be the same this season.

You can play the "bad fan" card all you want. And you all can enjoy plenty of room at Apogee when these bad FCS teams come play here that bring literally nobody with them. Its just pathetic to me that the few alums who come back to watch the Homecoming game each year get to see us play Portland State. Make that the Parents Weekend or something, but I am certain that the AD and BOR knows that the only chance this game has to have actual Butts in Seats of near 15k was to put it on that weekend, so we continue to get stellar leadership toward revenue sports at a school that really either needs to schedule football like other lower-level G5 schools do or face the reality that keeping on this same path will ensure that you never give your program the best chance to have a program altering win at home. Hell, if you are going to play FCS games, play someone who will bring somebody and will test you, like Sam Houston or SFA. I'd actually break my own rule of not watching FCS teams at Apogee if either of those two teams played here. All of the others we have played or will play shouldn't even be able to finish within 4 TDs of a real program, just because of the scholarship rule alone and the time of the year we play them. And just like when we have played Eastern SBCUSA teams, maybe 50 people max come from their fanbase to watch this game in Denton. At least SFA and SHSU would bring in a few thousand more to Apogee, if for nothing else that our fans work with and leave with alums of those schools and they join us at the game, as well as their own fans just making their way here to watch them play against a team in the state that they know. But, no, we schedule Nicholls State, Portland State, and Liberty. Good luck with all that...

I will not lie and say that I will never bitch about having to play FCS teams. I absolutely hate playing them, I truly believe its just the easy way out for RV to just do this. However, I will not rob our guys of support for what our lazy AD is doing. I know they work hard, and have no control over this ugly scheduling we see. I will be out there on October 10th, watching Portland State being run through a meat grinder....

Watching Mean Green football, is better then no Mean Green football.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

Great, the folks you bring will make up for the massive number we will lose because of the TU-OU game or the fact that we are playing Portland State.  Thank you for helping to fill those slots.

Haha well as long as my 3 make up for the 3 going to the OUT-U game, then we should be fine!

Maybe we should just take a few lines  from the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" 

Can we take a few lines from "Tripping the Light Fantastic," too?

I will not lie and say that I will never bitch about having to play FCS teams. I absolutely hate playing them

I don't mind playing the ones people have heard of.  At least with Portland State, we don't have to all ask (or answer when other people ask), "Where the hell is that?"  That tends to happen with the Nicholls/McNeese/Samford/etc.