UNT Homecoming Theme 2015 - Portland State

Harry

Who here isn't attending simply because the opponent is Portland State?  I keep hearing folks here say stuff like this, but find it nutty that anyone who calls them self a Mean Green fan would stay away from a homecoming game based on the opponent.  Would any real fan do such a thing?  Really?  Boggles my mind that that thought would even cross a fan's mind much less that someone would actually stay away.  That's something a "t-shirt fan" might do in my opinion.  But not a feat fan.

I agree.  To the average person, this is no worse than playing Middle Tennessee or F(I or A)U.  The true fan knows the difference, but would be going to the game regardless.  IMHO.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Who here isn't attending simply because the opponent is Portland State?  I keep hearing folks here say stuff like this, but find it nutty that anyone who calls them self a Mean Green fan would stay away from a homecoming game based on the opponent.  Would any real fan do such a thing?  Really?  Boggles my mind that that thought would even cross a fan's mind much less that someone would actually stay away.  That's something a "t-shirt fan" might do in my opinion.  But not a true fan.

Sorry KRAM1 I don't agree, I think playing Portland state for homecoming is a hit against the normal homecoming crowd, maybe not a huge hit just another hit. 

But I will let you define what a True Fan is, I am worried about my experience in reality watching games at NT and how our attendance tends to fluctuate. 

So just to be clear we are playing a FCS Team for homecoming the same day as Texas - OU game. So yes it is hit on its own and big hit against the Texas-OU.  

Is your mind still Boggled? 

So our theme should be our AD is an idiot and should be fired. 

Edited by KingDL1

Who here isn't attending simply because the opponent is Portland State?  I keep hearing folks here say stuff like this, but find it nutty that anyone who calls them self a Mean Green fan would stay away from a homecoming game based on the opponent.  Would any real fan do such a thing?  Really?  Boggles my mind that that thought would even cross a fan's mind much less that someone would actually stay away.  That's something a "t-shirt fan" might do in my opinion.  But not a true fan.

I won't go. I didn't go when Texas Southern or Nicholls State came to Apogee and I won't go to Portland State, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian, either. If we aren't going to reward the fanbase with teams that people want to watch in OOC play--as was promised to us when Apogee was being voted on and being built to solicit season tickets and club seats--then I am not wasting my time and money to attend a game that provides absolutely nothing positive for our overall program. That Nicholls State game last year was the perfect example--we beat them by 70+ points, but didn't provide us with one bit of help against actual FBS teams. Texas Southern was the exact same in 2012. Portland State will be the same this season.

You can play the "bad fan" card all you want. And you all can enjoy plenty of room at Apogee when these bad FCS teams come play here that bring literally nobody with them. Its just pathetic to me that the few alums who come back to watch the Homecoming game each year get to see us play Portland State. Make that the Parents Weekend or something, but I am certain that the AD and BOR knows that the only chance this game has to have actual Butts in Seats of near 15k was to put it on that weekend, so we continue to get stellar leadership toward revenue sports at a school that really either needs to schedule football like other lower-level G5 schools do or face the reality that keeping on this same path will ensure that you never give your program the best chance to have a program altering win at home. Hell, if you are going to play FCS games, play someone who will bring somebody and will test you, like Sam Houston or SFA. I'd actually break my own rule of not watching FCS teams at Apogee if either of those two teams played here. All of the others we have played or will play shouldn't even be able to finish within 4 TDs of a real program, just because of the scholarship rule alone and the time of the year we play them. And just like when we have played Eastern SBCUSA teams, maybe 50 people max come from their fanbase to watch this game in Denton. At least SFA and SHSU would bring in a few thousand more to Apogee, if for nothing else that our fans work with and leave with alums of those schools and they join us at the game, as well as their own fans just making their way here to watch them play against a team in the state that they know. But, no, we schedule Nicholls State, Portland State, and Liberty. Good luck with all that...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

I won't go. I didn't go when Texas Southern or Nicholls State came to Apogee and I won't go to Portland State, Liberty, Lamar, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian, either. If we aren't going to reward the fanbase with teams that people want to watch in OOC play--as was promised to us when Apogee was being voted on and being built to solicit season tickets and club seats--then I am not wasting my time and money to attend a game that provides absolutely nothing positive for our overall program. That Nicholls State game last year was the perfect example--we beat them by 70+ points, but didn't provide us with one bit of help against actual FBS teams. Texas Southern was the exact same in 2012. Portland State will be the same this season.

