MGB -- UNT adds Notre Dame transfer

Brett Vito

JUNIOR SEASON (2014-15): Has been hampered by injuries throughout his career ... able to play in two games during the 2013-14 season ... status for upcoming campaign is uncertain due to reoccurring knee problems ... saw action during Notre Dame's foreign tour of Italy in August ... permanently blind (severed an optical nerve) in left eye following an accident in a pickup game in July 2011 that left his playing career in doubt ... originally slated to join Notre Dame program in fall 2011, but because of eye injury, he did not enroll until spring semester of the 2011-12 campaign.

• Upvote 1

No one saw that we are losing another player?? We had 13 ship players, adding this guy we will still be at 13, and he is on a ship. Benford'd again... Addition by subtraction. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If in fact whatever kid did nothing to lose his ship, that's a chicken ^*%# move on Benfords part. I don't care what anyone is doing, doesn't make it right. Honor your commitment to the kid unless they do something worth losing said ship for. I figured if anyone you mr. Basketball would want that for our athletes. 

• Upvote 2

AWESOME!

Fall classes start in 10 days. I can't wait to see who spontaneously decided they didn't want to be here and transfers out of their own free will at the most fortuitous time (for Benford) again. 

I just hope, for whichever poor bastard's sake, that South Dakota has a scholarship open. 

Pretty sure pro scouts have been on campus recently.  Probably scooped up another one.  You can't blame Benford for cranking out professional players.  Benford and Calipari just accept the fact that their players may turn pro at any time without notice.

Blind in one eye?  I feel for the dude but this just makes zero sense to me

Don't forget about the limp.  And one arm is shorter than the other.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Incredibly bad luck for him.  Sounds like s freaky accident.  Anyone who has every played any amount of pickup basketball has undoubtedly been hit in the eye plenty.  Feel bad for him, but he sounds like he has remained positive throughout.  I have heard one of the hardest things is depth perception with mono vision.

Hopefully he can bring some intangibles coming from a top 20 program as well as some strong basketball skill.

• Upvote 2

I think there was a pretty good player at Baylor recently who was blind in one eye.

Yes, Isaiah Austin was blind in one eye from playing little league baseball. He was also a McDonald's All-American, played well in college as was supposed to be a 1st round pick before being diagnosed with a heart problem that could kill him during heavy exertion. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, Isaiah Austin was blind in one eye from playing little league baseball. He was also a McDonald's All-American, played well in college as was supposed to be a 1st round pick before being diagnosed with a heart problem that could kill him during heavy exertion. 

The key difference is he lost his back in middle school and had 3-4 years to adjust.  Still, if this kid can take up space in the post and block shots we may have something.

Katenda was a top 100 recruit out of high school. I don't know if he will start for you guys, but I think he can contribute. Even in garbage minutes at the end of some laughers last year, you could see he has talent - can shoot a 15 footer, post up, put it on the floor and so forth. Once he got so far behind with a system like ND's, he was never going to catch up. Brey usually only goes seven deep for meaningful minutes once league play starts. 

The real travesty is that Katenda wasn't given another year of eligibility. Hope he helps your program.

• Upvote 4

Katenda was a top 100 recruit out of high school. I don't know if he will start for you guys, but I think he can contribute. Even in garbage minutes at the end of some laughers last year, you could see he has talent - can shoot a 15 footer, post up, put it on the floor and so forth. Once he got so far behind with a system like ND's, he was never going to catch up. Brey usually only goes seven deep for meaningful minutes once league play starts.

The real travesty is that Katenda wasn't given another year of eligibility. Hope he helps your program.

he should be able to appeal that

• Upvote 1

Thank you Melvin. I do hope the kid does well.

• Upvote 2

You can't be granted a sixth year until you have exhausted the first five

This coming season will be Katenda's fourth year of college basketball. Though he graduated high school in the spring of 2011, he didn't enroll at ND until January 2012. He didn't suit up for his first season, 2012-13. He graduated in 3 1/2 years.

If he doesn't get an extra year of eligibility, the whole process is even worse than I thought, and that is a ver, very low bar.

• Upvote 3

Is there a chance he has 2 years to play?

2011 - Graduated HS but did not enroll

2012-13 Enrolled but did not play (Freshman)

2013-2014 Redshirt Freshman?

2014-2015 Redshirt Sophmore?

2015-2016 Redshirt Junior?

2016-2017 Redshirt Senior?

Any reason this would not be the case (assuming he did not enroll in the fall of 2011 upon graduation)?

• Upvote 2

Is there a chance he has 2 years to play?

2011 - Graduated HS but did not enroll

2012-13 Enrolled but did not play (Freshman)

2013-2014 Redshirt Freshman?

2014-2015 Redshirt Sophmore?

2015-2016 Redshirt Junior?

2016-2017 Redshirt Senior?

Any reason this would not be the case (assuming he did not enroll in the fall of 2011 upon graduation)?

The five-year clock would expire in at the end of the fall semester, 2016. However, there are extraordinary circumstances: recovering from losing sight in one eye and then a knee injury in 2012-2013. The kid has already graduated. I don't see why you would not want to reward him with an extra year of eligibility, but as I said, I have seen all sorts of strange decisions by the NCAA. I sincerely hope you get him for two years. He deserves it. 

• Upvote 1