MGB -- UNT adds Notre Dame transfer

Brett Vito

I just wish we knew who he was replacing. He is a post player and we know Combs is coming back. So Brice, Fuller, and Thomas seem to be the options. Would be nice if it was a player who didn't contribute a lot last year like Ward or Eaglin. Wondering when we will find out. :/

• Upvote 1

The five-year clock would expire in at the end of the fall semester, 2016. However, there are extraordinary circumstances: recovering from losing sight in one eye and then a knee injury in 2012-2013. The kid has already graduated. I don't see why you would not want to reward him with an extra year of eligibility, but as I said, I have seen all sorts of strange decisions by the NCAA. I sincerely hope you get him for two years. He deserves it-20. 

So he will really only need one extra semester and not a full year.  It would sure seem like he would have a good case.  The trouble will be that it sounds like he was insured during his redshirt year.  As far as I know, the NCAA would not rule until after the fall semester of 2016.

I just wish we knew who he was replacing. He is a post player and we know Combs is coming back. So Brice, Fuller, and Thomas seem to be the options. Would be nice if it was a player who didn't contribute a lot last year like Ward or Eaglin. Wondering when we will find out. :/

so Eaglin or Ward should have their ship taken because they didn't contribute? You make it so difficult to even venture into the BBALL thread. It is not their fault Benford and co missed on their evaluation. Does Mac just pull ships on guys he and his staff have missed on?? No they finish their career and it is what it is. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

so Eaglin or Ward should have their ship taken because they didn't contribute? You make it so difficult to even venture into the BBALL thread. It is not their fault Benford and co missed on their evaluation. Does Mac just pull ships on guys he and his staff have missed on?? No they finish their career and it is what it is. 

I am saying I rather have them over someone else. You rather loose Combs or Reese?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The five-year clock would expire in at the end of the fall semester, 2016. However, there are extraordinary circumstances: recovering from losing sight in one eye and then a knee injury in 2012-2013. The kid has already graduated. I don't see why you would not want to reward him with an extra year of eligibility, but as I said, I have seen all sorts of strange decisions by the NCAA. I sincerely hope you get him for two years. He deserves it. 

And if you were familiar with our lack of luck getting favorable decisions from the NCAA, you would be even more skeptical...

• Upvote 2

I am saying I rather have them over someone else. You rather loose Combs or Reese?

I am saying I would rather have a HC who honors his offer to kids whether or not the kid pans out. It is not the kids fault the coaching staff missed on their evaluation.  We have 8 new players this year..... Benford is 30-33 overall it ain't the kids home boy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am saying I would rather have a HC who honors his offer to kids whether or not the kid pans out. It is not the kids fault the coaching staff missed on their evaluation.  We have 8 new players this year..... Benford is 30-33 overall it ain't the kids home boy. 

I am not blaming the athletes or the coaches. I just want them to win. New coach new players .... I just want to win and enjoy going to the games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If Benford runs a kid off for being a non factor, he would hardly be in the minority when it comes to NCAA coaches.

the problem is, he's been running them off, then replacing them with other non-factors, and running them off, and replacing them with non-factors... happened the moment he walked in the door.  Except, some of the non-factors wind up actually contributing at their new schools.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I am just saying that in basketball, more than the other sports, the scholarship is a year to year proposition.  The coaches started it and now the kids are compounding it by transferring in record numbers.  The whole system is pretty messed up and not much loyalty on either side.  Sad, really.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't think Benford is all that unusual when it comes to not renewing ships.   I think Jones was a lot more of the exception, as he treated players much better.  A lot of programs are revolving doors as players are quickly jettisoned if they don't perform.   I think it is unforgettable this late.   However, at this point we don't know if a player didn't qualify or was told his ship would not be renewed months ago.  

Frankly to me, this player doesn't appear to be the type that you are going to make room for, but rather a last minute substitution. 

AWESOME!

Fall classes start in 10 days. I can't wait to see who spontaneously decided they didn't want to be here and transfers out of their own free will at the most fortuitous time (for Benford) again. 

I just hope, for whichever poor bastard's sake, that South Dakota has a scholarship open. 

Aniefiok has had a foot out the door since early last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The five-year clock would expire in at the end of the fall semester, 2016. However, there are extraordinary circumstances: recovering from losing sight in one eye and then a knee injury in 2012-2013. The kid has already graduated. I don't see why you would not want to reward him with an extra year of eligibility, but as I said, I have seen all sorts of strange decisions by the NCAA. I sincerely hope you get him for two years. He deserves it. 

agree 100%

Edited by Harry

Benford doesnt want to be here. He wants to bring in JUCO's and transfers in hopes of hitting it big one year and then he is gone to a different job. We as a fan base dont want him here either because he doesnt know how to run a program. Wish the bball program could be fixed.

The only other job he is leaving here for as a head coach is at a high school somewhere.

Benford's future is his past--he will go back to being the "recruiter" at a P5 school somewhere, using his Texas ties to get his next gig.

• Upvote 1