Going Mean Green: Warren excited about transfer to UNT

Harry

It’s been a tough two years for Plano West girls basketball alum Tyara Warren.

In what should logically be two of the best back-to-back years in a college athlete’s life, Warren saw her final high school season end abruptly with the Lady Wolves when she tore her ACL in November 2013.

Fully recovered and primed to make an instant impact for Mike Carey’s squad at West Virginia the following year, Warren’s freshman season in college was another rough go, as she played in 18 games (no starts) through February and averaged just 2.4 points per game this past season.

Then, news broke that Warren was suspended indefinitely for undisclosed reasons in mid-February. She announced her intention to transfer at the end of the semester, ending her brief tenure in the Big 12.

West Virginia’s loss is the University of North Texas’ gain. Warren announced on Twitter in May that she would be joining the Mean Green to resurrect her collegiate career and return closer to where it all began for her.

“[UNT head coach Jalie Mitchell] contacted me when she heard I was going to transfer, and we got to talking,” Warren said. “She just seemed really down to earth and honest and that stood out to me – that’s a high characteristic I think everyone should have. I decided to take a chance and take a visit and I like it.”

read more:  http://starlocalmedia.com/opinion/blogs/blog_3/going-mean-green-warren-excited-about-transfer-to-unt-return/article_9f38ec50-3b96-11e5-9dd3-837b3dade7ec.html