You can play the "bad fan" card all you want. And you all can enjoy plenty of room at Apogee when these bad FCS teams come play here that bring literally nobody with them. Its just pathetic to me that the few alums who come back to watch the Homecoming game each year get to see us play Portland State. Make that the Parents Weekend or something, but I am certain that the AD and BOR knows that the only chance this game has to have actual Butts in Seats of near 15k was to put it on that weekend, so we continue to get stellar leadership toward revenue sports at a school that really either needs to schedule football like other lower-level G5 schools do or face the reality that keeping on this same path will ensure that you never give your program the best chance to have a program altering win at home. Hell, if you are going to play FCS games, play someone who will bring somebody and will test you, like Sam Houston or SFA. I'd actually break my own rule of not watching FCS teams at Apogee if either of those two teams played here. All of the others we have played or will play shouldn't even be able to finish within 4 TDs of a real program, just because of the scholarship rule alone and the time of the year we play them. And just like when we have played Eastern SBCUSA teams, maybe 50 people max come from their fanbase to watch this game in Denton. At least SFA and SHSU would bring in a few thousand more to Apogee, if for nothing else that our fans work with and leave with alums of those schools and they join us at the game, as well as their own fans just making their way here to watch them play against a team in the state that they know. But, no, we schedule Nicholls State, Portland State, and Liberty. Good luck with all that...

I'll be there cheering for the kids, not the AD.

Do it for the kids!

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If we're worried about fans coming to Apogee on the same day as UT-OU, you're worried about the wrong fans.

If fans are going to UT-OU, it wouldn't matter if UNT were playing A&M at Apogee.  Those fans simply are not coming to Apogee... because they're UT or OU fans, not UNT fans.

You are right I am worried about attendance. I am not worried about the quality of the Fans as defined in this thread. 

Well I wish we had enough Super Fans to fill Stadium each home game. But back to reality, unless I missed something. Hell we have a Stadium smaller than our student body and we can't fill it in the best of times. 

If we're worried about fans coming to Apogee on the same day as UT-OU, you're worried about the wrong fans.

If fans are going to UT-OU, it wouldn't matter if UNT were playing A&M at Apogee.  Those fans simply are not coming to Apogee... because they're UT or OU fans, not UNT fans.

We won't ever get to find out--we might play Texas A&M--Commerce on that weekend or New Mexico State, but we won't ever host a team that a general fan, whether they are connected to UNT as a student, alum, etc...or not, except for SMU or Army.

Its like when we played Ball State. It was hot that day, but the majority of non-diehard UNT fans  in the Metroplex were watching Johnny Football and A&M play Alabama that afternoon. Until we give those people a reason to watch us play instead of staying at home to watch these P5 giants play, this will continue to be an issue.

If I were the AD, I'd work for a schedule that never included an FCS team, meaning a 5 game season some years, but also meaning that we will have a marquee OOC game in Denton on the years we play only 5 home games. Then, I'd work it to where we try to avoid doing two things--playing a day game on Texas-OU weekend in Denton and playing a home conference game on the weekend after Thanksgiving. Granted, the last one is hard because of the CUSA schedule, but I'd try to make sure we didn't have that weekend game in Denton. The former, though, seems easy to me. You either schedule a bye that weekend or if you have a home game, you play at night, starting at 7:00, meaning that any students or fans that want to watch Texas/OU play in Dallas will never have an excuse not to get to watch UNT play--the latest that game ever kicks off is at 2:30, meaning the game ends around 6:00 or so. That leaves you plenty of time to get over to Apogee to watch us play, if kickoff is 7:00, if you were watching the game on TV at home or at an establishment.

But, instead, we schedule homecoming against an FCS team from the Pacific Northwest,  that absolutely no one cares about in Texas, and we will probably kickoff in the afternoon. If we get actual butts-in-seats of over 15k, that would be a big surprise to me--and that if we kicked off in the evening so as to avoid the Texas-OU conundrum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We won't ever get to find out--we might play Texas A&M--Commerce on that weekend or New Mexico State, but we won't ever host a team that a general fan, whether they are connected to UNT as a student, alum, etc...or not, except for SMU or Army.

Its like when we played Ball State. It was hot that day, but the majority of non-diehard UNT fans  in the Metroplex were watching Johnny Football and A&M play Alabama that afternoon. Until we give those people a reason to watch us play instead of staying at home to watch these P5 giants play, this will continue to be an issue.

If I were the AD, I'd work for a schedule that never included an FCS team, meaning a 5 game season some years, but also meaning that we will have a marquee OOC game in Denton on the years we play only 5 home games. Then, I'd work it to where we try to avoid doing two things--playing a day game on Texas-OU weekend in Denton and playing a home conference game on the weekend after Thanksgiving. Granted, the last one is hard because of the CUSA schedule, but I'd try to make sure we didn't have that weekend game in Denton. The former, though, seems easy to me. You either schedule a bye that weekend or if you have a home game, you play at night, starting at 7:00, meaning that any students or fans that want to watch Texas/OU play in Dallas will never have an excuse not to get to watch UNT play--the latest that game ever kicks off is at 2:30, meaning the game ends around 6:00 or so. That leaves you plenty of time to get over to Apogee to watch us play, if kickoff is 7:00, if you were watching the game on TV at home or at an establishment.

But, instead, we schedule homecoming against an FCS team from the Pacific Northwest,  that absolutely no one cares about in Texas, and we will probably kickoff in the afternoon. If we get actual butts-in-seats of over 15k, that would be a big surprise to me--and that if we kicked off in the evening so as to avoid the Texas-OU conundrum.

Agreed agreed agreed, if we play a FCS team, it should always be a Texas school regardless of occasion. We don't need to search across the country.

Obviously I have no idea, but a few questions come to mind: Wouldn't an FCS opponent be less expensive for us to play in if the opposing school is at least in the same time zone? Did we even attempt to find one of the eight FCS programs to play in Texas? Do we not care/think about selling more concessions to (larger) traveling opposing fan bases?
 Office bragging rights anyone?

On a lighter note, I guess I'm allowed to walk pretty tall on the streets of Thibodaux, Louisiana after the Nicholls game last year.

I always get a few non-attendees out to homecoming. Some even come in to the game with us. They enjoy it when they come into the stadium, but have a lot more fun when NT wins. We usually suck and that is how our alumni remember us. We play a patsy for homecoming (like most teams do - see how many have scheduled us over the last 10 years) and these alumni have a good time watching us win and are more likely to accept another invite down the road.

And dammit can we quit using the "that team's fans won't travel here" argument? 

• Upvote 3

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm DRIVING from Arizona with 3 kids under 10.  They have to leave before HC, but unless something drastic happens, I'll be there.  We're having a Moot Court Reunion so I will be with all of them and should be able to drag at least 3 or 4 to the game with me that wouldn't normally go.

Do we need to buy Marty McFly hats?

• Upvote 1

Yep.  If you care more about the UT-OU game than attending homecoming at UNT then, you really are a causal "if I have nothing better to do UNT fan". Which, in itself, is plenty OK.  We need all "casual fans" we can get whenever they care to attend. No need trying to cover it up with some rationalization of who UNT is playing.  It is homecoming and a win is usually nice to have on homecoming days.  Seems lots of teams schedule what they think are winnable games for homecoming.

But, what a hoot I it is trying to justify non-attendance based on the opponent and/or the fact that it is the same day as the UT-OU game.

I don't care where one's loyalties lie, just be honest about it and stop trying to justify it one way or the other.  Come don't come...personal decision.  No need to fabricate some random justification.

I'm DRIVING from Arizona with 3 kids under 10.  They have to leave before HC, but unless something drastic happens, I'll be there.  We're having a Moot Court Reunion so I will be with all of them and should be able to drag at least 3 or 4 to the game with me that wouldn't normally go.

Do we need to buy Marty McFly hats?

Great, the folks you bring will make up for the massive number we will lose because of the TU-OU game or the fact that we are playing Portland State.  Thank you for helping to fill those slots.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

RV can be a real turd. We get that. As a fan you support your team, especially on home coming. It is my wife's birthday and we will still be there. Now I will be spending a huge amount of money on sushi that night and even more at the bar, to get to go but I made it happen. Why? Because I am a fan and the players deserve our support. Also, who gives a shit when the UT OU game is! I went to school at UNT. So, I support UNT.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

RV can be a real turd. We get that. As a fan you support your team, especially on home coming. It is my wife's birthday and we will still be there. Now I will be spending a huge amount of money on sushi that night and even more at the bar, to get to go but I made it happen. Why? Because I am a fan and the players deserve our support. Also, who gives a shit when the UT OU game is! I went to school at UNT. So, I support UNT.

Wow are you telling people of fan board what a good fan is and you are the roll model?. Should we have a competition on who is the best UNT fan ever, well  after your done patting yourself on the back of course? 

I doubt many are worried about anyone on this board being at game  or what your definition of a good fan is. Unfortunately  we depend on the masses for most of our attendance or what most may consider the casual fan and worse for us we deal with a fickle North Texas casual fan group. Nothing about this season is scheduled well and now setting this game against Portland on Texas OU weekend as our homecoming is just another insult to injury. 

Or as fans we are not supposed worry about coaches, ADs, play-calling, recruiting and scheduling? Maybe we should just take a few lines  from the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" 

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do and die: